How unhealthy are you?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

@LPPSKrisflyer , many thanks for the above. Apologies for my description, of muscle to flab. Being a similar age, well 12 months behind, now with my OCD focus on health and diet, the question is whether I am in fact keeping healthy or just melting away. Whilst this may be sound light hearted, you have opened my eyes a little more.

I hear the comments, a little knowedge is dangerous, but to me a knoweldge is king. I am going to a place full of Dr’s and amazingly, its not a hospital. I am sure I can find one to answer the question.

Thanks again LPPSKrisflyer , you have gone to the top of the list of BT forum members I would most like to meet (now there’s am interesting topic for a thread)!!!

stevescoots
    Participant

Never been to a gym, Never will. If i felt the need to excercise I dont see the point in splashing out giving money to a company when i could do it in the comfort of my own home/room. I dont watch what i eat, I eat unbalanced and iregular. I smoke 10 fags a day and probably drink averaged out a 2 glasses of wine a week and a couple of beers.

I do walk a lot though, I always do my stretching excersise on long haul (in the galley) , I can swim about a mile (last time i tried anyway)

At my last check up about 8 weeks ago i had normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol count, HRaR of 65, I am 6 foot dead and come in at 13.8 stone.

so, i think I will stay out of any gyms 🙂

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

@MartynSinclair Thanks for the comment. Maybe one day we will if our travels coincide enough.

The only thing I would add is that I’ve never found doctors to be particularly good at giving advice on fitness. Medicine as a profession is concerned with pathology and disease and that’s very different to positive health.

I’ve got more out of a good personal trainer who I see occasionally more to check my technique and provide me with new challenges than regular sessions and an odd session with a nutritionist than I ever have from a doctor.

The guy who was my physio post accident was also pretty inspirational, having got me moving he started working with me and making me compete against him, that was hard, he was 26 and extremely fit but he saw me as a man who always responds to a challenge and on some fronts, I did beat him.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

We all deal with health and fitness issues differently. Thank you so much for opening my eyes with a different view.

I am fortunate that the cardiologist who looks after my diet/wellbeing comes from a background and culture where the open air, vegetarian food and general fitness as well as religious and lifestyle beliefs complement some of his health treatments. I will also add, that I now see my Dr on a voluntary basis and whilst his religious views are very different to mine, I embrace any view that assists in my wellbeing and general increase in health and do not consider this to be ‘crossing the line’ as far as medical ethics is concerned.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls