Manchester Airport shambles continues

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Looks like more of the same for the long suffering people of Manchester.

“An airport spokesman said the delays were caused by ‘a greater number of passengers than expected'”. Seriously, surprised by the number of people who had purchased tickets in advance?? Do they still employ people with half a brain in management roles?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/utter-shambles-manchester-airport-passengers-23306382

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

FaroFlyer
    Participant

The article says that “Normal service has been resumed”, so it’s not going to get any better!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Staff shortage. Airport bosses ask firefighters to handle passengers’ baggage.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-firefighters-load-baggage-23279210

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Manchester airport has to be one of the most uncustomer (sorry) airports in the world they simply could not care less about the people using the airport and only interested in extracting as much as possible. Long amazed how airports claim be surprised at the numbers and just goes to show the lack of customer focus.

Any airport with a customer focus would be looking at the numbers booked on a daily basis not just for that day but into the future to predict surges

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Isn’t it the same owner as Stansted? Another grade A dump.

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1205901]

In the past when things have gone wrong at MAN the management have blamed everybody else. At least now they have the grace to say it is their cock-up.

But to say there were more passengers than they expected is total nonsense. Every airport in the world knows when planes are scheduled to arrive and depart, and the load factors on them.

Wrong type of wind/rain/snow/sunshine/clouds/temperature/people/anything would have been a more credible response.

I’m flying back to MAN from my holiday in Melbourne at the end of the month. Hope they know I am coming; I would hate it if I surprised them by being on a plane they weren’t expecting!

6 users thanked author for this post.

Maccboy
    Participant

Would like to clear up a few things:

1) the fire fighters are employed by Manchester Airport plc
    2) the loading and unloading of baggage is the responsibility of the the handling agents in this case it was TUI’s agent Swissport
    3) Fire fighters aren’t trained to handle bags
    4) if firefighters were taken away from their normal duties then an airport would have to close due to lack of cover. It happen recently when firemen were forced to be used as paramedics. It only reopened when fire cover was restored to the appropriate level!

As In all of these cases Manchester Airport are blameless. Handling Agents are fined and could lose their operating licenses should Manchester Airport and CAA seem fit. I should know I spent 30 years working for one!

4 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1205904]Handling Agents are fined and could lose their operating licenses should Manchester Airport and CAA seem fit[/quote]

That’s interesting. But what the situation at LHR T5 many people continually report baggage handling delays. This has been going on for years but nothing appears to happen !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This report by MEN is a few days old. Two hour delays. Passengers missing flights. Reminds me of the situation at BER some months ago.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/utter-shambles-manchester-airport-passengers-23306382

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1205991]This report by MEN is a few days old.[/quote]

Yes I posted that link in the OP a week ago.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1205991]

Alex – I have not experienced any baggage delays whatsoever the last three times I have passed through T5 in the last 3 months.

I have a close friend who used Manchestr airport out and return in the last 10 days and he said it’s a “disaster zone”. He said checking in/bag drop takes a couple of hours frequently and border control is not much better.

He’s a frequent (business) traveller and is at his wit’s end about it if it continues when passenger numbers return to normal.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I flew out of Man March 3 from T2, fast track security 45 mins , absolute joke. The regular security line I would hate to think of the time taken, easily over one hour. Security supervisor commented it’s always very busy in the morning due to the number of long haul flight! So they know it will be busy, I didn’t see how many screening lanes were in use so not sure if all were open. On a separate issue our SQ boarded from one of the original T2 gates, the air bridge was broke! We had to walk the length of the plane in the pouring rain to rear steps. Manchester is without doubt the worst UK airport.

Vistaro
    Participant

Heads up MAN — my wife and I arrive on the 1st April at about 07:50 on Aer Lingus from MCO – just wanted to make sure you’d got me on the arrival list PS I suspect there’s a few others coming on the same flight, perhaps worth a call to EI to check? If you need more info I could perhaps text when we leave MCO with the number of PAX on board , that should give you 9 hours to get it sorted.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BA passenger Peter Lynam arrived into MAN yesterday. He says the flight from LHR was “full.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls