How unhealthy are you?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

• Anonymous

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Guys you are all so demanding and very fussy when you fly with all this champers, posh food, nandos and pb&j sarnies (hehe ;)) and it made me think how unhealthy are you?

None of you talk about going to the gym or working out while on a trip? now i only fly on avaerage about 1 a month max and my trips are very short so i can treat myself to all the lux stuff and i work out 4 days a week in the gym and swim and run, but you lotfly more and stay longer… so how healthy is your lifestyle? xx

watersz
    Participant

Always stay in gym hotels and average 3-4 times a week
    home and away!

it takes a certain temperament to to this ragime and a change in lifesyles to the point I would feel guilty not excerising

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Very unhealthy lifestyle.

Last week alone, I took 6 flights and visited 5 countries.

Problem is long days, tiredness, the need to work in the evenings as well as the day.

Basically, I try to eat modestly, but it is always a struggle, as are the side effects of flying so frequently.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bip, bip, bip, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep…..
    Clear…..

NTarrant
    Participant

I work out two or three times a week when not away and nothing else clashes with our routine. Quite agree with Disgusted long days, needing to work in the evenings etc. Never use hotel gyms, too boring for what I usually do.

Tend to eat odd things at wrong times, try and catch up to normality where I can but usually that is when one is home. Why is it that when you fancy a walk when you are at a hotel that is in a location that you can enjoy it, it is either too hot or raining or just right when you don’t have the time!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Becky, what a nod to us unhealthy travellers. I’m up in the air twice a month but this usally involves at least 6 flights. November will be a total of 10 flights.

Unlike my distinguished fellow posters, and despite flying F and C, I never drink the champers or wine. I may have a small glass of port with some cheese but that’s about it.

However, I do enjoy my lunch and dinners when travelling, though if alone these tend to be eaten in my room. If stresed tend to snack a bit moe than I should. Hence I’m not the thinnest of pax and don’t really fit comfortably in economy.

I hardly ever eat on board as I fly mostly nights and cannot eat at 11pm. So I’ll take some cheese, a tea and maybe a chocolate before hitting the pillow, on which I sleep very well and solidly for 7 hours straight.

Am I fit, absolutely not. Am I happy – defintely!

RichHI1
    Participant

I agree on avoiding alcohol on planes and lounges but my weakness is bar in hotel after heavy day. Also difficult to find non fatty healthy food on planes or in restaurants (Unless in Japan or China. ) I lost so much weight when I was in Shanghai and when in Tokyo. Mexico City though was a disaster….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You wont manage to shut me up on this subject. Managed to shed 25% of my body mass equated to around 3 1/2 stone in around 3 months, with a Dr and NO medication or ops.

No, bread, cheese, sweets, sugar, meat – gym FOR ME is a waste of time, exercise by walking up to 20km per day, and carrying cases, weights, shopping etc.

Used to have a trainer but never understood why I would drive there and to warm up, he would put me on a walking machine for 15 minutes. So I just parked the car 15 minutes away and walked.

Most things you do in the gym you can do without the machines and at home or when out in the fresh air (I did say most not all).

The only thing that a gym does is make you feel guilty about paying £2k pa. Hotel gyms are great when they have a trainer available.

It was a whole lifestyle change, still on it 3 years later and love every minute of it.

Even with my strict diet, I am eating a far wider range of foods than ever before.

Like being 50+, I love every minute of my healthcare programme.

Oh, 1 other thing I have, a regular blood test as it is the only way that a Dr or Dietician can actually check whats inside your body, in terms of nutrients etc is correct.

RichHI1
    Participant

Sounds great, I have dropped 45 pounds and am trying for a few more but slips every time I travel. You should right a book Martyn and pass on your learnigns to the rest of us. “You don’t have to be flabby to fly”. I think key point is lifestyle change. You cannot do it for 6 months and stop, once committed it is for ever. Still I try to walk more and be less sedantary as exercise is good for the heart and probably helps as well as weight loss. Now if I could only give up on the high days and holidays cigars and brandy I would have it made…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nothing wrong with cigars Rich. Cannot get fat with smoking them. I smoke at lest two a day and they stop me from snacking!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Nothing wrong with cigars Rich” – as far as a diet is concenred LP, you are dead right!

It is a lifestyle change, I certainly dont believe in diets that allow “treats”. I find all food is a treat and if I need something special, it can easily be found.

One of my holy days coming up is a great diet day – no food at all! But the other make up, by having an overflow of food!!!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rich & LP you should be ashamed of yourselves!!!! I have all my board taking after me in eating/dinking and going to the gym when not travelling……. think they only do it to impress me or just to see me in my gym gear 😉 x

Martin dont you eat any protien or do you take a shake? xxx

I wonder why airlines/hotels dont make a seperate menu for regular travellers so the meals are more balenced and healthy?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Becky, I am not at all ashamed about my cigar smoking. Many a good deal has been thought up and signed over a good Havana. You should try one some day, and should I ever come across you on our travels I’ll happily offer you dinner and a cigar should you wish!

Hopefully I’ll then be able to judge if your board are trying to impress or see you in your gym gear.
    I feel it’s most likely the latter ;-))

NTarrant
    Participant

Wow Martyn! You must have great difficulties when you go out or fly with such things you don’t eat. It is still possible to loose weight without being so drastic as cutting out those things you do like and maintaining it. Diets don’t work I will agree its what you eat and how much is important.

Don’t know which gym you have been to by £2k pa for gym membership you are having a laugh! Machines are boring, but group exercise is great fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls