How To Get Upgraded?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

• Waddsey1
    Participant

I have to admit I once asked for an upgrade from economy to Club Europe after my original flight was cancelled. The ground staff were taking a lot of flack from a number of difficult customers and I was offered the choice of going to LHR or waiting for LCY. As there was to be a wait for LCY the offer came with lounge access and I asked if there would be an upgrade too. I thought the lady would say no but she looked at her computer screen and said fine, not a problem.

On other occasions I’ve found my seat has been changed from economy to Club without me asking but when you realise the flight is overbooked, I’m just content to have a seat and if it is an upgrade I’m very humbled that they consider I deserve one but thankful too.

Once on a flight in F from Washington DC I was one of the few who had booked F. The flight was completely full. As I had chosen my seat at the point of booking I had the seat I requested so I had nothing to moan about given the cabin was full. I’d rather people were in the seats on such full flights than the airline leaving people behind. I did find a Virgin flight annoying when fellow crew were upgraded to Upper Class and spent the enitre flight disturbing other passengers. I was probably in grump mode at the time which probably made me feel they were intruding!

spudseamus
    Participant

A few yrs ago Business was full and I travelling alone , noticed a couple who were obviously together but sitting in aisle seats I over heard the woman ask the F/A if there was any way that they could sit together and her response was “Im sorry the cabin is full” the woman graciously accepted this ,thanked the F/A and said no more .I did have a window seat but if you have seen one cloud you have seen them all so I offered the woman’s husband sitting next to me the offer of trading seats .The look of amazement on his face was comical LOL! (its only a seat !) so I approached the F/A and asked if we could swap .The F/A was at pains to point out that I was under no obligation to do so but after she was assured that I had made the offer without being asked she was fine with it .Happy pax all round and as I was told later in the flight that it was a pity that F was full otherwise my long haul would have been up the pointy end ! ahh well next time .
    I had a man behind me one time who created a unholy row about being separated from his wife ,who was also giving the F/A’s a terrible time –never shoot the messenger– I didnt offer !

RichardB
    Participant

I often travel with my girlfriend on separate reservations and a few times i’ve been upgraded due to my gold card. If I ask at the gate (not onboard) then they can normally sort things out and put both of us in business class. This has happened three times, the only time it failed is when business was already full after they upgraded me. In that case I swapped onboard with someone from economy so the two of us could still sit together.
    Asking onboard will not work. Once after we’d both been upgraded due to asking at the gate, one man tried to ask onboard since his wife was still in economy and the answer onboard is “no”.
    It helps to keep an eye on online checkin (eg while waiting at the gate/in the lounge) and then you know in advance if you have been upgraded.

Seascape
    Participant

Re: the special food plates, I have been upgraded from WT to WT+ when I’ve ordered a “fruit plate”. Not a big deal upgrade I know, but very nice all the same.

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls