mistreated when travelling with a toddler on business class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

• Anonymous

gracie88
    Participant

I am writing to you to let your readers & Singapore Airlines know how their crew has been treating passengers travelling on business class with toddlers.

On 13th Sep 2012, I, husband and toddler (2.5 years old) were on our way to San Francisco (via Seoul). My husband and toddler had business class seats, while i was in economy class.
    During take-off from Singapore, I requested to sit with my toddler and was allowed to use an infant seat belt. The crew didn’t ask about my toddler’s age or thought it was inappropriate for him to use the infant seat belt. He fell asleep soon after and I was immediately and abruptly told to go back to economy class. Having travelled frequently with SQ, I know this is their style. Once they assumed that you are trying to take advantage, they will forget that you have paid good money for 2 business class tickets. A while later when I returned to check on my toddler, I find that he has slipped down while sleeping, and the seat belt is almost at this neck area. I asked the crew about safety measure but was told there was none, and I cannot sit with him, even if his life is endangered. Worse, during turbulence, either I or my husband had to run to his seat, and buckle him up with the infant seat belt. This happened about 4 times. Needless to say, we didn’t enjoy the business class at all, and worse were very cross over the lack of safety measures for a toddler travelling in business class.

On our flight from Seoul to San Francisco, SQ has upgraded me to business class due to overbooking. So though we have 3 business class seats, we left 1 empty because I prefer to sit with our toddler throughout.

On 30th Sep, we return taking the SQ flight from SFO to HK. During take-off, we were told that the infant seat belt cannot be used on business class and that it will inflate, making it a hazard to the child. But we clearly remembered in 2011, when we travelled with our toddler (10 mths old then) from Newark to Singapore on business class, we used the infant seat belt. So we asked to see the safety protocol standards, but we were told it is not possible. The crew argued that it is impossible that they are wrong, and they insisted that my son sit on his own in his seat. When we asked “so who’s going to be responsible if anything happen to my son?” He replied “SQ”. Out of curiosity, I asked “HOW?” He replied “we will compensate you”???????!!!!!!

We had a temporary resolution by agreeing to let my son sit with me in economy, but in his own seat. After take-off, we reached an understanding with the inflight supervisor that my son will sit on his own in business class if he is awake, but if he wants to sleep or throw tantrums, I will be allowed to sit with him. So, we thought that all is settled right? NO! When I swop seats with my husband, and my husband move from economy to business to sleep with my son, the chief steward used a torch light, shine it on my husband, and told him “get back to economy class!” This behaviour left me speechless. We had bought 2 business class seats, and we were seated on 2 business class seats during the whole journey. So why are we treated like some freeloader who is trying to take advantage of the system?
    We were told that though we have 2 seats, but if one of us insists to sit with my son thus occupying only 1 seat, we have to leave the other seat empty!!!??? We had such a terrible time on the flight that it was the worst journey of our life, and not to mentioned that we paid good money to be tortured and humiliated!!

We were told 4 different versions of the so-called “safety protocols” Why is there no consistency on the safety measures for toddlers? They are too young to sit on their own in business class, but too old to be using the infant seat belt. But they wouldn’t be in that “awkward” age for long! Hence shouldn’t benefit of the doubt be given to parents like us, instead of assuming that we are trying to abuse the system? We paid for 2 business class tickets and were forced to occupy just 1, when clearly our concern is just our son’s safety? And not to mention that we are seasoned travellers, having travelled on SQ business class many times. Unfortunately for this trip, I was downgraded by my company to economy class due to cost cutting. So why did SQ assume that I, a Gold Krisflyer member was trying to beat the system? I take about 30 trips a year with SQ!

In conclusion, I cannot concur with SQ’s way of treating their customers. In addition, will SQ kindly comment on the correct safety protocols for toddlers between 2-3 years of age, so we know if we should continue to be its customers or not? If SQ insists that they sit on their own business class seat, what happens if they unbuckle and climb down their seat halfway during take-off? What happens if while sleeping alone with the seat belt fastened, they slip downwards (very possible since the business class seats are big, with seat belt designed for adults not toddlers) causing the belt to be on their neck area, with the possibility of choking them? What happens while sitting alone and there was turbulence, and we couldn’t get to his seat in time (considering the new business class seats are not directly accessible even if they are side by side, since they were designed to provide maximum privacy)?? We will appreciate that SQ would comment on how they intend to compensate their passengers if anything were to happen, like what the chief steward had commented!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Maybe next time you should buy 3 seats in the same cabin.

My relief at not being on these particular SQ flights has made my weekend…..time for a celebratory vino methinks…..

Rgds.
    AOTG.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sorry but got bored halfway through your ramble. What is your issue, that you bought 2 business and 1 economy tickets and were surprised when you couldn’t all sit in business? Why not just buy 3 tickets in business?

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Mmmmmmmmmm Gavi .

MReedGB
    Participant

and yet again..another boring tantrum of people who actually want to save money and use the toddler as an excuse to get the outmost advantage ! Poor toddler indeed..when parents are too cheap to think sincerly over its own safety and comfort…SQ is a good airline and I support their attitude to kick out those who want to get advantage for free !!

Binman62
    Participant

I am huge defender of parents with kids but frankly this simply plays into the hands of those who wish kids banned from premium cabins.

2 seats in business means two passengers, not 3 sharing – even if one is a toddler..

Children aged 2.5 years are not infants – they cannot sit in your lap no matter how overly protective you may wish to be.

You were not entitled to be in the business cabin and despite the crew being helpful you choose to complain. There also appears to have been a total absence of gratitude for the upgrade received and for the flexibility shown by the crew at every stage of the flight.

Your were lucky to get what you did and in future can you decide before hand what cabin you wish to travel in an then remain in the seat allocated. You will be doing the crew, yourselves and your fellow passengers a world of good.

alexlondon
    Participant

You booked different cabins, so had no ‘right’ to be with your child at all. My advice is either all book in the same cabin, or to ensure you choose an airline which offers an ‘unaccompanied minor’ service. BA does long haul and parents are welcome to go and check on them in a ‘lower’ cabin, but not (quite rightly) vice versa.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

I cant see a real fault on SQs side.

The problem is that you feel entitled to sit in business class although one of you has to be in economy.
    And if you permanently switch seats, because your kids is sleeping, angry, hungry or just bored, the whole process is quite cumbersome for other passengers, especially the ongoing discussions.
    Also it seems your husband didt do anything watching your kid?

Next time, buy 3 biz tickets or buy 2 eco for you and son and let your husband sit where he likes.
    You even got upgraded once, so you should be grateful for SQ. And: your son is 2,5 years old, so he pays a seat. If you are 3 people in biz class on 2 seats, you still basically occupy three seats.
    Or would you like to travel in a cabin where some setas are occupied by two persons, sitting on each others laps?

WoburnMan
    Participant

I really got bored reading this article – but what the hell was that all about your husband and child were in biz and you were in economy ! Think you might have not negotiated your plead correctly with your man!! but why not just book all 3 in the same class – I don’t get that! I would want all my family in the same class if money is the problem then you must downgrade your circumstance I would …

StephenLondon
    Participant

You get what you pay for…should three of you wish to be in business, then pay for it. Otherwise, just what is your complaint? If safety is the issue, then cut the histrionics of where you were sitting, etc., and focus on your concern.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Who are these juvenile goats?

Children deserve the respect of being properly described.

Sharpnovice
    Participant

Exactly what was your husband doing?

Edski777
    Participant

I think Gracie should have an idea of the forum’s view on this by now.

It’s a weird story that raises more questions than can be answered by forum members.

It certainly is a strange way to act like this and complain. No one can claim any priviliges if not paid for. Gracie should apologize to SQ for this post!

HongKongLady
    Participant

I suggest with all seriousness that you teach your husband how to look after your child whom I am presuming is a son, enough to enable them to both sit together successfully in business class for an entire journey so the other paying passengers can have a peaceful flight.
    Generally children sit wonderfully in most cabins with a little proactiveness by the parents and people are very forgiving if children cry a little as long as the parents look to be trying to soothe them.
    The crew seemed to be as helpful as they could be short of actually saying go a head sit in business all the way the trips on us !
    Although I have seen Cathay do this when a helper had to be called to help a mother whom had lost total control of her children, lack of practice I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls