New BA/Oneworld Baggage Rules

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Further to my posting above, notwithstanding that there is no direct BA service to CMB, we are using our BA Amex 2-4-1 and we are flying in J throughout, Sri Lankan Airlines are clear that we will have to collect bags off our respective BA/UL arrivals into MAA en route to/from CMB, and then check-in again. This now requires that we have to go the rigmarole of obtaining an Indian transit visa (some USD53 pp) simply for the privilege. So, a great new OW policy implementation that then forces us to run smack into the India tit-for-tat approach to the UK Home Office’s stance on immigration (read: the MayBot’s pandering to the gutter press careerist credentials en route to N0.10).

Jeff
    Participant

I have noted this new requirement that one must have all segments on the same ticket to experience “seamless” travel on One World. I have had American Airlines representatives tell me that the reason was to produce more revenue on the re-check in. But I just had a Cathay Airlines international representative pupon checking in for a U.S. H.K. MNL flight that this rule will be reversed at the first of 2017 as it cost too many One World travelers to miss their international connecting flights and that any potential extra revenue wasn’t worth the hassles involved.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=782397]Nice (halfway) move from CX

http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-abandons-unpopular-oneworld-checked-baggage-rules

Will “To fly to serve” follow the trend ?

[/quote]

MH have done much the same

Travellator
    Participant

BA need to re think this one again and quickly.

One World will be worthless if one member steps out of sync with the rest. IMHO

Jeff
    Participant

With regards to the recent and negative change to One World baggage rules, of not checking bags all the way to your final destination if two tickets are used; the reason is obvious. This is a revenue endeavor to charge for your bags travel, half way through to your final destination. And I have had several American Airline ground staff at JFK admit this to me.
    But a Cathay Pacific ground staff at JFK admitted to me that the extra revenue wasn’t worth all the grief of travelers missing their onward flights because they had to collect their bags, drag them to the next terminal and check in all over again. He also told me that Cathay was reverting back to their old policy of checking bags through all the way, even on multiple tickets at the first of 2017. True to his word, Cathay Pacific, and only Cathay Pacific within One World has now done so. I have been a Qantas Platinum Frequent Flyer and now lifetime Gold for many years. Good-bye Qantas, hello Cathay Pacific. Its obvious they care about getting their travelers through to the final destination in a seamless manner, which was what One World was supposed to be all about.

SimonS1
    Participant

Surely if you want seamless travel you just buy a single ticket? Not separate ones?

StephenLondon
    Participant

I can understand carriers concerns over revenue loss…but honestly, do they not ask people why they buy separate tickets sometimes? Prime examples like using BA Amex 2-for-1 tickets to destinations where BA do not fly. Or recently, my mother had purchased a ticket to London that was not flexible, but decided that she wanted to see an art exhibit in Berlin. She bought an extra ticket to Berlin, and luckily staff at JFK through tagged her bag, allowing her to transit T5 seamlessly. She was not trying to obtain a cheaper ticket, her plans gained a side visit to Berlin that was not envisioned when she booked her original ticket to London.
    oneworld really need to re-think this customer unfriendly policy.

christopheL
    Participant

@ SimonS1 “Surely if you want seamless travel you just buy a single ticket? Not separate ones?”

If I want a seamless journey I now buy tickets with Skyteam or Star Alliance carriers.

Of course it is BA’s right to change the rules if they want to. There is no question here.

My main concern about this change is that it has been enforced to both tickets issued after and before the change. I don’t know if doing so is a standard practice in the UK but I find it very unfair to say the least.

Another concern is that BA sometimes make it impossible to have one single PNR for two connecting flights (using a Amex 241 voucher with a departure from outside the UK and/or booking a trip with a BA connecting flight within South Africa).

I booked 3 different tickets to fly from CDG to CPT using a 241 voucher between LHR and JNB. At the time I booked all 3 tickets it was still possible to check luggage up to the final destination. The rules changed a few months after my bookings were made and thus I had to check in my luggage 3 x 2 = 6 times on my return trip !

Travellator
    Participant

once again I voice my anger. I buy long haul well in advance to get best price then buy my BA domestic leg later, not only for cash flow reasons but timetables can change affecting connecting flights from a region in my case. So I now land at T5 domestic collect my luggage, re check in again go through security all over again wasting their time.
    Senseless really.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

In my experience CX is the only airline within CX that does everything it can to make it a seamless alliance. In the early days of these alliances it was nightmare negotiating the numerous different rules and regulations. Over the years I and probably most of us have become more savvy at planning as hassle a free trip as possible. Alliances benefit the airline first and foremost regardless of the marketing blurb. As one other poster said who are these executives who come up with this crap without thinking it through? Probably those who have never have been on the front line to understand what customer service actually means.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

edit….CX is the only airline within OW…..

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls