How unhealthy are you?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

Hey Mr LP dont think u can just win me over on just a cigar and dinner!!! 😛 For starters u better get yourself in shape to be seen with me! Signing a deal over a cigar??? hmm sounds old school i dont think that happens in the modern business world.. h&S and all that.. now its just a cup of water and sandwiches if you are in luck…lol strange that i do like the smell of a good cigar 😉 the board prob do come to the gym to see my but dont impress me much when lifting low loads, so i go join the girls in a fitness class -pilates, bootcamp, spinning, boxercise, pole, yoga, fitball, zumba.. they would never dare enter

xxx

RichHI1
    Participant

All this talk of exercise… is there an a380 with an elevator… 🙂

RogEdwards
    Participant

Yep – love red wine, good food and nice hotels. But I juggle my day job with teaching 4 Power Yoga Classes an 4 Kick Boxing classes per week. Often have to be very clever to fit that in with travel – but the teaching sees off the worst of the excesses.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was thinking the same Rich. Though I’m impressed by her dedication, Becky’s talk of exercise is already tiring me out. Much rather a good long meal than a workout in the gym. And if I catch an earlier flight to that great airport in the sky, at least I’ll go full and happy!

Becky, you’d be surprised by just how much old school is out there. Just last night I discussed a deal to put some money into a company that will make mobile telephony cheaper when you travel. We did the deal over a couple of Cohiba Behekes.

By the way, when and where are we having dinner?

As an afterthought, I wonder if you can smoke in that big airport in the sky?

Actually, if Mrs. LP reads this I may find out sooner than expected 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@BeckyBoop, I get my protein from fish, Tuna, Salmon, infact any fish except seafood (shell fish, crab, etc) – Tofu also offer good protein. I dont touch shakes, in lieu of meals, the body is designed for and needs solids, using liquids to replace meals is to be avoided.

@Nigel, it actually makes eating out far easier, becasue if I dont see anything on the menu I like, I ask the chef to adapt or be creative, never been refused yet. As I explained, I am eating a far far wider range of foods, it has brought the fun back into eating instead of just deciding what size slab of meat I want on my plate.

On flights, I sometimes order the hindu or jaina meals. Desert is always fruit – really is quite easy and extremely enjoyable. BA club kitchen always has veggie food and the hotels I stay at make the ordering of food and creating suitable dishes, simplicity, the chef asks what I would like and he creates something for me.

Life is very good and healthy.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Sometimes I’m told I take fitness too seriously but I aim for at least 75 minutes exercise a day where ever I am. Usually 45 minutes of weights then thirty of either cardio which is usually running at about 17k/h or core stuff – swiss ball pikes and the like and pure abs stuff. Gym membership and staying in hotels with well equipped gyms are both a must.

The good part: I can eat and drink what I like in almost any quantity I would ever want and it just burns up, I don’t watch what I eat at all.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LPPSKrisflyer – one question, I was advised that managing your fitness via daily gym work does indeed enable a less rigid diet regine, It builds up muscle and definition.

However, what I was also told is that problems can occur when you stop for a periods of say 3 – 4 weeks. Your body misses the excercise and weight can increase as well as muscle loss.

One of my clients is a very well known International sports star, who trains at least 4 times a week, sessions lasting 4 – 5 hours, mainly weights and cardio. However, what amazed me is the amount of junk food (burgers, pizzas) eaten as well as other substances smoked.

The training team including Dr’s & dieticians, have said on many occasions that the problem will be when the training stops, the body will sag and turn into fat.

Hence why I have not bothered to much with serious gym work.

watersz
    Participant

Muscle and fat are completely different
    muscle mass may decrease if weights are stopped for a length of time but fat only increases depending on calorific intake and how the body metabolises that intake
    More over his cardio workout after weights is negative in respect that the muscles are depleted of protein so cardio of 30 mins or more mean the muscle will feed on itself

NTarrant
    Participant

Whilst musle and fat are completely different, fat turns to musle when pumping iron. That is why if you are trying to loose weight there is little point in pumping iron in the early stages as there is no loss of weight.

At one point I was at the gym five days a week, sometimes six, but there comes a time when other things take over and it is harder to get back into that routine after a break. I don’t allow the gym to take over my life and enjoy what I do rather than come to a fixed routine of “always going”.

I have seen quite a few people who have “gone to seed” when they have had to stop a heavy routine because of injury or whatever. So whilst I would not wish to go for a diet like Martyn’s and not go to the gym. I think it is a case of getting the balance that suits you.

When having not been to the gym for a while those aces and pains after the first time are somehow enjoyable!

watersz
    Participant

Whilst musle and fat are completely different, fat turns to musle when pumping iron. That is why if you are trying to loose weight there is little point in pumping iron in the early stages as there is no loss of weight.

Im afraid you are completly wrong on this
    fat will never ever turn to muscle

wieghts are a good choice even in the early stages of diet
    simply because any musle gains excelerate wieght loss by burning 3 times more calories than fat

esselle
    Participant

Concept2 rowing machine at home is a fantastic cardio workout and aid to flexibility. Works all main muscle groups so pretty good for staying in shape.

On the road, Canadian 5XB. I really do recommend this, as it can be done in your hotel room with nothing but your own bodyweight to provide resistance.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Feel like an anorak for asking this question, but I am not going too much off thread.

Doesnt walking entail more than cardio, you have the physical side of “carrying” your weight, if postured correctly?

Thanks for putting me right on the fat verses muscle points.

watersz
    Participant

Cant really add much to this but… if you look at people who do alot of trail walking they almost always have ski poles to aid them the conclusion from reseach was that you use 30% less energy . over long distances thats alot .. they probably help with stress on joinrts too
    the posturing side is probably to do with injuries ???

NTarrant
    Participant

Watersz I can only go by what the “experts” have told me, clearly they are not and you must be. Although I can’t agree about pumping iron in the early stages of weight loss. I know a couple of people who did this and put weight on rather than loose any. There is a tendencey for some people to load up their bars thinking they are good lifting heavy weights. Mostly this is bravardo rather than lifting the weights correctly at a level which they can sustain.

Martyn walking is great cardio, it is recommended a brisk walk for 20 mins a day, so walking one end of T5 to the other and back again would meet that!

watersz
    Participant

I fear the wieght they put on was rather water retention…..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls