How To Get Upgraded?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

• RichardB
    Participant

about upgrades being much rarer events: at least with lufthansa (who I fly a lot) they are a much MORE common event in the past 18 months. Airlines can sell economy seats but recently first and business are much harder to shift. They cannot instantly reconfigure their long haul planes with less F/C seats, so they oversell economy and the lucky ones (based on FF status) go into business bumping the ones with high status from business into first.
    LH have configured a few of their 747’s with less C and more Y to try to adjust their capacity but things cannot be done overnight.
    As for what you wear – this might be true in the UK but most of my flights are helsinki-germany and in Germany my name is called at the gate. While waiting in Germany I can see from the seat map when my seat becomes empty and they’ve moved me to business. So unless the check in agent in helsinki makes a note of what i’m wearing, I think it’s unlikely that clothing plays any role in this for LH upgrades.
    And a month ago I went to check in at helsinki for HEL-FRA and FRA-IST and even before check in I could see my assigned Y seat for FRA-IST was empty and the check in agent in HEL gave me a Y seat for the first flight and C seat for the second flight – and he didn’t even notice himself. I pointed out the new seat (since i knew what had happened) and said he might have told me the good news 🙂 So in that case clothing could not possibly play a role.

The worst upgrade is when you are with someone but on different reservations and then one of you is upgraded. You can either try to smooth talk the gate agent into an upgrade for your companion or give up your upgrade and swap it with some lucky economy passenger so that you can sit together again. I’ve had both things happen. Two people on the same PNR tends to be no trouble – you’re either both upgraded or neither of you.

M.Moose
    Participant

This is getting very interesting! Been trying to understand the system and ‘beat’ it 😀 Having travelled for the past 10 years, airlines have evolved in their reservation system. From a more ‘manual’ discretionary upgrade, to a more systems driven one.

I have been upgraded numerous occassions on CX, a couple of times on MH and BA. I hold Silver tier cards with these airlines. Common reasons, are due to overbooked class. I was upgraded on 4 consecutive CX flights – apparently due to my birthday! When travelling with my wife on leisure, we’ve always been upgraded on at least one sector (hmm….interesting statistics!).

All in all, I concur that we need to dress appropriately, treat counter staff with respect and dignity, and put on a BIG smile at all times. Agree with comments that the best way in to purchase a ticket in the respective class – and if you get upgraded, be thankful. Else, just be glad that you’re able to travel and arrive at your destination safely.

Safe travels everyone!

stevep47
    Participant

I once got an upgrade to business class on United flying LHR to LAX.
    I always wear a suit when travelling,even on holiday.The upgrade was very enjoyable but no idea what I had done to deserve it,though was a member of frequent flier club.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s ironic that Travelgirl and others suggest dressing well or wearing a suit to be upgraded, yet, traveling mainly F or C long-haul I rarely encounter people in suits. Perhaps we still hark back in our minds to the days when air travel was glamorous and reserved for film stars and the well-off, who all tended to dress up in those days. True there are more suits short-haul but then in both classes.

Potakas
    Participant

it’s just no realistic to dress well for a 7-8 hours flight, it is not comfortable..

MarcusUK
    Participant

It is very true these days, to look at some businessmen travelling in dirty jeans, slobbing around. Even the SQ lounge at SIN around 11pm, few who bother even with a smart jacket n decent shoes…on long haul flights wityh Etihad, Thai, have often been upgraded, but it id not about wearing a suit.

I sometimes ask if there are any seats in First available for an upgrade, & often they can be offered if you volunteer to a “Paid” upgrade.
    MH had a Policy in Sydney from economy to Business for $500 one way, but haven’t tried for a long time.

Asking for an upgrade to or from Premium Economy, holds a better chance with a FF Card or offering to pay a nominal fee.. These days if some Airlines have free seats they are happy to gain extra revenue. Same with hotels as you check in, I always ask for upgrades available, then leave it to them if its complimentary or at a charge.
    Often looking as though you have made an effort with a smart casual look, to travel, reflects some Airlines appreciation of those they would like to see in their premium cabins.
    These days, they are less businessmen in suits, & more personal travellers, paying their own tickets, willing to be up front, ask, & it becomes a win win.
    U also get ur miles much enhanced with an upgrade for a few £ hundred, cheaper than buying them.
    Honest, smart, Polite & Courteous, n up-front in my view, best chance.

LindsayW
    Participant

Whilst each airline have some similarities in upgrade policy, I have found the following helpful:

1. Be a high tier FF member (whether a paid or award flight, you are more likely to be upgraded over lower tier members)
    2. Book seats on flights where the fare bucket is showing close to zero (Expert Flyer or similar programs will give you all the assistance you need here)
    3. Be involved in a FF website (such as this one, Flyertalk or Australian Frequent Flyer). The information transfer in communities is wonderful.
    4. Where FF programs or airlines allow, make use of any “On Departure upgrade” facility (whether points or $).

NTarrant
    Participant

I like the idea of getting upgraded for being on this forum. Perhaps those of us use our own names, Simon, Jonathan, Martyn, Mr/s Moose we will be first!!

travelgirl
    Participant

Most airlines view that if you pay for F or J you can wear what you like (within reason). Next time flying long-haul on BA look at the gate for off-duty airline staff – always Immaculately dressed hoping for an upgrade. Once on board the joggers and t shirts go on. Yes it does hark back to a more formal dress code and of course people just don’t follow these old rules anymore but the airlines love it – they feel that it adds a touch of glamour to their brand. Obviously if you are famous you can wear what you like and you’ll still probably get moved up a class!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I remember in the early 80’s flying F from JNB to NBO with BA in a 747. I was wearing khaki shorts and a short sleeved shirt. I was still in my 20’s in those days!!! The check in girl looked me up and down, then told me, with profuse apologies, F was overbooked and I would have to fly Y (I don’t think there was business then?).

Arriving as I always do, about 3 hours early, I called from a phone box (remember those?) the reservation dept of BA and asked to book 2 F seats on that flight. My reservation, with reference, was immediately given. At that I went back to the desk to inform the girl she should have 3 reservations for me, all F and two made in the last 5 minutes.

She was very embarrassed and confessed it was due to my attire and I might cause offense to the other First class passengers!!! After much protest they let me check in – in shorts – and I had a very comfortable flight to Kenya. Ironically, on landing, Nairobi was suffering a very rare cold and wet spell and I would have been grateful for long trousers…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A quick PS. SAA do not have F class in S. Africa, only C and Y. Could this be down to the fact half the men there wear shorts at all times, even when flying???

VintageKrug
    Participant

I like stories like that LuganoPirate.

Well done you for sticking to your guns!

TJenna888
    Participant

I have been flying for 40 years (and in the last without loyalty cards of any type because I gave up after UNITED took a few hundred thousand miles away from 100K account after 911 without advising. I dont believe in the airlines or these cards.) Yet, I have been upgraded throughout the years by 1) arriving early 2) dressing always in business appropriate clothes and not tourist clothes 3) being agreeable with ground staff especially when difficulties rise. I also have noticed that cultural and racial bias plays into upgrades. If the plane is packed with domestic workers going home to their countries in asia, I am given priority seating. I do not say this is right or fair and do not think this is a practice but it does seem to be the case. This is on short hauls in Asia. Also on Asian carriers on long hauls.

TJenna888
    Participant

I have been flying for 40 years (and in the last without loyalty cards of any type because I gave up after UNITED took a few hundred thousand miles away from 100K account after 911 without advising. I dont believe in the airlines or these cards.) Yet, I have been upgraded throughout the years by 1) arriving early 2) dressing always in business appropriate clothes and not tourist clothes 3) being agreeable with ground staff especially when difficulties rise. I also have noticed that cultural and racial bias plays into upgrades. If the plane is packed with domestic workers going home to their countries in asia, I am given priority seating. I do not say this is right or fair and do not think this is a practice but it does seem to be the case. This is on short hauls in Asia. Also on Asian carriers on long hauls.

Kilted_Scot
    Participant

Quite a few suggestions here and interesting and fun points. I understand that the best way to get into the premium cabins is to buy the ticket. That was not my point. Merely to discuss the policies of airlines and upgrades. I agree with most points. I have been upgraed many times on Emirates, but only when the cabins have been over booked. I think that is their policy, however I did hear that the FF are listed on the computer alphabetically and the check in staff tend to take the easy route and pick the first on the list. So Mr Android may have a better chance than Mrs Zacharia. Despite PPS membership I have never been upgraded on SQ, and neither has a colleague who has the top top solitaire status. It seems SQ policy is you get what you pay for, which is fair enough I suppose. I am curious if asking at check in on possible upgrade opportunites is a negative approach as I have also heard that those who ask, don’t get….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls