More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 803 total)

• StephenLondon
    Participant

@Ian_from_HKG:

What you say is very true – some carriers have nice touches such as BA in ORD (3 flights/day) and the QF SIN lounge slightly busier. With smaller numbers of passengers, more possibilities exist.

The problem BA have at LHR vs. say CX at HKG and QF at SYD are the restrictions placed on them by Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd. No open flame, no deep fat fryers, and even the majority of catering toasters on the market are NOT permitted at T5 (and indeed in many of the other terminals). This is fine when operations are small, but when you have the volume BA do through their lounges, it raises a different game when it comes to the menu. When you add on the challenges of a change of supplier (where all things are not equal – access to kitchens, plates and glassware vanishing, staff changes, etc.), you have some hiccups. Many, many ideas have been suggested by BA, only to have them dashed by the ‘elfin safety brigade at LHR. It hinders what BA can do. Can they do better when it comes to catering? Certainly, but a bit of patience helps.

The lounges are still very comfortable places to relax before a flight…light, airy, nice views of the airfield, free pour alcohol, snacks and food. BA can’t be all things to all people, but I still enjoy my time in the lounge, and if there are a few catering hiccups along the way, it is small compared to the overall proposition.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Ian there is an a la carte menu in the CX first lounges in HK, I had no idea ! Where are they hiding this menu, or is this a new idea ? I haven’t been in there in a few months. I agree with you on the buffet table, always excellent offerings and champagne with a smile.
    BA buffet tables have always been slop based dishes, that never seem appetising. The cook to order menu is limited but the better option, the only crux is finding someone to give your order to when the lounge is busy. I must look at the biscuits when I next pass through, short hauling only at the moment so I seem to be simply in and out.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

HongKongLady, it is only The Wing that has the menus, and they were introduced as part of the renovation of The Wing F lounge which opened earlier this year. Now, as you go into The Haven, they will generally hand you a menu as they show you to your table

canucklad
    Participant

StephenLondon…..Never had the good fortune to fly BA 1st so never sampled the first lounge….Like yourself I find the galleries South Lounge very good, apart from the bland hot food offering……

Doesn’t fit with Boutique Hotel mentality…..

You’re comment about the H & S elfin’s intrigues me…..there is always a solution to a challenge…….BA just need to grow some O’Leary kahuna’s!!

After all, without BA …LHR is dead in the water….BA should be able to call the tune at T5 ……after all they are the ones that pay the piper !

Travellator
    Participant

Ian-HKG

Where in relation to the BA F/QF lounge is the wing – is it far from the usual BA gate ?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Travellator, the BA check-in is at one end of the departure area, CX at the other. If you start at the BA check-in and then go through security and immigration, you would normally turn right along the upper level to get to the BA/QF lounge. To get to The Wing you would turn left instead and proceed to the other side of the building (about a ten minute walk). However, the route that way is either a bit roundabout or requires you to go along a long narrow passage, so in fact I would recommend that after you check in you walk to the other entrance for security and immigration near the CX check-in desks. Then, after you exit immigration, just turn left on the upper level and The Wing is right there. And it is totally worth the walk! Again, about a ten-minute walk to the usual BA gates, but probably better to do that on the lower level. Bear in mind flights are NOT called in the CX lounges. If you do use the lounge, in addition to scoffing the food, try to give yourself time to use one of the cabanas 🙂

Travellator
    Participant

Thanks Ian

Our next flight is the later BA28 so loads of time – usually leave 4S about 8. The QF/BA lounge leaves a lot to be desired ! Also according to FT Dashboard BA 28 is predominately ancient F !

HongKongLady
    Participant

Thanks Ian, I have only been in the wing a couple of times since it’s refurbishment. I have never been given a menu, will be there again in August so will look out for one. I must say I like the new lounge but I did prefer the restaurant how it was the acoustics aren’t great in the new one. I find it a little ‘school dining hall’ with the noise.
    Travellator it is well worth seeking out as it is far superior to the BA one. As is the business one.

esselle
    Participant

if you tire of the lounges in HKG and want a lively atmosphere, try Café Deco, near the BA lounge.

Great food, and most nights a live jazz combo as well!

Papillion53
    Participant

Hi Canucklad – thank you – we had a wonderful time in God’s other country – we had lunch at the fabulous Jo Fortes in Vancouver just before heading to YVR – I do love that city! I will be doing a flight review, just a bit tired and catching up on lots of hugs from dogs who have missed their human mum!

I will just say that we had a pleasant lunch in the CCR dining room yesterday and very professional (and smartly turned out) staff – I asked if they had some smoked salmon – not on the menu – and my request was an immediate “oh course Madam, let me get some for you.” with a smile! I liked that very much and the smoked salmon was delicious too!

Didn’t wander into the Flounge, but LHR was absolutely heaving, so I imagine so were the lounges.

DiaMan43
    Participant

Now I am a big BA fan, but the changes in all lounges have spoiled the BA experience !
    The only crisps are now plain sea salt -what ! I look forward to the yellow mature cheddar crisps and a choice. To cover the cost saving they have jars of cardboard stuff covered in horrible e-number atificial flavourings Ugh!.
    I flew to Edinburgh on a flight that started boarding at 17.50 and having told my wife I wouldn’t need a meal when I arrive home at 8.00pm, there’s no hot curry or any hot food. They are diminishing the premium experience that makes BA fans. Are they trying to drive me to the cheaper Virgin flights to Edinburgh? All the lounges Gatwick/Heathrow etc have the same plain crisps choice – what a disappointment.
    If anyone from BA is reading this, get it sorted before we all fall out of love with you.
    One compliment,I don’t know if there has been a change of wine buyer but over the last few months I have noticed a real improvment in the lounges and on board.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I’ve never understood the single flavour of crisps thing. Whenever I’ve bought them they are the same price, regardless of flavour, so surely it can’t be a cost saving measure?

DiaMan43
    Participant

Yes Bucksnet, it is a strange one and I can’t see any other rationale behind removing all flavoured crisps from the BA Lounges apart from eith cost saving or perhaps space?
    I was advised by one of the catering staff in the lounge that lots of people have been complaining to them about it but what we all should do is write a note in the lounge’s Comments Book. Apparently that is read everyday by BA and more attention is paid to that than the catering staff passing comments on. I hope lots of people do write a note and complain to get this changed.

Stretch
    Participant

I was in the First Lounge early on Thursday morning. The hot breakfast options were very good, the viennoiserie not so. The biscuits in the jars are very good; far better than the Walkers biscuits. Obviously at 05:30, there aren’t a lot of passengers using the lounge, so quite a pleasant experience over all.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

And Snr Management and I were in Galleries South very first thing on Saturday en route to IST for some peace and quiet. Okay, not a working day so things were probably a tad more relaxed but there was a constant flow in and out.

The place was reasonably clear and tidy, the hot breakfast items entirely palatable and I quite liked my bacon buttie. Cereals – okay, so they don’t have the “Madness Mansions” brand of home-made granola – pastries, fresh fruit salads etc all entirely edible and well stocked. But I don’t expect to eat as if it’s the Ivy, or my local Indian take-away for that matter.

After the furore over the Walkers biscuits, I just had to check out for myself the state of play. Frankly, in comparison with the tired old Walkers shortcakes (still available on First Great Western for the hard-core devotee), the apple crumble biscuits (for starters) were simply scrumalicious. Having first examined them for micro-bacterial contamination and snot infestation (viz. previous posting on the subject…!) they appeared safe to consume and I felt safe in standing down the Chemical and Biological Defence Establisment at Porton Down. Snr Management had then to caution me that my consumption rate was inconsistent with medical advice regarding my hiatus hernia and the need to lose weight… 🙂

Oh, and I checked out the spirits on offer. Yes, there is still at least one pure, single malt: Glenlivet 15 years. And who on earth drinks Kahlua for pity’s sake? It’s presumably there on much the same basis as creme de menthe used to be: for bizarre colour combinations. Either that, or is Kahlua best drunk with a particular flavour of crisp? Beyond that, I don’t partake before the sun slips below the yard-arm so there was no chance at 06:30 of my being collared by Inspector Knacker for slipping a bottle into my luggage.

The minor gripes: Snr Management wants the mugs back – rather than the “pathetic” cups and saucers – so that she can have her morning bucket full of tea. I do think that the management need to get a better grip on managing the staff who did not appear entirely co-ordinated. And why cannot they have a counter to which plates, cups etc can be returned by those of us who prefer to clear up after ourselves?

All-in-all, as institutionalised nose-bags go, entirely reasonable and distinctly preferable to aimlessly wandering around the Westfield shopping centre below.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 803 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls