Is the “new” BA First that good?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 188 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

AnthonyDunn@03:16

How true! Would we all be so judgemental if we were open to such critique? I doubt it very much.

Having worked all my life in service industries, it is one of the hardest things in the world to be all things to all men or women – in fact it’s just downright impossible!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 08/01/2013 03:16 GMT

Have you considered that the reviews posted here are from real travellers, covering the spectrum from BA lovers to BA haters?

I’m towards the middle, but a little towards the Hater end, as I think the airline is okay, but no more than that. And if someone does not pull their finger out and improve the business class product, they will lose share over the next few years, as the competition catch up or pull ahead. I already rate Swiss, Etihad and Jet as better c class seats than NCW and it is living on borrowed time as it is still better than the angled lie flat offers from LH et al.

Having flown over 1,100 times in the last 10 years (with over 100 of those on BA), I think I have a fairly good handle on how BA rates against the competition.

GordyUK
    Participant

lloyda – but “feel” is subjective.

Don’t get me wrong, i really like the look and feel of BA N/F but in a total polar opposite to you, i LOVE the close-door suites of EK. Not saying either of us are right, but at least WITH the doors, you have the choice, whether to close them or not

lloydah
    Participant

Indeed Gordy, you are quite right. Just as well both ends of the spectrum are represented as generally the more choice the better.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

In fairness, I did think the doors a bit of a gimmick when I first flew EK, however, it gives my brain the impression that I am a lot more private for sleeping.

I use EK fairly frequently always connecting in Dubai. (Unless I am going to the UAE of course!) fI use leg one (GLA – DXB) to enjoy the vintage, excellent food and IFE….I leave the door open on this leg so the crew can keep my glass (glasses sometimes) topped up. I then enjoy their lounge in Dubai with their particularly good restaurant.

Then the doors come into their own on leg 2 – DXB onwards, I simply adorn the jim-jams, a quick night-cap (or 2) and as soon as the seat-belt signs are off I am in bed, door shut, do not disturb sign on and I am in my own little ‘room in the sky’.

Like most on here I’ve tried various airlines 1st class/business products – BA (a lot), Virgin (a lot), United, Qantas and Etihad too, of them all and by some margin the best sleep I get is with Emirates as it feels more private and less like I am in an aeroplane. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I find EK to offer the best service / product overall – btw, I am in no way affiliated with the airline nor am I on any sort of commission !

It’s curious (to me) that BA invokes such a strong reaction from many of the posters on here – either in the pro or against camp – I speak as someone fairly new to the board and not really all that bothered with who has what preference to which particular airline, it does rather appear that whenever BA is brought up there’s a different ‘feel’ to how the conversation flows.

Just an observation – not meant as an attack!

Rgds.
    AOTG.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

AOTG

I think there is a reason for the BA situation, there is one very strong proponent of the company on the board and I think this prompts equally strong reactions, a little like Newtons 3rd law 🙂

@ GordyUK- 08/01/2013 11:42 GMT

I too found myself very entrenched in the BAEC.

Its FFP is excellent and its hard product in premium cabins is good (if a bit cramped!).

What finally got to me was its CC. Don’t get me wrong, I have had a handful of good experiences, usually in Euro Traveller! But in any cabin this is the exception rather than the rule. I am always surprised when I hear ‘Excellent crew’ and BA in the same sentence. BTW, I have a Gold card and have clocked up many miles with the airline.

Time for a fresh start with airlines flying from T3, T4 and in the near future T2.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Agree with AotG.

EK suites are excellent. Once got 9 hours straight sleep out of SYDNEY to Dubai with doors closed.

If one lives in the M25 area, BA are unavoidable since they fly direct to most places and the excellent BAEC retains a HUGE amount of loyalty. The hard product therefore does not to be the best of class, merely adequate to keep the business, and that it does.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Has anyone heard or seen from Vintage Krug recently?.. only he hasn’t posted for over a week, especially on this topic… not like him 🙁

BB, I haven’t seen him lately and I’m beginning to worry. The place is just not the same.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

From previous years, certain posters appear to be in recess during January.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 08/01/2013 16:59 GMT

And there I was thinking that places like Gstaad/St Moritz would most certainly have broadband access….

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Anthony, I doubt he’s the sort of person that ski’s, some how i couldnt see it… lol :O)

edited spelling.

Last night I was watching CNN (without the sound on) and that guy Richard Quest appeared. For some reason I immediately thought of VK.

VK, apologies for talking about you while you are somewhere out there. I agree with Becky, I don’t think it’s the Alps. I bet it’s somewhere subtropical. Anyway, I hope you are well and Happy 2013 (to all).

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@alexpo1 – 08/01/2013 17:37 GMT

I do think that you are being a tad uncharitable in conflating VK with the utterly obnoxious and mind-bogglingly irritating Richard Quest – wherever in the world he is right now. Come to think of it, it has to be Florida, probably via Fort Lauderdale….

Oh, and BB it’s “skis” (no ‘e’!)

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 188 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls