How much longer for Jet Airways?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)

• pheighdough
    Participant

Every time I look at social media there is another story or tale on Jet Airways cancelling routes, some with immediate effect. How long before they come another victim of current global aviation’s crisis (if that’s a correct term to use?).

They operate a few daily LHR slots, so will we see these being sold to keep going for longer?

Interested in opinions and views.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

They’ve defaulted on at least 48 lease payments and have multiple planes in storage (including 737 Max 8’s)

Now they have 41 aircraft in service, apparently to operate 603 domestic flights and 382 international flights . . That doesn’t seem enough planes to get around. MAN – BOM flights cancelled soon and I’m sure many more to follow.

They did have investment and were working more closely with Etihad . . Make of that what you will

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have seen at least 2 large aircraft overnight at Amsterdam, staying at a hotel last few days. Stored ready for flights out the next day.
    KLM also are codesharing with Jet Airways, and have a contract for completing part of their engineering needs, how much is unclear.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=924046]They operate a few daily LHR slots, so will we see these being sold to keep going for longer?[/quote]

Does Jet Airways own all its Heathrow slots ?

Sources in India say that three of Jet Airways’ Heathrow slots are owned by Etihad and the the fourth jointly by AirFrance/KLM/Delta.

Jet Airways’ Manchester-Mumbai route ceased today. But both the airline and Manchester airport talk of it being a temporary suspension until end April 2019.

It’s unclear whether or not flights will restart in May 2019.

esselle
    Participant

Ive heard it’s curtain at the end of this month.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

BBC News – Jet Airways: The riches to rags story of India’s first private airline
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47664059

pheighdough
    Participant

canucklad
    Participant

I’m assuming that’ll leave Air India as the only long haul carrier from the country. Poor for choice and considering the rapidly growing middle class in India, surprising and disappointing

Inquisitive
    Participant

Jet Airways model was quite good. Only problem is that founder owner Mr. Goyel has treated the company like own Son and looked away all the mistakes has been done. Had it been run professionally, this situation would not have arrived.
    I believe Jet has good routes and lot of supports from passengers and will not go down. A white knight should have arrived in the scene and rescue the airline. Mr. Goyel need to think rationally and relinquish his control.

capetonianm
    Participant

I did some work for Jet Airways some years ago and flew a few sectors on them.

I was very impressed by them and their staff, and even by the generally high standards of India I found them particularly motivated and professional.

I hope they survive.

cwoodward
    Participant

Their shares jumped almost 6% this morning. CAPA is saying that the Indian government will not let them go bust prior to the election.

alainboy56
    Participant

@captonianm – Alas they have been caught up in that ‘Perfect Storm’ called Etihad (and Abu Dhabi). Methinks there will be no further investment from those parts.
    Just look at the debris left after these ‘investments made by Mr Hogan! Air Berlin gone, already belly up. Darwin Regional,closed and sold up. Air Seychelles, before EY, running 5 B767’s to LGW/FCO/MXP/CDG/SIN amongst other long/medium haul routes. Later AUH twice/day and HKG with 2 A332’s. Now they have only 2 A320’s running regional routes, and not even to their owners home base of AUH. Merely a ‘shell’ of their former identity. Air Serbia – big ideas, 1 x A332 from EY, but this merely runs to JFK a couple of times a week. There was a daily A319 to AUH but I believe that has ceased. AZ, IMHO the most disastrous investment made by Mr Hogan/EY/Abu Dhabi, and questioned by me so many times here and in other forums. They are impossible to control or put right. They are a symbol of Italy, a splendid icon for everything that is so wrong about that most beautiful country. Lastly to the airline in question Jet Airways, their B777’s and A332’s were leased and used by EY, also 2 of them went to Air Seychelles, and a huge investment and tie up with EY to make it work, but it hasn’t. I hear there are more than 80 leased aircraft parked leaving approx 35 owned units still flying.(I suspect those at AMS are merely leased aircraft under service/care of their real owners) Salaries are not paid for many months so there really is only one outcome, sadly, and very shortly, perhaps before the end of this month, it will also go belly-up.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

cwoodward
    Participant

My understanding of the situation is that the major part of JAs debt was carried by several state controlled banks.

With most of JAs short haul aircraft grounded and Spice jets new 737 fleet also grounded domestic air fares had spiraled out of control increasing as much as 500% in the past weeks.
    It was this that prompted the governments move to have the banks convert debt into equity and take control of the airline.

BBC World Service Asian feed is reporting that the initial cash input of US$210M is being used to pay aircraft leases and that many domestic flights will resume in a matter of days. A new international management team is being sought.
    An Indian online source is reporting that key routes to HK and S’pore will also resume in a matter of days.
    In my opinion the Jet Airways business model was basically sound and delivers a good passenger experience and it should survive with an experienced management team in place with every chance of prospering in the fast growing Indian market.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Jet Airways’ pilots have given management two weeks to clear unpaid salaries, reports Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-jet-airways-pilots/pilots-of-indias-jet-airways-defer-strike-seek-salary-dues-by-april-14-idUSKCN1RC0FX

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls