Manchester Airport shambles continues

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1216386]

If BA did boats they would be P&O.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Armed police called as travellers climb through curtain to try and retrieve bags.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/video-shows-manchester-airport-passengers-24129318

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Most airport police are armed so I think it would be more appropriate to say police were called rather than armed police were called

I am still struggling to understand why if the furlough scheme was so successful so many staff up and left did they resign or were they made redundant

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1216495]

Maybe, but if the police were armed then “armed police” is factually accurate.

There were definitely redundancies at Manchester.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-redundancies-pay-cuts-20388662

Keith
    Participant

Anecdotal but I heard lots resigned whdn they realised they could earn similar wages starting at a civilised time. Yes also a lot of redundancy which has diminished skills and expertise
    One story I heard was after a massive recruitment campaign lots dropped out during training and the net of leavers outcome was a net -7 negative result

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1216505]

Except “armed police” were called, sounds a lot more dramatic than “police”. If police are called airside, they are going to be armed anyway.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

The situation appears dreadful and without any solution in sight.
    I agree nothing to be gained by pandering to tabloid tastes by over dramatising a minor every day incident

I have no real idea of how UK airport operators are regulated but as clearly the current operators are incapable and if they have of a government remit to run the place it should be removed and a (perhaps interim solution) an operator with expertise put in place

Unless my memory fails me this operator also runs a couple of other also failing UK airports as well as seeming well managed airports in Europe and across the world. Perhaps there lies a quick solution i.e. bring in proper capable management and also pay and train the existing non management staff properly.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1216619]

MAG operates three UK airports; MAN, STN and EMA. IFM, an Australian infrastructure fund, owns about 35% of MAG, but has no active role in managing any of its operations. IFM also have infrastructure investments in other airports and ports around Europe and Australia.

Airports operate on a number of models but typically the day to day activity will be contracted out. This means contractors and sub-contractors deal with most of the “customer facing” elements, either on behalf of the airport operator, or airline(s). Albeit that certain airlines employ their own staff at their “base” airport. This is turn means a raft of different SLA’s are in place. Then there is a government agency (Border Force) to add to the mix.

The only compliance standards are mandated by the CAA and DFT, and these relates to safety and security. “Customer experience” is not mandated.

When things work well life is good, but is it any wonder, given the model(s) as described, that it descends into finger pointing when they don’t?

2 users thanked author for this post.

LaundryMan
    Participant

What a shambles today at T2 it took more than three hours to get through security with only TWO out of NINE security lanes operating – we started queuing at 3pm and finally got through at 6.15 pm

No management no explanation what a disgrace to us poor passengers

I have travelled through Heathrow T5 recently which was a pleasure compared to the chaos at Manchester

ILuckily Jet2 has some operational issues a]which delayed many of their flights by two hours

The only advantage I can see is that there was no time for any food or purchases so the airport must be losing money

However a 750 bottle of water is charged at £2.29 – just a horrible experience

In fact I did not like the new design of T2 with many facilities either closing early or just not open

Now I can enjoy my holiday in Portugal !

LaundryMan
    Participant

Reading article in The Times does not offer much benefit to us “the poor customer who I have to use the airport” when the Chief Executive claims that 92% of customers are getting through security within 30 minutes. he should have witnessed the chaos last Friday (as I reported above) – it was purely shambolic with only two of the nine security lanes open in T2 – until Manchester gets it operation back to what is expected my family and I will use LHR which is inconvenient but at the leats the drive down the motorway will compensate for the poor customer experience at MAN.

Having said that we arrived back at MAN T2 this afternoon and had to queue more than 30 minutes for Border Control but the line did keep moving and all 15 e-gates were actually operational – at least the luggage was waiting for us

….but what a long walk from the air bridge to the Border Control where we passed a sign that new facility will open in 2020 – the airport cannot even update the murals to say when it will actually open !!

They should have been prepared for the uptake in numbers and hopefully the new man ex Gatwick will sort the mess out ? Time will tell

alistairNicoll
    Participant

1. half an hour does not sound particularly impressive what are the official airport targets and how do they compare with pre pandemic

2. and how long are the 8% waiting

Typical management speak lets ignore the fact that a significant proportion of our customers are having an awful experience and pretend things are OK

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls