How To Get Upgraded?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

• ajs123uk
    Participant

Can I also suggest that if you do ask for an upgrade and are not fortunate enough to be given one then you don’t sit in your paid for cabin sulking for the whole flight 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A little while ago traveling LCY – ZRH with Swiss, and having Senator (Gold) status, I asked at the gate for an upgrade. The agent told me I had to ask at check-in as they were the ones who gave them.

Next time, I asked at check-in, to be told the handling agent for Swiss had to be asked as they were the only ones authorised to grant an upgrade.

So, next time I asked the handling agent, who told me I had to ask at the gate as it is their decision!!!

Last summer, on the same route, traveling on the cheapest Y tickets available, so cheap we had to sit in the lavatories!!! I was with my 7 year old boy, who was wearing a Portugal Football shirt given him by his (Portuguese) Nanny.

The desk agent seeing this, bought us to the front, through the very packed room. It turned out her husband is the trainer of the Portuguese football team and she made sure that not only did we board first, we sat in the front row and after a few words with the CA (who I think was also Portuguese) we had First class treatment back to Zurich. It wasn’t an upgrade in the sense our boarding passes were changed from Y to C, but the result was the same.

I’m sure there is a moral to this story somewhere, I’ll leave you to figure it out!

openfly
    Participant

How ever nicely you speak to the check-in computer it doesn’t seem to give upgrades!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

sometimes it helps to be nice to bag trolleys – they too could have upgrade influence – but sadly – not too often. Generally the best guarantee is to spring clean ones wallet – get the cobwebs off.

Happy travellieng one and all

olliewb
    Participant

I currently hold a virgin Gold card, only thanks to some great advice on the BT forum which permitted a comp Silver card, which I then merged with red card, a few flights later I was given a comp gold, not sure why and never asked! Perhaps due to excessive spending on Virgin Amex card?!

We recently checked in at the Upper Class desk at LGW for a flight to BGI, with my wife and 3 year old child, our seats were Premium Economy. I managed to move our pre-assigned seats to bulkhead seats on the understanding that if a disabled person or family with an infant requested these, then we would most likely be moved.

We then enjoyed the new lounge at Gatwick which I had not been to before and our 3 year old thoroughly enjoyed the play area, a lot larger than the one at LHR – perhaps as there are more “holiday” routes from LGW.

We then proceeded to board and where we were advised that our seats had been re-assigned. I was politely told, in a quiet voice, that we had ALL been upgraded.

I late found out that both PE and E were completely full while UC was nearly empty. I can only presume that somebody requested the bulkhead seats and it was just easier to move a family of 3 into UC. I would have thought having a child aged 3 we would be one of the last to be upgraded.

I did not dwell on it for too long and enjoyed the comfort that UC offered! I was however concerned about having a 3 year old in UC and how she would behave. As it turned out she was great, I only became slightly worried at the end of the flight when she was reluctant to take her seat on final approach, one of the crew sat with her reading her book with her until the crew were told to take the seats. The crew were fantastic and could not have been more helpful.

All in all I was very impressed with the Virgin lounge, the upgrade (of course!) and the crew. Hoping for the same scenario on the return leg in a few days!

BradCarle
    Participant

This thread long abandoned I see but here’s another question for consideration. Does checking in online and selecting your seat in that process reduce chances of an upgrade? I used to often enjoy the privilege of being upgraded C to F but, more recently, my (exceptionally efficient) assistant has taken to online check in on my behalf and it’s been a long time since an upgraded was offered. Any thoughts?

Potakas
    Participant

It is believed that if you check in online you actually have more chances to get an operational upgrade because BA counts on you that you will travel. Then you have to wait for the ”bip” sound at the gate!

Regards

BradCarle
    Participant

Thank you sir. I will have my ears tuned to the ‘bip’ when I next board!

JordanD
    Participant

Across on FlyerTalk, the conjecture (well supported as it comes from BA Staff) is that using OLCI and printing your boarding pass increases your chances for an upgrade – as P.Sepsas correctly says, BA then count on you travelling and are thus can move you around easier (especially if they need your seat).

That said, there are many – not least my parents last week – who simply waltzed into T5 and got upgraded when checking in there. Seeing as both of them got moved from WT+ to CW, I’m guessing my chances (karma and all that) this Friday are going to be low!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I always OLCI (check in online) but never PYOBP (Print Your Own Boarding Pass) as I prefer to check in with a human being at the First check-in area (which I can use whichever ticket I hold).

It is my understanding that OLCI’ing but not PYOBP’ing makes it easier for you to be upgraded by the system. The reasoning goes that actually checking in means there is a high probability you will turn up for the flight (so it’s sensible to do this also to avoid the opposite effect of getting bumped from the flight or involuntarily downgraded) but that Printing your Boarding Pass can give rise to duplicate boarding passes, which can complicate things for the airline so therefore best to avoid doing this.

Another reason for not PYOBP is that if indeed you are upgraded, but have hand baggage only, the first time you might know about the upgrade is when your boarding pass “blips” at the gate; checking in with a person (for Silver/Gold card holders and those already in CW) or at the kiosks closer to the boarding time means the system has had more time to work out if any operational upgrades are necessary, and so you’ll find out then, which should allow you access to the Lounges and Spa pre-flight (for those whose BAEC status/Cabin travelled did not already permit such access).

HOWEVER, note that using online check in can be less advantageous during irregular ops (e.g. bad weather) as once checked in, it is less easy to change your booking online, meaning a call is required. Therefore, do consider this in such circumstances.

Sometimes you might note that you are not able to check in online (especially at outstations) and this *might* indicate that you have been upgraded already. Not always the case though.

No-one who has a special meal ordered is ever upgraded, for operational reasons.

The post JordanD refers to was put out by a BA staffmember in an effort to encourage people to use the (at the time) relatively new option of OLCI/PYOBP, which is designed to make check-in a smoother process at T5; whilst it is sensible to postulate that OLCI does increase your chances of being upgraded, there is no evidence whatsoever that Printing your boarding pass increases the likelihood of an upgrade.

As ever, best to look forward to the flight in whichever class of travel you booked, and in the exceptional circumstance you are upgraded, treat it as a bonus. Those who hope too much for, or expect, an upgrade are rarely fortunate enough to be granted one.

BradCarle
    Participant

Superb information in response to my query – thank you all. I’ll look forward to my C class CX flight HKG-CDG regardless. Oh, and I’m one of those who simply adores the CX configuration (refer other posts on this subject!!!!) Cheers all.

Capedoctor
    Participant

Am a gold Ba member and try to book wt+ as opposed to wt, in the hope of getting bumped up a class to CW. I’ve arrived at the airport to find myself upgraded to CW on a couple of occasions and other times being upgraded at the gate. Doesn’t always work, unfortunately.

I do it as the double jump (WT to CW) is hens teeth rare. I’ve rejected upgrades to WT+ from WT due to loss of legroom( as a gold you can prebook your economy emergency exit seat) and there’s no real quality advantage in terms of food.

ivornomates
    Participant

Topics like this should come with a boring factor warning

Bullfrog
    Participant

There is a very easy way to get an upgrade.

It does not involve being especially polite or wearing the correct clothes.

It is as simple as putting one’s hand in one’s pocket.

Paying for the service in which you wish to travel. Then there is no stress about trying to get a better seat.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Ivor,

I was just wondering whether you had anything positive or constructive to offer the Forum?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls