Is the “new” BA First that good?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 188 total)

• Anonymous

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

Since BA announced new “FIRST” we all got excited about the media hype and all wondered if the next flight would have the new cabin or not.

Now that I have had a chance to experience the (it apears) two slightly different flavours I am not so sure it is that much of an improvements (say compared to Emirates First). Why???

Well in my humble view. let me share my feelings aobut new v old BA First.

For the new first class:

1. The personal wardrobes offer better security and convenience
    2. In the take off/landing position the seats are more comfortable if you have short legs like me.
    3. The new window blinds are quite attractive
    4. The IFE screen is (at last) bigger than a tablet.

Against the new first cabin:

1. They have retained the old wardrobes betwene 1A/1K so if sat in those seats you still have the annoyance of other passengers laoding bags/clothes into them all thruoght the flight and banging the doors because they dont close at all well.
    2. If in 1A or 1K you still have no overhead locker, unlike the other passengers.
    3. The new seats do not appear to be any softer (Club seats are better)
    4. Seat adjustment – bad news. BA has gone for trying to be trendy rather than function. making them far less adjustable or comfortable. Some young trendy has tried to copy the BMW control knob for the seat. Result – you cannot control the seat very well. For example you cannot raise the legrest fully without going pretty much into sleeoing position.
    5. The seats are still narrow (compare with EK or SIA).
    6. No privacy doors
    7. The new screen is tacky and rattles – rather similar to my kitchen oven door.
    The new blinds are really for the convenince of the crew – close them, turn up the cabin temperature and get the punters off to sleep so we can relax.
    8. Despite the strike being over for a long time, 60% of the crew really don’t care to work or look after the passengers. “Dine when you want” – please don’t wind me up. SERIOUS training is required to match the standards of EK, QR, EY, SQ etc.

Now I am alwys open to being corrected, and as a significant (and poor) shareholder, would love to be corrected. Am I so wrong?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nice trip report here:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flyingwithfish/2010/06/04/british-airways-new-first-class-%E2%80%A6-a-whole-new-experience/

You’re quite right; like you, I avoid 1A and K.

Personally, I prefer an open and airy cabin; privacy doors are a gimmick and I’m please BA didn’t adopt them.

Fewer seats might give more space in real terms, but the New First seat is designed to give a sense of space. And of course reducing the numbers of seats would have the effects of increasing the cost and reducing award availability.

When compared with the US carriers who are BA’s main competitors, New First knocks spots off the current offering.

When it’s installed in the A380, and hopefully the 787, with added space and improved technology, it will be a terrific product.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I think its fab and lush!!! Have only done NF twice and had no problems. I think privicy doors would be nice add on. The control knob is great and much better than buttons. BA should of put fewer seats like in Cathys first so the seats are bigger and you get more space. Cant think what the big deal is about sitting in 1A or K it feels so much smaller but only on a jumbo?

xx

BeckyBoop
    Participant

When are the A380 & 787 coming into service? I will be surprised if they stick NF on 787s because i think i remember on another thread someone said they were not for designed for long haul flights?

Senator
    Participant

My sample size on Old BA F is exactly 1 trip from LHR-CAI, and it was a pleasant experience.

I am booked on NF on Boxing Day to JFK and I can come with a comparison to NF on LX.

I do look forward to testing this out; and in seat 1A on the B747-400 🙂

theworldtraveller
    Participant

I was told yesterday on a flight that the a380 and 787 are both due with BA from the first few months of 2013

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm. Does seem to be 2013; must have slipped yet again….!

millionsofmiles
    Participant

At least in terms of seat comfort and personal space, Lufty is leading now on the 747:
    – You have a first class seat AND a separate bed, the whole upper deck only accomodates 8 people (on 747)
    – You have the FC terminal in FRA and similar facilities in MUC with limo from lounge to the plane

The NF in BA pales in comparison, and (at least) in FC Lufty service is excellent.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Millionsofmiles do Lufty provide lifts on board for pax in wheelchairs, disabled or elderly to get up to and down from the upper deck with ease or is there a seperate airbridge during boarding? xx

Binman62
    Participant

NF NF gives the impression of comfort and exclusivity. It is stylish without the bling!
    I like IFE screen, lights, shades and wardrobes.
    I do not like the reduction in personal space which has been caused by the introduction of the personal wardrobe and this reduction IMHO is noticeable.
    I will be shot down again……… but, and again IMHO………… this is simply not a new product but a rehash of the old one especially, the seat which is identical to the old one aside from the controls. BA focused entirely on the North Atlantic where the product out shines anything the competition has to offer. Go east however and it nothing more than a glorified business product against some carriers.
    The biggest problem with NF however is inconsistent delivery both of the hard product (you simply cannot guarantee it unless on the 777 to SYD.) Some routes have a high probability but BA will not guarantee it. That and inconsistent crew, catering and frankly awful IFE content let it down.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Binman, you are guaranteed new first on BA’s new 777-300ERs, but the only eastbound flights at the moment are HKG and NRT. As for the rest of the fleet, rolling out new airline cabins cannot be done overnight.

RichHI1
    Participant

Probably should be in 380 thread but following Becky’s question was wondering…
    As BA use buses at LHR when they run out of gates, do the upstairs doors on 380 have facility to use steps? Long way down.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

@ BeckyBoop

Seriously, I dont know. I believe to remember however that an upper deck airbridge is used, where existing for the 380s.
    But then, not for the 747. Does BA have that, I havent seen it when I flew in BA F.

RichHI1
    Participant

I have never seen 747 loading through upper deck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 188 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls