mistreated when travelling with a toddler on business class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

• 1nfrequent
    Participant

“We had bought 2 business class seats, and we were seated on 2 business class seats during the whole journey. So why are we treated like some freeloader who is trying to take advantage of the system?”

Exactly. You bought 2 business class seats. You did not buy 3 business class seats. If you want to sit with your son and look after him in business class, then you either needed to swap with your husband or you should have bought an extra ticket. Personally, I’m at a loss as to why you had to sit in economy when it seems you were doing all the running around. Your husband clearly needs educating in his duties as a father.

“Unfortunately for this trip, I was downgraded by my company to economy class due to cost cutting.”

I’m confused by this. Why were you taking your family with you on a business trip? If this wasn’t a business trip, then why wouldn’t you pay to upgrade or buy your own seat?

1F

MartynSinclair
    Participant

try buying 3 in economy next time………..

marcopolo007
    Participant

1.No SQ’s fault
    2. Next time 3 in the same cabin
    3.”A while later when I returned to check on my toddler, I find that he has slipped down while sleeping, and the seat belt is almost at this neck area” : Blame YOUR husband, NOT the airline!! PLEASE!!!

john1234
    Participant

few things:

1) you’re lucky you were not flying on an us carrier. SQ was kind to you
    2) completely agree with post above re your husband taking care of the kid and your sense of entitlement.
    3) the fare rules on that particular route require that “MINOR MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN THE SAME
    COMPARTMENT BY ADULT PSGR.” for a reson
    4) this is general comment, not specific to your situation. there should no kids in biz. people who pay 10k for a flight should be left to have at least some peace. if you have an adult passenger making noise they get told to be quiet. Not so with kids whose and their rich parents who leave their spoiled kids to their own devices and annoy the heck out of others in the cabin (i’m generalizing of course there are well behaved kids of rich parents – especially if they have nannies sitting next to them.. jk).
    5) i hope your day is better then when you wrote this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

strange how it took 6 months to post. Perhaps all other forums and avenues for moans had been exhausted…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Another first time poster bringing nothing to the forum and probably trying to use this as a means to extract some compensation.

Let’s for a moment be generous and assume they could not afford 3 biz seats, then let hubby sit in Y or else buy 2 economy seats for one parent and the kid and one biz.

Anyway, what was the husband doing all the time – sleeping after he’d had a good go at the in-flight booze?

They were good and kind enough to let you sit in Business during take off, but why should you expect to stay there for free just because your child is there?

Sorry Gracie, no sympathy at all from me and by the looks of it most of the forum!

oldchinahand
    Participant

What is the mindset of these people,pure greed I suppose?

Its not feasible of course but this nonsense from Gracie and her ilk would be greatly reduced if airlines kept a register of these greedy nuisances and refused to accept future reservations from them.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I am going to disagree with you all.

The whole family should have been upgraded to first, existing passengers removed from their seats and a play area set up including waterslides, merry-go-rounds and a jumping castle.

I can’t believe this didn’t happen.

But seriously…clearly (as already stated by others)… she should have bought 2 Y class for her and her son but was hoping to use the kid as a way of flying in J for free. The fact the ‘accompanying adult’ father was doing nothing confirms this.

Now I need an asprin.

gracie88
    Participant

Guys,
    Maybe I have not explained it well…..
    We had 2 seats in business class, so why did SQ insist my son sit on his own and the infant seat belt is not safe??? If it’s really not safe to use one, then why when we were upgraded and had 3 seats, we can use the infant seat belt?
    Pls enlighten me?

Henryp1
    Participant

Good morning all

Just to say that I fully agree with all posts in response to the original poster.

Henry

oldchinahand
    Participant

We had 2 seats in business class,……

That is the issue you paid for only 2 business class tickets and then remorsley and it seems aggressively persued SQ to accomadate the 3 of you .

If you want 3 people accommodated in business class then buy 3 business class tickets

Your argument that you were in any way badly treated by SQ cabin crew is totally without merit.

WeeTravels
    Participant

Gracie, just give it up! Someone who can afford (or has a job which pays for) business class flights should be intelligent enough to realise how ridiculous your post is.

Your whole post is just a lot of nonsense about nothing. It’s an inconvenient situation that you have created by booking you party into 2 different cabins and you’re blaming others for rectifying the problem – but not to your advantage.

If all you cared about was your child’s welfare, all your post needed to say was SQ flights do not have adequate safety provisions for a 2.5 year old (which we all know is not true).

I really think that your post is the most unreasonable I’ve read on this website. I even joined the forum today just to say so!

rferguson
    Participant

Grace you were very fortunate that SQ allowed the three of you to sit in the J cabin for takeoff as there really was no need. There is no reason at all why your husband could not have taken charge of your son during that phase of flight. I imagine the SQ crew used their discretion in allowing you to use the extension seatbelt. Sometimes it happens like that. Sometimes rules such as though do need to be bent a little especially if it is the only practical way a child can be ‘secured’ for take off and landing. There is the ‘age limit’ but there is also a size issue. Some children are very small for their age and are safer in the extension seatbelt. Others that are within the age range for the extension seatbelt (just) are very large for their age and could comfortably sit in their own seat.

Also it’s worth noting that the US carriers have never had a requirement for infant seat belts. I am forever receiving grief from US originating customers that don’t want to use them for their children.

I always do find it interesting how people complain about the children/toddlers in premium cabins….or flying on aircraft at all. In my experience as crew the kids cause very few problems. It is more and more the case that the parents of the children cause the most issues.

I’m not sure why but some parents really expect special VIP treatment on aircraft when they have children, as if they are a select few on the planet whom have procreated. I’ve had two experiences recently that have just made me shake my head in wander.

The first, on a JFK-LHR flight. Mum, dad, child and nanny on last row of Club World. Second nanny (yes two parents, two nannys, one child) sat second last row of Economy. Child slept the whole way. We land. Pull onto stand. Doors to manual, seatbelt sign off. Dad to me: ‘errm excuse me. Can you fetch my nanny from 52B to help us’. My reply: ‘we would have moved your nanny up to club for landing had you asked earlier. There is no way I am going to be able to get to the back of the aircraft now that everyone is stood up’. He then proceeds to throw a full on tantrum ‘That is DISGRACEFUL service. Do you know how difficult it is to travel with children??!!’. This is just as a mother traveling on her own,no drama at all, in Y with two little ones ambles down bags thrown over shoulders and neck, kids hanging off of her. I seriously could have laughed.

And more recently passing through security in SIN. The female passenger with her toddler in front of me having a full on yelling and screaming match with the poor security officer that had told her she could not take her 1.5L bottle of water through security. Speaking to this poor man like he was something she had just walked on ‘but i’m allowed the water as I have a child!!’. Errrmmmm…..no you aren’t. The biggest shock was when she boarded the aircraft later and had a major go at me because I didn’t intervene! Can’t win sometimes….

gbchotrani
    Participant

Pardon me, but I fly SQ almost always, with my wife and young daughter since she was 5 months old. She’s almost 4 now. We usually do business/first class, but for short haul it’s economy sometimes.

In these perhaps 20 flights these few years, we’ve never encountered any problems such as described by OP. SQ staff have been exemplary and supportive in all ways possible.

I also have had to travel with my very elderly mother (83 years old) who is wheelchair bound. In the most recent flights to Australia, she even required urgent oxygenation midst flight because of breathing difficulties – SQ made her journey as comfortable as possible.

In all travel situations, we travel same class together. If you can’t do it together in premium cabin, go economy and take the 3 seat row to yourself, open the armrests and let the kid sleep.

Common sense. The complaint is distorted.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

gracie88 – this has to be an early april fools post !!

rferguson – your story reminds me about a friend of mine who works for VS. A passenger boarded and handed her child over with the comment, please bring her back once we have landed!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls