New BA/Oneworld Baggage Rules

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

Can someone update me on BA to BA flights on seperate tickets if translining of baggage is accepted.

I am travelling from a region via LHR and on to Asia.

It would be a pain to have to collect bags off domestic flight arrivals then take to departures recheck and go through security again.

Cloud-9
    Participant

I flew JFK/LHR/CPH and CPH/LHR on separate tickets, but both on BA, in August.

Despite pointing out the various points raised in this thread and elsewhere, it was not possible to check bags through to LHR end destination.

Travellator
    Participant

So which leg was it

Travellator
    Participant

Still attempting to get clarification on this issue, I have read all the FT posts but still no definite answer.

Phoned BA today and I was informed that region e.g. MAN or BHD via LHR to e.g BOS or HKG all on BA flights but 2 separate PNR’s NOT possible to transline bags.

Unless anyone knows different.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Surely if you wanted BA to transfer your bags you should have bought one of their more expensive through tickets? Oneworld made it quite clear earlier in the year that separate PNRs meant you had to re-claim and check in the bags again resulting in inconvenience for passengers and chaos at many hub airports and even a few missed check in deadlines where you then have to buy a new ticket. If you want the services of through ticketing buy them with a through ticket or expect to have to reclaim and recheck your bags.

BA to fly to inconvenience you.

Travellator
    Participant

The long haul tickets ( in F )were purchased before the regional tickets as our plans for the timing of the regional leg to LHR were not able to be confirmed from my itinerary at the time.

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=770298]The long haul tickets ( in F )were purchased before the regional tickets as our plans for the timing of the regional leg to LHR were not able to be confirmed from my itinerary at the time.

[/quote]

And you expect BA to be sympathetic and flexible because?

To fly to maximise BA profit regardless of other considerations.

Travellator
    Participant

It was just a complete change in what has been the norm almost since time began. In many ways I can appreciate BA not translining to other carriers even One World but not BA to BA.
    In future knowing that more than likely I will have to collect and re check my luggage I will look at other carriers more seriously even if it means a transfer from T5 to T4.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=769594]I flew JFK/LHR/CPH and CPH/LHR on separate tickets, but both on BA, in August.

Despite pointing out the various points raised in this thread and elsewhere, it was not possible to check bags through to LHR end destination.

[/quote]

Totally different issue – it never has been possible to check bags through to the end destination where the same airport appears twice. If your last leg had been CPH to LGW (example – before a pedant jumps in to point out BA doesn’t fly the route) it could have been done.

I believe the current policy is BA will tag through but only on BA to BA flights.

Travellator
    Participant

Thanks SimonS1
    I am getting various answers from BA, some yes some no !
    The flights are

MAN – LHR LHR – SIN
    SIN – LHR LHR – MAN

The LHR/MAN and LHR/ SIN are different bookings.

Outbound would be inconvenient but OK if needs be.
    Return lands very early so would collect baggage go to Departures but would be too early to check in for MAN so have to wait in the concourse until check in opens.

SimonS1
    Participant

My understanding is they will do it if you stand your ground. Technically it is down to the manager’s discretion so you may need to insist on speaking to a supervisor if you get a jobsworth on check in.

On the return I thought you had to clear customs at the first point of entry to UK so I don’t see many options there.

Travellator
    Participant

Thanks again Simon

If the bags are checked through to MAN on the return they will clear Customs after collection there, this may or may not happen. It depends on staffing at MAN.

christopheL
    Participant

Nice (halfway) move from CX

http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-abandons-unpopular-oneworld-checked-baggage-rules

Will “To fly to serve” follow the trend ?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

ChristopheL #782397

Thanks for the link. A nice touch from CX and it shows what can be done when an airline is rather more oriented towards its paying customers than towards its shareholders and the pay packets of its senior management. It also reminds me why my personal purchasing behaviour has switched around 180 degrees: to use BA when I have to but other OW members when I can. Which is why I have enjoyed CX several times over recent years plus QR and am shortly to try out AY and UL too.

Perhaps when Walsh and the Directocracy at IAG start noticing and understanding what their numbers are telling them, they might start “to get it….” I am not holding my breath though.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Checked in at AUH for QR flight to HEL via DOH. Asked if they would check bags for BA flight HEL/LHR. No problem!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls