“I’m ready to fly – are you ready to serve?”

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 196 through 201 (of 201 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

I was travelling from RUH to LCA via AMM on Royal Jordanian late last year. On the flight from RUH I was asked politely from the stewardess if I minded moving back a row so a man could sit next to his wife, which I agreed, actually it was a good move as the foot rest seemed to be broken on my allocated seat.

On the flight to LCA there was a family of 5, this was in business on a 170 so 1-2 configuration. I was in 2A, father was in 3A and mother in 2D asked me if I would sit in 1A, I said I would if the stewardess says it is ok. I was then told it would be better for me because of the children etc etc, essentially saying that the kids would annoy me if I didn’t swap. Passenger in 1A turns up, but in the mean time the mother keeps on at the stewardess. Eventually the stewardess asks me if I would sit in 3A to which I agreed, stewardess and husband were most grateful.

I don’t mind swapping to help people out but I won’t be brow beaten or accept a poorer seat

DavidGordon10
    Participant

What an unpleasant experience Martyn, and dutchyankee …. + another 1.

I have had this kind of thing from time to time – my favourite is when I had booked the window seat (Y, short-haul) on the day when I booked the ticket; then the guy in the middle seat asked if I would swap because, he said, “I don’t like sitting in the middle seat”! I don’t either matey, but I planned in advance. When I declined his request, he was a frosty as hell for the entire flight.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@icenspice – just to clarify, this was a last minute upgrade, only purchased because 1D was available. I did at some point indicate the passenger could reimburse me for the cost of the upgrade (received a grin back).

@handbag – absolutely right, my mistake was not to have cabin crew to deal with rather than try to solve myself

The ONLY person swearing and shouting was the unrelated person in row 5..

The window seat was occupied by Mrs, breastfeeding a baby, the middle “seat” was occupied by a girl aged 2 or 3 and the aisle seat occupied by Mr.

The worry I did have was I would be left sharing with Mrs + 2 children..

Please remember, I chose this upgrade after a long day and 1D was available….

@LP the problem is also exasperated by no boarding card checks…

canucklad
    Participant

Martyn, it’s an interesting irony that you chose this topic to comment on your awful experience yesterday.

My dissatisfaction with BA many a year ago, that resulted in me boycotting them started with me being asked to move my seat to accommodate a couple and a family on a flight to OZ. Thus separating me from my mate for the full duration to Sydney. If memory serves me right, the request sounded something like this……..

“Due to a mix up I’m going to have to ask you to move seats “

After a convoluted game of musical chairs I then found myself in the same row as the mother and toddler , enduring a trip from hell. No thanks offered at all !!

And LP, you’re spot on with your comment about this needless need to raise revenue through an ancillary charge. .

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

So they let people sit in the empty middle seats in Club Europe?
    If mother was at window and kid in centre, I would have been annoyed anyway, even I I didn’t move.

SimonS1
    Participant

So you were supposed to switch seats without being given the choice.

And you were supposed to go and search for the CSM?

And in any case why was a child sat in the middle seat – in CE this should surely be empty.

All very well being recompensed by Avios but really not impressive.

Viewing 6 posts - 196 through 201 (of 201 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls