How much longer for Jet Airways?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

So wonder if BA, AI or VS will pick up the additional non stop UK-India demand. India’s never been a lucrative market, but I’m sure they don’t want to see the MEB3 feasting on this opportunity as well.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

The management of India’s Jet Airways Ltd has proposed temporarily suspending all operations of the struggling airline, local media reported on Tuesday, as the company awaits promised funds from banks in a rescue deal.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Perhaps I’m being really dumb but I can’t really see what difference getting temporary funding / respite from the banks is going to make?

Jet already has huge debts, which are growing larger pretty much by the hour, and its brand is shot. Even if they receive funds to support them for the coming months, will lessors simply hand them back keys to their planes, will slots all still be available, will any supplier (especially fuel) afford them credit and, most importantly, will passengers really want to book with them? To which Jet will respond by, yup, lowering prices….

I feel for the employees and anyone who is owed money but everyone needs to move on.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

I’m not sure if anyone will move in to fill the void of Jet’s non-stop flights. We may see a bit of chopping and changing of aircraft types – perhaps BA/VS/AI will place larger aircraft on some of their frequencies. But my feeling is there will not be additional frequencies added.

The reality is, in so many markets, there are too many airlines chasing too few passengers.

We saw that recently with WOW, Flybmi and (almost) Flybe. And just now BT has reported that Icelandair is dropping two routes which ironically one (Cleveland) was also served by WOW. Two airlines were chasing passengers KEF-Cleveland where in reality not even one had the demand required to make it profitable.

Folium
    Participant

The dog fight between Wow and Icelandair has been intense. The Cleveland route for Icelandair was launched just before Wow’s as a deliberate spoiler and with Wow’s demise has been quickly dropped.
    All part of Icelandair’s efforts to return to its status of one of Europe’s most profitable airlines (a title it held in 2015 with 15% operating profit margins). Wow hammered Icelandair’s market share in Iceland from over 80% in 2010 to 47% by 2018.
    The MAX8 fiasco has also hit Icelandair’s plans with 3 parked up at KEF with 6 more on order plus 7 MAX9s. Hence the ancient gas guzzling 757s keep flying plus some wet leased 757s and 767s for the summer spike in pax.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=929756]The reality is, in so many markets, there are too many airlines chasing too few passengers.[/quote]

Nevertheless India is a volume market. It may not be a profitable one for foreign airlines but it does fill their planes. As BT has mentioned before there is a huge volume of Indian nationals flying sixth-freedom via both the Gulf and Europe.

It remains to be seen whether or not Etitad will use one of its Heathrow slots to add an extra service to Abu Dhabi (with onward connections to India) on a permanent basis.

Over the Eastern vacation period Etihad has boosted capacity into Heathrow.

For Friday and Saturday, for example, Etihad.com is showing four A380s operating to Heathrow.

And the capacity increase continues into next week … with one of these four flights operated by a B787 (the other three are with A380s).

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

All Jet Airways flights have now been suspended.

Jet Airways suspends all flights amid financial crisis

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=929833]All Jet Airways flights have now been suspended.[/quote]

When I checked Etihad’s earlier today. It already displayed the operation of four A380s at LHR for Friday and Saturday.

I believe it’s the first time that Etihad has said it would operate four A380s at LHR (on one day).

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=929814]

The reality is, in so many markets, there are too many airlines chasing too few passengers.

Nevertheless India is a volume market. It may not be a profitable one for foreign airlines but it does fill their planes. As BT has mentioned before there is a huge volume of Indian nationals flying sixth-freedom via both the Gulf and Europe.

It remains to be seen whether or not Etitad will use one of its Heathrow slots to add an extra service to Abu Dhabi (with onward connections to India) on a permanent basis.

Over the Eastern vacation period Etihad has boosted capacity into Heathrow.

For Friday and Saturday, for example, Etihad.com is showing four A380s operating to Heathrow.

And the capacity increase continues into next week … with one of these four flights operated by a B787 (the other three are with A380s).[/quote]

Totally agree. I’d say 70% of customers on the BA flights I work are only in transit at LHR. Saying that, as Jet’s flights only operated India – UK – India and not onward i’d guess most customers were O&D passengers though perhaps connecting domestically from a plethora of cities in India that BA/VS do not serve. I know Jet tried to operate an India – North America transit hub in BRU but they’ve never flown onwards from the UK across the atlantic unlike Air India (who over the years from memory operated LHR- JFK/YYZ/ORD) although I think all or nearly all of their India-US flights are now non-stop thanks to aircraft like the 787.

I guess Etihad is in a strong position for North America – India transit customers as it can fly someone from say Toronto to Cochin with just one stop whereas with BA or Virgin it would be two. Emirates with their much larger north American market has even more options.

rferguson
    Participant

BA has announced four additional weekly flights in each direction between LHR and BOM from end of June.

BA135 will depart LHR at 17:50 arrive 07:40 Sun, Tue, Wed, Fri.

BA134 will depart BOM at 12:10 and arrive LHR 17:20 Mon, Wed, Thu, Sat.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flights already displayed on BA’s website. Aircraft type is B787.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I don’t think it’ll affect Delhi that much as Jet only had 1 daily flight.

SimonS1
    Participant

So BA is cancelling the daytime Johannesburg flights to mobilise on this.

capetonianm
    Participant

Jet Airways is the excuse for cancelling the 4x JNB-LHR day flights, it’s not the reason. 4x weekly doesn’t work for business pax, and the loads in the front cabins have not been good as most business (i.e high revenue) pax seem to prefer overnight flights, which I can understand although it’s not my view, I love day flights.

Too much capacity on the route, I think, with 2x BA daily, 2x VS, and 1x SA.

If BA wanted to continue the JNB flights they could source another a/c.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls