How much longer for Jet Airways?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=929242]I think this is all too little too late to save Jet. They’ve been declining for a while and each time there is a positive spin, this is closely followed by more aircraft grounded or impounded. I think Etihad’s interest is they ‘own’ some B777s that Jet are flying and don’t want to see those impounded.

I hope to be proved wrong, but I think Jet has now come to an end.[/quote]

Absolutely. On foreign soil the aircraft are at a huge risk of being impounded.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=929256]Absolutely. On foreign soil the aircraft are at a huge risk of being impounded.[/quote]

Even before today’s news one of Jet Airways’ B777-300ERs had been seized at Amsterdam Schiphol.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/flyers-stuck-as-jet-plane-seized-in-amsterdam-before-take-off-for-mumbai/articleshow/68826663.cms

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Airlineroute reporting that Jet Airways has now removed its schedules for MAN-BOM from May 1 until October 26.

Previously the carrier had said this route was “suspended” until May 1.

Following recent developments it seems unlikely this route will ever restart with Jet Airways.

Is Jet Airways poised to axe Manchester-Mumbai?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reports coming through from India indicate that Jet Airways has surrendered a number of its Heathrow slots to owner Etihad. Most people are unaware that Jet Airways did not own all its Heathrow slots outright.

It’s unclear what will happen next.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Just been informed by a colleague that Jet have relinquished 6 LHR slots

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=929309]Just been informed by a colleague that Jet have relinquished 6 LHR slots[/quote]

Reports indicate it’s actually three LHR slots. Each slot covers landing and departure.

The slots have been handed back to owner Etihad.

This transaction happened at very short notice.

It remains unclear when or if Jet Airways will restart its Heathrow services.

1 user thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

If Etihad won’t make use of them, I’m sure they could sell them for a good price to help balance their books!?

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

So, assuming that Jet are indeed toast (or no longer viable in terms of continuing flying to LHR), it will indeed be interesting to see what happens to their slots.

I can’t see Etihad operating an extra 3 flights a day (perhaps 1?) so it may well be that 2 come onto the market very soon – who will snap them up?

Alex has already pointed out that Jet Blue would love to get hold of them but are they in a position to move that quickly and, perhaps more importantly, would they be prepared to meet the sky-high prices that such slots command; almost certainly not.

So who would be prepared to splash the cash? Emirates, probably, but would Etihad be prepared to sell to their neighbour?

Both Qatar & Turkish would probably be prepared to stump-up the cash but, with their ongoing political dispute, that’s even less likely.

Oman Air have showed that they have deep pockets and I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 or more carriers from mainland China have a go.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

All London flights cancelled until Thursday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jet-airways-flights-cancelled-heathrow-mumbai-delhi-why-passengers-stranded-a8870571.html

Dutch media is saying the same with regards to Amsterdam.

KLM has had to provide more capacity in the form of larger aircraft for its routes to India.

via Zakenreisnieuws.nl [NL]

https://www.zakenreisnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-met-grotere-toestellen-naar-india-vanwege-jet-airways?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

pheighdough
    Participant

I think we are delaying the inevitable with Jet Airways at the moment, it’s just a matter of time until they finally announce the end…

The Heathrow slots? Etihad have them back, and will be keeping them but leasing them out to another carrier(s) to operate from Heathrow. This is what KLM have done with a slot pair for Kenya Airways. I believe ANA own 3 slot pairs, use one and lease the other 2 out. I can see Etihad doing the same. Nice revenue earner for them.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=929518]I think we are delaying the inevitable with Jet Airways at the moment, it’s just a matter of time until they finally announce the end…

The Heathrow slots? Etihad have them back, and will be keeping them but leasing them out to another carrier(s) to operate from Heathrow. This is what KLM have done with a slot pair for Kenya Airways. I believe ANA own 3 slot pairs, use one and lease the other 2 out. I can see Etihad doing the same. Nice revenue earner for them.[/quote]

One might expect Etihad to retain one of those LHR slots for its own use and lease out the other two.

LHR slots can only increase in value.

I don’t know whether Jet Airways owns its slots at AMS/CDG.

But those at AMS must be valuable given the morning transatlantic slot shortage.

(As we reported some time ago the EC instructed KLM to transfer one of its transatlanti slots to Norwegian so that the AMS-JFK route would gain more competition)

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

[quote quote=929518]I think we are delaying the inevitable with Jet Airways at the moment, it’s just a matter of time until they finally announce the end …[/quote]

It has been announced that Jet has failed to secure emergency funding from its lenders so I think the end will not be far away!

rferguson
    Participant

They are currently only operating seven of their one hundred and twenty aircraft.

Not looking good for them.

I imagine Vistara are praying for Jet to fail. It will allow them to grow incredibly as is often the case for a smaller carrier when an airline goes belly up.

India also has a law that any new entrant airline has to fly domestic only routes for a set number of years before gaining the right to fly internationally. Only in May this year Vistara reached that milestone and is planning a modest international network starting with neighbouring Sri Lanka.
    I imagine if Jet does disappear their international aspirations will become grander.

cwoodward
    Participant

There is to be a full board meeting this morning to decide the future of Jet.

To date the lenders,under the guidance of the lead bank have not distributed any of the promised Rs 1500 lifeline funding and are unlikely to do so until there is a viable offer for Jet that offers new funding. This the reason why the airline is day by day grinding down.
    It seems that none of the firm offers made to date offered any new funding and clearly this is coming down to the line and unless one of the foreign investment funds that have shown interest offer a viable proposal I suspect the airline may well be closed down today.

A textbook case of how to turn a silk purse into a sow’s ear!

Times of India this morning;
    NEW DELHI / MUMBAI: Lenders are seeing merit in the offer by ..

Read more at:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/68897318.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls