IAG to mount legal challenge against quarantine arrangements?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

• openfly
    Participant

The quarantine doesn’t apply in Wales, so if you can find a flight to CWL…just nip up the M4 to London. Bingo, problem solved. How ridiculous.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000236][/postquote]

I suggested last week NI/Scotland/Wales were not part of the quarantine. However, I think that aviation is not a devolved matter, so I guess that the three governments will be leaned on very heavily to close the “loophole” quite quickly, if this becomes a major issue.

However, the UK government cannot influence the Rep of Ireland, so the Dublin to Belfast route may need to be used by those flying for business ex-UK and back.

GivingupBA
    Participant

ASK1945 said, “However, the UK government cannot influence the Rep of Ireland, so the Dublin to Belfast route may need to be used by those flying for business ex-UK and back.”

That’s right. This, and other loopholes, and the huge number of exemptions, shows how ridiculous the whole thing is.

EITHER quarantine everyone;
    OR quarantine no-one

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1000247]I suggested last week NI/Scotland/Wales were not part of the quarantine[/quote]

It’s in effect as of today, even though Holyrod has to ratify the specifics around Scottish legislation

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Slightly off-topic, as not about BA’s possible legal challenge to quarantine for travellers, but related to Business Travel, this article is in today’s Times and belongs in the “you couldn’t make it up if you tried”:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/quarantine-poses-threat-to-channel-tunnel-trade-g7zpnxsk6?shareToken=b3986b68fb1e4d53de12b2edd45cc020

It is behind a paywall, so for those who don’t have a Times subscription, this is a cut down version, minus some of the explanatory text about the quarantine measures:

The boss of the Channel Tunnel has criticised Home Office “intransigence” over the new quarantine rules and claimed that Britain’s “vital supply chain” to Europe was under threat. Mr Gounon said that Channel Tunnel emergency crews would have to complete a 27-screen form to obtain exemptions before they could respond to an incident.

Mr Gounon said: “Limited consultation by the Home Office and departmental intransigence have led to a situation that puts a serious risk on the efficiency of operations at the Channel Tunnel, a vital link in the Great British supply chain. The exemption to quarantine for staff who cross the Channel many times a day . . . turns out to be an administrative burden for each crossing that will require much time to set up and deliver.”

Mr Gounon’s biggest complaint was that “emergency crews will also have to stop and complete the form on their way to an incident”. He said that the Home Office travel rules meant that each member of the Eurotunnel team, including emergency crews, would have to spend “hours every day filling in 27 screens for each of up to eight daily crossings of the Channel”.

Mr Gounon wrote: “Unfortunately, intransigence about the form and source, not the content, of the data means that our data is not acceptable, unless it is input by the individual every time they cross. We have raised practical solutions to the Home Office but there is a resistance to simplicity that renders our proposals fruitless.””

The emphasis of some sentences is mine.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000236][/postquote]

You couldnt make this sh@t up if you wanted too…. what a crock!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Can anyone clarify the quarantine time limits?

If my understanding is correct there is currently a 14 day self quarantine requirement in place for 21 days from 8 June. This means, I think, that anybody landing in the UK up to and including 28 June must self quarantine for 14 days. If the quarantine regulations are not extended this means that somebody landing in the UK on 28 June must self quarantine, but somebody landing 1 day later on 29 June does not need to self quarantine. Or, does it mean that on 29 June quarantine for all ends?

I am not questioning the Government’s ability to organise brewery events, but the logic escapes me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

The time limit is clear as explained above, what is not clear is the logic …. or there is none?
    This could be from ‘Yes Minister’.

3 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

Oh Capetonianm…..that’s offensive to Yes Minister! 😀

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000495][/postquote]

You may say that, but I couldn’t possibly comment

ASK1945
    Participant

Tom, one has to wonder why they took a week to mount the JR.

They could have asked the court for a “stay” last Friday, pending a full hearing. This would have been granted if there was a prima facie case.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I believe they were working behind the scenes to try and find out if the quarantine would be very short lived.

(Bloomberg)

“British Airways parent IAG SA wrote to the Home Office to start a process to block the measure last week, but was left disappointed by the government response. On Friday, the Home Office declined to immediately comment on the lawsuit.”

ASK1945
    Participant

Anybody with some political nous – and given their reasons for the challenge – could have told them that a temporary injunction would have been quicker and cheaper. The government might have even privately welcomed it, to avoid a further damaging U-turn.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Not entirely on topic, but as an aside on the question of open vs closed borders, a question for you:

Which part of the British Isles closed its borders completely quite early on?
    Which part of the British Isles has not had a confirmed case for over 3 weeks?
    Which part of the British Isles has just ended (almost) all social distancing regulations?

The answer to all three is the Isle of Man. The UK’s mistake is not to introduce quarantine now, but to have had nothing at all in place for the last 3 months. But what do you expect from a country whose Borders Agency does not know even in normal times who is in the country – because it has never checked passports on departure

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls