How unhealthy are you?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

NTarrant, I now understand why US visitors are generally more corpulent than British flyers. It is due to the distances wlaked in T3 and T5. I do hope the designers are factoring this in the T2 rebuild and will route arriving passengers with a nice stroll through sunny Sipson? If it is so beautiful let’s share it… 🙂 I see coallition is starting to see how dumb cancelling runways was ;-))

NTarrant
    Participant

That’s a good point, although I have a hunch that one of them was eating more than before.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m afraid Nigel, that watersz is right on that point. Muscle is heavier than fat and that’s what you burn off.

Have a look at the Rugby players now playing in the World Cup. Some of these guys are heavier than me but there is no fat on them at all. Just pure muscle.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

MartynSinclair et al: I begin by saying I’m no expert and while I’ve read a bit it’s more my experience that I go on. I’ve always tried to be pretty fit, ground in to me at boarding school to start with and then years of competitive sport which always included gym training.

My only real experience of stopping was post a pretty bad accident about three years ago when I was knocked off my bike and had my hip smashed to bits, lots of surgery and rehab followed. The best way I can describe what happened to my muscles is that they almost seemed to melt, diminishing in size quite dramatically, mostly lower body. It was noticeable and at one point I tried on a pair of bike shorts and was quite shocked – just imagine slack lycra!

My physio did a lot of measurements and over the time I had to stay still and non-weightbearing I think I lost about 15cm off my quads – upper legs and almost 20cm off my glutes, nothing turned to fat and the skin just shrank and I was just smaller in size. Sitting felt very strange too as I was sitting on bones rather than muscles.

A lot of work (physios are probably more evil than personal trainers) and I got back to where I started, it took about 18 months to rebuild everything and see ‘my body’ in the mirror.

That’s the only time I’ve ever really not trained, on holiday I tend to follow my daily routine just because it makes me feel good and I enjoy it. I take an occasional day off from it if I’m really tired e.g. post long haul trip but I think that’s only about six times a year

You certainly can eat what you want but I’m not and never have been a junk food person, I don’t think I’ve walked through the golden arches in 30+ years.

I eat food I enjoy which is a lot of protien, mainly chicken and fish and some beef, heaps of vegetables and salad, some rice and pasta. I probably drink alcohol a couple of times a week and always when flying long haul provided it’s decent!

Walking can be cardio but not necessarily effective. To be effective, you need to raise your heart rate, how far depends on your age and there’s heaps of information around about zones and ranges.

Weight lifting can be extremely effective cardio – you just need to lift less than your max, I normally do about 75% and keep the speed up on the reps, your heart rate will soon rise and you will see muscles build and fat drop off, if you can do it, it’s a win win as normal cardio can get very boring whcih is why gyms have TVs in front of bikes.

I find the core stuff very important to maintaining general strength and posture. It’s hard to start with – find a video on youtube of piking on a swiss ball and see if you think you can do it! When you can do four sets of eight over two minutes you’re achieving and it’s not bad cardio either, using your own body weight rather than iron. The core stuff is great for developing a strength that stops other muscle groups hurting when you push them, the balls are cheap and you really can do it anywhere.

I suppose I do it because I enjoy it and I like how I look and feel afterwards, it gives me good posture and so on. Give it a go!

NTarrant
    Participant

Rich thats interesting. If you want a good walk after a flight then LGW, BA domestic arrivals is a good trudge, with an added bonus of a long flight of stairs if parked on an international stand!

NTarrant
    Participant

LP yes those rugby players are big and full of musle. What is quite funny about that is that when they weigh, like you say more than you and me, their body mass index will be sky high and they would classed as obest. Don’t think Johnny Wilkinson is in that category.

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn and others mentioned medical supervision and this to me is key. a little knowledge is a dnagerous thing. A sedentary lifestyle needs one body type, marathon runners, sprinters, football players and all sorts of highly active sports peope need others.

Martyn I used to take Hindu and Indian vegetarian meals on BA flights until a friend told me it was a good way to get profiled for security post 9/11. Apparently some countries lump Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims and anybody else who wants to be different together. I believe you will see the irony in this….

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

NTarrant: The body mass index is the most misguided tool I think I’ve ever come across! I think it was invented by dieticians to keep them in work and make everyone else miserable.

My GP told me about a year ago that I was obese, rather pi&*ed off with the way I was spoken to, I pulled my shirt off and asked him to find the fat, he apologised and muttered something about PCT targets. I couldn’t resist telling him that I thought professional judgement outweighed anything to do with PCT targets!

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

For every expert view there is another giving differing advice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14882832

though personally I trust to “in moderation”.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Lp sweet… you mr are a bad influnce!!! After this mornings meeting with our big investor and the board i open my big mouth and ask why they cant settle the deal over a cigar? the investor laughed his head off and gave me a hug, kiss and droped a fat cuban on my desk before he left. He also pointed out that this is the “old boy network” terriotry (what ever that means) which he misses and sadly no room for it these days only on corrupt and shaddy business deals. Cant see our hero WW agreeing a deal for BA on a puff can you??

I would love to have dinner with you :O)) but dont think you can just run me off with a cheap maccy ds or an airport lounge buffet. I am in Montreal towards the end of the year and Barcelona next month and hopefully nyc in dec, otherwise you fly me to you or you come and get me! so you have to fly to serv..lol…oh and if the wife gets jelous (my bf now is) bring her and i will bring my bf..lol xxxx

Another thing how are some of you lot able to spend to much time on this site???? txt, fb, watsapp, bb messenger, msn, skype now this… is this fb for grown ups..lol x

xxx

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Ahhh Becky, like ships in the night we pass each other by. I’m in NY, Lugano, Amsterdam and London in November, then December through to March in S. Africa, my second home!

Enjoy the Havana, take it slowly to begin with and remember, never inhale, just savour the smoke before blowing it out. Never stub it out when finished, but just leave it to die in the ashtray when you’ve had enough. Suggest you smoke no more than the half for the first time. Then if hooked, as I’m sure you will be, buy some more to enjoy. Really helps the brain to think!

“Old boy network” is traditionally for those who went to English public (ie. private) schools and have permeated the city and boards of top companies.. Absolutely not for shady deals. Those guys would smoke cigarettes. Ugh!

And yes, from memory WW does enjoy a cigar. Had lunch with him a liitle while ago and we discusssed it.

I would never take anyone to MCD, BK or any other fast food joint. For me fast food is what you eat at 35,000 feet! Follow me on Twitter and you’ll see where I am and if we’re both in the same port at the same time then dinner for you, b/f, mrs. LP as the case may be, is on me at the best joint in town.

Not really spending a lot of time on the site or twittering – same nom de plume! I usually add posts when in airport lounges, on the plane (to go after we land) or while sitting back watching the cricket.or golf (as I’m doing now).

Happy Travels.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@LPPSKrisflyer – trust me I am no expert either, we are all different and treat health differently. I am sure there are some that will smoke a Havana whilst on the tread mill!!

Your comments about what happened when you had your unfortunate accident confirms what I sugegsted will happen to muscle (albeit not turning into fat, but changing into flab). This is one of the reasons why I wont get too focused on gym work and creating muscle.

I am very pleased though to read that despite it taking 18 months, you got back into shape. The one thing that the male specie is better at than the female specie is dedication and focus, when trying to change, i.e. diet related or stopping smoking. Men succeed more than women (why do I feel a whipping from Ms. Boop!!

May I ask one question LPPSKrisflyer, you age, purely to understand exactly what you managed to achieve in those 18 months.

Well done once again for getting back into shape and thanks for sharing, some useful information.

RICH – I am not going to rise to the bait on the profiling possibly being dependant on what you eat – DONT, please DONT wind me up, oh boy, I feel the rush of blood already, breathing deeply here………….in…………..out………….thats better!!!

NTarrant
    Participant

Oh dear Martyn! I am sure you will get an answer from the female side from our delightful Becky!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

@MartynSinclair Just to clarify, muscle did not turn to flab, it just melted and I grew visibly smaller, the size of my legs particularly changed significantly, flesh was still quite tight. I’m 51 but have never allowed age to get in the way of achievement and I don’t intend to either!

I laughed about the treadmill and Havana, when I was first at boarding school, our running coach who was an evil man used to smoke while chasing us on cross country, making threats about what he would ever do to any boy he caught smoking (which he carried through at every opportunity!)

watersz
    Participant

agreed muscle will simply ajust to the new demnads of the body its merly the cross sectional area that changes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls