How To Get Upgraded?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

• LindsayW
    Participant

Not as yet, from my reading of their posts. But here’s hoping…

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Coming late to this thread, I’ll merely say that over the years I have evolved a ‘technique’ which has proved to have an extraordinarily high rate of success. VintageKrug – your post of 25 January I found interesting, especially the pre-booked special meals thing (not that I ever do that).

I did think of entering it in one of these Travellers’ Tips competitions, but decided not to, and to keep it to myself. Same goes for here…..

ivornomates
    Participant

I find paying for business or first class really helps to maintain a good track record of sitting up front

LindsayW
    Participant

SimonRowberry, ivor – he’s back…and again, adding nothing to the debate…

MarcusUK
    Participant

If you are a Gold card holder with Airlines who you book Premium Economy, these cabins (certainly on VS) tend to be full, high chance of being upgraded, as i have experienced many times.

But these days on Long haul, many cabins appear very fully booked, if not entirely.
    Offer to pay for the upgrade. A simple show of yr Gold card, and asking if they have any seats remaining in the Cabin you would like, whilst being smartly turned out, works well if there is capacity.
    Some Airlines have a standard fee for upgrading (MH out of Sydney AUS $500), if they like the look of you.

Win win for all this way, but still a gamble on the day.

ivornomates
    Participant

Nothing to contribute because the question has only been asked six million times on every website under the sun. His next question will be what should I wear when flying business class and does anyone know whats on the menu and should I eat it all

RichHI1
    Participant

But Ivor is right. You want to travel in First you buy a First ticket…
    Just to annoy other posters you should not wear socks in business and remove your shoes at every opportunity, wear shorts and a tank top and order a special meal with extra beans and asparagus….
    Be as flatulent as possible and bring any kids you can find that do not behave well. Oh and try to fight your way into the Concorde Lounge on your way with a LAN Chile Comodoro Card…

KeaneJohn
    Participant

When Virgin used to have just two JFK flights the VS4 and VS10 the earlier flight was more popular as it arrived in London around 7am vs 11am on the later departure. The earlier flight was always overbooked and my friend in VS reservations told me to book that wherever possible and ask at check in if they were looking for volunteers to be offloaded.

Moreoften that not I was given Clubhouse access and a seat in PE or UC on the later departure for giving up my seat in Y. I was travelling the route every 2-3 weeks back then and often knew the JFK check in staff I think this helped as well.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

spot on I N M!

RIchHI1, you forgot to mention that mobile phones should be kept on and used even with no reception. Important to look busy and sound annoying!!

Capedoctor
    Participant

Be the first Doctor at an emergency on board. ( if you’re a real Dr you get bonus points) often get upgrades for this.

spudseamus
    Participant

its the old rule “Im a mirror to your attitude” never shoot the messenger!! LOL

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

As crew, it is normally gold card holders, then silver, and usually then whoever has paid the most for their ticket, obviously it is the discretion of the ground staff on the day, but this is what usually happens. And by the way, I have heard every reason under the sun as to why people think they deserve an upgrade. Everything from “My sister has just died”, “I have just had a back operation”, “I am too tall to sit in WT”, “I have just ran the New York marathon”, you name it , I have heard it! I always say, “please dont ask as refusal often offends!” but god does love a tryer I suppose! It is a lovely thing when it happens, but passengers should realise that we live in different times and some still think it is given out willy nilly, it isnt. If the flight is overbooked in traveller then people get moved forward, and it is the ground staff who decide, not the crew. Also, we still get people who try and “Slip” into seats that dont belong to them, a bit foolish really when we always check the manifest! happy upgrading folks!

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

cape doctor, if you helped me deal with a medical emergency, i can assure you, the best seat in the house would be yours!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

@ sookie: Two Turkish guys managed to slip into Club Europe, just behind me, when I was on a flight to Istanbul. Amazingly, the cabin crew only noticed when the meals started to run short.

“I shall have to take your names” said the attendant to the two, after they’d scoffed their grub, before sending them back into WT. I remember wondering what on earth they were going to do about it, though.

As for medical emergencies – had that, on a BA flight to EZE a few years ago. Female in the row behind me had a full-on stroke while we over the Atlantic with hours still to run to Sao Paulo (this was before the direct flights to EZE).

I thought she’d died, but her eyes were moving. The crew did what they could for her, but it must have been six hours before we landed. I don’t think the prognostications are good for stroke victims if they have to wait that long.

As regards the reasons trotted out for upgrades, I heard a woman behind me in CE on a flight from AMS to LHR only a week ago asking if her husband (who was in WT) could be moved up to sit with her, and the cabin staff politely refused, saying that they had no authority to do so – as you have just said.

She got quite snotty, which was a bit tiresome to listen to, but for Christ’s sake, if (as I assume) her company or someone else was paying for her ticket, why didn’t they just spend a bit more for him, instead of assuming he’d be bumped up?

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

@Tiredoldhack (love the name by the way)!

We have a lot of couples sitting in different cabins, many ask if they can sit together, the answer is usually no. One exception to the rule would be if one passenger was in first, then I have no problem if their partner wants to join them on the buddy seat after the service, for a drink. As long as this doesn’t disturb other passengers of course, it would be a no no on a night sector.

How awful for the lady on your flight who had an apparent stroke, stroke victims need urgent medical attention, within an hour for maximum recovery, medical emergencies are thankfully rare, but so distressing for customers sat nearby, we are always so grateful to any medical professionals that volunteer to help and will always do what we can to say thank you!

I once had two passengers upgrade themselves to club and we didnt realise until we were two meals short, therefore two full fare passengers didnt get their meal.The two naughty pax knew full well what they had done as they found it very amusing when the purser questioned them. They were charged for the champagne they had drunk, and sent back to their seats! Needless to say I always check the manifest now!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls