How many airports have you been through?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

• BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Some very impressive numbers in there. I think I am at 99 and no new airports planned for the rest of this year unless my long planned w/e in Rome actually comes off.

Best – Heathrow Terminal 2 (is it just me!?), Changi and any of Belize’s small airports – check in 20 mins before departure and sit outside chatting to other passengers.

Worst – Havana, Heraklion (but that is from 2008), Houston and the old terminal at Port-of-Spain.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

I am over 100 as well.

Best – Changi

Worst – Chennai

TominScotland
    Participant

I, very sadly, keep a record of this – 251 and counting….

UK & Ireland – 33
    Europe – 68
    Asia Pacific – 70
    Middle East – 12
    Africa – 19
    North America/ Caribbean – 49

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Stone the crows that’s impressive!

TominScotland
    Participant

Factor of age, I suspect, BackOfThePlane……

Plus a curiosity which makes odd routings appeal at times. Why use mainline New York airports when you can use White Plains – now called Westchester County Airport, New York???

MrMichael
    Participant

A quick tot up would suggest in the region of 70.

Best for a one off would be Boscobel Aerodrome in Jamaica, renamed and done up so now the handsomely named “Ian Fleming International Airport”. Security was the pilot asking me if I had anything I shouldn’t! Best regularly would be SOU by a country mile. Worse I think would be Cebu (depressing to the extreme, but perhaps improved over the past twenty odd years) and Heraklion on the island of Crete, a dreary welcome to a wonderful island.

FivestarFred
    Participant

105. My most recent ‘new’ airport surprisingly was RTM which I passed through in Feb this year.

This list excludes two airports where the aircraft stopped but we didn’t deplane so technically didn’t go through the airport. These (NDB and NKC) were nostalgically on a DC10 operated by the defunct UTA French Airlines.

Least explored regions are Africa and South America.

Most ‘memorable’ airport was Tripoli (Libya). Best is probably Changi. Don’t have a worst but US airports are pretty annoying.

TominScotland what’s the ratio of business to pleasure visits please…or more importantly how do I get a job like yours (assuming the flights are mostly premium cabins! :)) ??

TominScotland
    Participant

FivestarFred – I am a congenital back of the bus person so anything in the premium cabins is a real bonus for me.

[Edited to add: In PE on BA11 next week which is a step up on the norm for me]

Most of my travel is work-related but I frequently seek to combine the two.

My favourite airport? Glasgow Arrivals because that means home…….

icenspice
    Participant

Not sad at all Tom!

I am at 162 and NOT counting. I doubt if I will reach 200.

There are so many depressing airports out there, but on a positive note I like Oslo Gardermoen and Zurich.

A bizarre airport: try Seoul Gimpo.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Must be at least 100 different airports (but I shudder to think how many times I’ve been through LHR, for which I confess I have a soft spot).

Worst was Dar Es Salaam in the 1980s. At the gate and boarding were chaos: unbelievably the plane filled up with people (every seat taken) and then more and more people crammed on until the aisle was jam-packed with people standing… who were looking around till one of them said “Well I suppose we’d all better get off again then”, which they did.

Best – HKG, SIN.

esselle
    Participant

No idea, but far too many.

At least 20 X in each of HKG, SIN, SYD, MEL, DOH, DXB, AUH, JFK, BOS, BKK, FRA, CDG, HEL, ARL, OSL, CPH, PEK, PVG and YVR.

Probably 200 in LHR. Then there is GVA, ZRH….

Actually gets rather scary when you stop and think.

Best is probably HKG. Worst is LPL by a mile…….

JollyMartian
    Participant

I started a spreadsheet with all the airports I’d been to some years ago…

So:

UK – 29
    Rest of Europe – 81
    Rest of World – 80

190 in total! Some as an employee of BA (so done cheaply on Staff Travel) but most of them as a proper fare-paying passenger down the back in Economy unfortunately.

1nfrequent
    Participant

I’ve only been to 52 (forgot I’d been to both Tokyo airports):

UK AND IRELAND (11):
    Heathrow, Gatwick, Jersey, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stansted, Aberdeen, Inverness, Leeds Bradford, Dublin, Cork.

EUROPE (16):
    Paris (CDG), Bordeaux, Basel, Lyons, Florence, Rome, Malta, Rhodes, Crete, Berlin, Copenhagen, Brussels, Amsterdam, Sofia, Vienna, Bucharest

AUSTRALIA AND FAR EAST (3):
    Sydney, Singapore, Tokyo (Haneda) and Tokyo (Narita)

USA AND CANADA (17):
    New York (JFK), New York (Newark), Orlando, Boston, Washington DC (Ronald Reagan), Chicago, New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Vancouver.

MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA (4):
    Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Amman, Cairo

I am going to notch up number 53 later this year (Geneva) and possibly Prague. I might even get to 60 next year as I’ve got a trip to Australia ex OSL and via HKG. Still not as well travelled as others on the forum but not too shabby for a leisure traveller. 😀

Best airport I’ve been to is Singapore without a shadow of a doubt. Worst is a tie between Amman and LAX (international arrivals was positively third world).

1F

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Nice memories….pre 1990 many I’ve forgotten but certainly hit the 100 in 1998 with Phisanuluk or Lempang (Thailand) but, since then, largely retired with less important things to do so have wasted my time with better records & details more easily accessed….now well above 200 airports.

Another question is value: as now (like Canuklad) not in the pointy end as much as I’d like as I tend to spend carefully…from 2000 to 2014 miles flown some 766,000 (circa 51,000/year) for total cost (using my FF miles carefully) of some US $ 50,670 I.e. an average cost of 6.61 cents per mile (and cheaper than using my car !)

Many of these miles were in business (used mainly West to East) but will work this out later !

K1ngston
    Participant

142 how sad is that??

Best … Changi by far closely followed by HKG
    Worst (where do I start) Heathrow closely followed by Gatwick and a special mention for Mumbai bad but not as bad as North Terminal LGW

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls