Is the “new” BA First that good?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 181 through 188 (of 188 total)

• esselle
    Participant

I would maintain that BA’s problem is that you can never be quite sure what will be waiting for you when you board. Old F with great crew beats NF with grotty crew hands down. Sometimes the food is nice, sometimes dreadful. NF, with great crew, and good catering, is pretty fair, frankly, but the sense of apprehension you get walking down the airbridge to the plane has no place in the experience.

Suggesting they follow ME carriers with hard product will never solve the problem.

transtraxman
    Participant

@Anthony Dunn
    What is the “etiket”(sic) regarding misspelling of words and incorrect usage of grammar?
    I was given to understand that a stopper had been put on such practices as correcting fellow posters. However, if I am wrong then a lot of correction would go on – and I do not mean to non-native speakers.

Papillion53
    Participant

I was only wondering myself yesterday where some of our posters were, including VK – come out, come out, wherever you are! πŸ™‚

AnthonyDunn – I think the problem with spelling is predictive text e.g. In typing in Transtraxman,,I first got Trans Axman, eh no try again, Trams Ansam, eh no, try again, Transmanage – what??? I know I can switch it off, but how??? No please don’t tell me – that was a rhetoric question. Thank goodness the predictive knows how to spell rhetoric! Apologies Transtraxman but it was to give a great example! πŸ™‚

Others are using their mobiles to post which I am led to believe does not always leave one in control of the keyboard!

I find I can understand most posts with incorrect spelling, grammar etc., all perfectly well without being pendant icy, no no no that should have been pedantic! See what I mean??? LOL!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This rally shows how unimportant spelling actually is…..

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

…. only kidding, but what do you really expect when the kids use spell checkers at school or they are not down marked for spelling errors!!

Papillion53
    Participant

Ah laddie, ma first thocht was a weel, he’s awa haverin’ wi the Doric agin! But nah, nah, it wis some blethering fae a mannie in England! I wis able to read a’ the words, so nae bad for this wee quinie fae Aberdeenshire!

And you won’t believe the problems I had trying to type the above with predictive text!! LOL!

That’s fascinating Martyn, as I used to proof read a lot, so I do pick up spelling mistakes etc fast, and even though I knew that wasn’t right to my eye, I could read it with the same speed I usually read. Is it a case also of we read what we think we see? Very interesting, thanks Martyn! πŸ™‚

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ transtraxman – 08/01/2013 18:53 GMT
    @ papillion53 – 08/01/2013 22:25 GMT
    @ MartynSinclair – 09/01/2013 08:55 GMT

I must either have been asleep or elsewhere when it was possibly mooted that there were to be no spelling corrections on BT…

Albeit that I too make the odd mistake, I have to confess to having been brought up in the old school of the “King’s English” and having worked for a Permanent Secretary at the MoD who was an absolute stickler for correct punctuation, spelling and syntax. It has rubbed off.

It is also a continuing source of astonishment (and shame) to me how it is that kids learning English as a foreign language are clearly better able to spell and write grammatically than many British native English speakers. The wide availability of spelling checker software ought to make things easier but it would appear that speed of response is preferred to accuracy by many. And this post is emphatically NOT meant as “digging out” BB (or anyone else for that matter), whose posts I almost universally enjoy reading.

At the risk of sounding utterly pompous on the issue, I will leave it there.

Papillion53
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – I agree with you! I find it atrocious the lack of writing, spelling and general communicative skills of some – from the addition of “like” to the end of every sentence – which drove me totally bonkers the other day in the hairdressing salon; to the use of “of” rather than the correct “have” as is in “they should of had that”! I think my response is usually a silent scream, now that is a contradiction in terms!

I too was brought up in a learning culture where we stood to recite and where a rap over the knuckles was not a reason to tell the teacher to go forth and multiply, rather brought the shame and worry about the follow up row at home that was guaranteed to come when the parents found out. No rushing to school by them, blaming everyone but their little darling!

I still wouldn’t correct someone’s writings on this forum, my red pen doesn’t work here!!! πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Anthony, dont worry about it, thanks for pointing out my mistake, I have now corrected my spelling.

I wonder if any of you lot have thought about a career in teaching or writing a book on the topic? :o)

Viewing 8 posts - 181 through 188 (of 188 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls