IAG to mount legal challenge against quarantine arrangements?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Willie Walsh saying on Sky today that IAG is considering a legal challenge to the government’s quarantine arrangements which are effective Monday, and they are meeting their lawyers today.

In May BA flew 485 passenger flights, which they would normally have done by lunchtime of 1st of month, and this has led directly to the mass redundancies. He says IAG would have re-started 45% of flights from July were it not for the “irrational legislation”.

The suggestion is there are other airlines willing to join in.

Not often I agree with WW, but on this I wish him the best of luck in helping to get the country moving again. I do hope BA is looking at extra capacity on the Dublin route, as a workaround.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s a link to part of the interview

And then defending the proposed job cuts (separate thread!)

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

This is the full interview

openfly
    Participant

The other scoundrel in our local aviation, Mollie, is possibly joining Willy in the legal protest. Interesting.

ASK1945
    Participant

It will be fascinating to read the basis of a challenge on a Statutory Instrument, which had gone through Parliament, and arising out of an Act passed by Parliament earlier this year.

If the lawyers believe that BA has a case, it can only be to challenge this by Judicial Review surely – which could just delay implementation, if the Administrative Court believes there is merit sending the challenge to the full court.

Maybe the in-house legal team have found a flaw in the legislation – we shall see soon.

PhilipHart
    Participant

WWW and MOL should join suit with Simon Dolan, who is challenging the legal basis of the insane lockdown …

Legal Challenge to the UK Govt Lockdown

ASK1945
    Participant

Thank you for the link, Philip.

Given the number of defeats the government has suffered in the UK’s Supreme Court (where ultimately this may land in due course) I would not be surprised if the legal challenge described in your attachment is successful.

Nevertheless, I do wonder whether the challenge that may be instituted by WWW (and MoL) can be on the same grounds as that against the general lockdown? I am not a lawyer so do not have a view whether it could be, or not. However’s today’s discussions with lawyers must surely have been about a request for an injunction, to be lodged in the Administrative Court, to stop Monday’s quarantine upon entry for everyone (with some exceptions), Covid positive or not.

The Dolan legal challenge is a substantive case, after the event, rather than before.

PhilipHart
    Participant

Don’t disagree in any way whatsoever @ask1945 that these are legally different issues.

Just wanted to raise some small awareness of another legal challenge to HMG’s utterly bonkers decisions.

rferguson
    Participant

I don’t understand the logic of the UK quarantine regulation.

Firstly, the fact that I can:

Land at LHR positive for COVID-19 and be put in quarantine.

I am then able to take the tube or other public transport home.

Say I live with two other flatmates (very common for people to house share in the London area) who are not under quarantine.

I can leave the house to go supermarket shopping.

And perhaps the most baffling aspect – I have just arrived from a country with a very low R number that was not significantly affected by COVID in the first place. And have now been placed in quarantine by the country that has the third highest death rate of COVID in the WORLD per capita.

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000094][/postquote]

It seems that most government ministers understand all this but, even after all that has happened, won’t stand up to Cummings or Boris, who don’t want the loss of face from doing a U-turn.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000094]I don’t understand the logic of the UK quarantine regulation.[/quote]

@RF, and don’t forget the numerous get out clauses, from essential workers being exempt to routing into the UK via Dublin. It appears no more severe, than the rules governing lockdown, without the daily exercise…

capetonianm
    Participant

There is no logic, there is no coherence, there is no proper enforcement, and the rules, or rather, advisories, are vague, badly worded, impractical, and in most cases pointless.

It’s a mess. A bunch of 12 year olds doing a school project could have come up with something of greater value.

4 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000097][/postquote]

Maybe they should partner up with the youngsters running BA’s IT department. That would result in something exponentially useless.

SimonS1
    Participant

Really it’s a difficult one. On the one hand the legislation is badly timed, with clear loopholes (Dublin), and can only hinder the recovery of the travel sector.

On the other hand politics is about popularity and there is an obvious need to pander to the Daily Mail/Sun types who insist that travellers are to blame for coronavirus and something must be done….blah blah…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000100]On the other hand politics is about popularity and there is an obvious need to pander to the Daily Mail/Sun types who insist that travellers are to blame for coronavirus and something must be done….blah blah…[/quote]

It is fair to say the European, Asian and Australian/NZ areas who had controls at their borders from a very early stage, have suffered far less than the UK have suffered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls