New BA/Oneworld Baggage Rules

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

FDOS asked for my views… I haven’t been through all the documentation but my first thoughts are that a policy that allows interlining isn’t the same as a contractual guarantee, and policies can be changed all the time. Airlines close their lounges, for instance, and provide substandard ones instead or even (e.g. the recent closure of the AA lounge at LHR) nothing else at all. I doubt if anyone would have a legal claim unless they had linked the tickets or bought two together in one single transaction – but I suspect that doesn’t happen very often.

The odd thing I have found is that BA are very reluctant to interline EVEN THOUGH it is the SECOND carrier that gets the liability if your luggage doesn’t make it or if the connection is considered protected. So why does the check-in airline care? Maybe something goes on behind the scenes that I don’t know about.

I do remember complaining on here a while back because BA refused to check me through onto a (separately ticketed) TG flight, on the pretext that “we don’t have a baggage interline agreement with THAI” – a blatant lie, as I was able to prove at the time (not that it made any difference) by showing the list of interline agreements that THAI had on their website, and by showing the through-ticketed luggage receipt for my inward TG-BA flights,

Ah well… Just as well that on Sunday when I do the following connecting flights on three separate tickets that I will be HBO!!:
    LED-HEL-HKG-MNL-HKG-LHR

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Thanks Ian

Cloud-9
    Participant

It is no longer possible to check bags through on separate bookings.

I flew LHR/CPH and CPH/LRH/JFK on 2 separate PNRs. All flights were on BA and the lady who checked me in for my first flight said she would send the bags to JFK as all flights were operated by BA.

Her initial attempt to do so failed, so she asked a colleague how to do it. He told her that BAs software now prevents staff from doing this.

She described the situation as ludicrous. I couldn’t disagree.

Travellator
    Participant

As previously posted I travel from a region to HKG all on BA metal, I had to make two bookings because my flight to LHR may have had to be early to facilitate a meeting.
    I arrive at LHR airside so instead of going straight into T5 lounge I have to collect my bags ( 3 ) go to departures recheck my bags and go through security again, possibly an hour extra.

Same on return from HKG – Last Sunday at T5 BA were only accepting bags 2 hours before a flight.
    So I arrive from HKG at 5am with cabana booked in Concorde room, have to collect baggage but wait some hours to re check bags to region, no time for Concorde lounge or shower.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Travellator
    Participant

As an aside the facility of through checking bags to a destination from a region is a great benefit, however if it has to be done then I shall look at alternative carriers from LHR, I am going to have to collect my bags so may as well try one of the other airlines that supposedly give a much better in flight experience than BA at competitive prices.

Time for BA to think outside of their diminishing box.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Again – how does one go landside in a country that requires a visa, and you don’t have one?

Travellator
    Participant

Time for a big rethink BA or are you just going to shove it down us like all the other recent enhancements ?

Anybody out there willing to answer ?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Shamsh1
    Participant

I encountered no problems when travelling on QR HKG-DOH and DOH-VIE on seperate tickets last week. If BA is not capable doing the same – well there are plenty of other airlines waiting for you!
    btw: QR was not only voted the best Airline in the world, it’s slightly cheaper than BA plus comfort and service in C are 10 times better. It’s like a different league!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=696764]It is no longer possible to check bags through on separate bookings.

I flew LHR/CPH and CPH/LRH/JFK on 2 separate PNRs. All flights were on BA and the lady who checked me in for my first flight said she would send the bags to JFK as all flights were operated by BA.

Her initial attempt to do so failed, so she asked a colleague how to do it. He told her that BAs software now prevents staff from doing this.

She described the situation as ludicrous. I couldn’t disagree.

[/quote]

I’m afraid it isn’t correct to say BA-BA transfers on separate tickets are not allowed. The policy was changed again on 8th July and such transfers are now allowed. If you were prevented from doing so it was either before that date or because the staff lacked the relevant competence.

Full details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1767540-ba-no-longer-interlining-baggage-separate-tickets-43.html#post26889448

Travellator
    Participant

Is this change of regulations confirmed ? I have a couple of multiple sectors on separate tickets to book, prepared to stick with BA if luggage interlined.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Thank you. A positive u-turn. However, still not permissible at LHR or LGW. Do you gave any idea which airports can now check to final destination please?

ASEANTraveller
    Participant

TiredOldHack. Unfortunately you need to get the relevant visa to be able to go landside. In all the Asian and European countries I have been to, there is no exemption to go landside just to re-check-in your bags. The burden will be on you I am afraid.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=705126]Thank you. A positive u-turn. However, still not permissible at LHR or LGW. Do you gave any idea which airports can now check to final destination please?

[/quote]

It should be possible anywhere you are doing BA to BA. If refused demand to see the supervisor. It isn’t a systems issue, just a staff training matter.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=705097]Is this change of regulations confirmed ? I have a couple of multiple sectors on separate tickets to book, prepared to stick with BA if luggage interlined.

[/quote]

Yes. Check out the FT thread/post I quoted for further info.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

I have just completed a journey with 2 separate bookings:
    – SIN>TXL via DOH with QR landing at TXL at 12.20pm.
    – TXL>ORY with AB departing at 6.20pm the same day.

Both flights were booked on the respective airline’swebsite. After a doubt, the check-in agent at SIN successfully issued a boarding pass for the AB flight and I collected my luggage at ORY in the end. Just like before, there is no guarantee and can be only confirmed at the airport.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls