HKG lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• JDTraveller
    Participant

The CX lounge at LHR is my lounge of choice. So are there any recommendations for which lounge I should use at HKG? Will be flying BA CW. Are the Plaza Premium lounges worth having a look at? Or maybe the Centurion lounge? Or should I stick with one of the CX ones?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Views differ! Personally I would stick with the CX lounges, HOWEVER I haven’t tried the Centurion lounge so can’t comment on that.

Of the CX lounges I think the best J lounge is The Bridge, but it is some way from the usual BA boarding gates – the closest to those are The Deck, which is very new but quite compact, and The Wing, although it is a bit further away. Both can get quite crowded at certain times.

The Plaza Premium First Lounge is great – if you have normal PP access you can get in for (at my last time of trying) an extra HK$200 which was money damn well spent in my opinion. Tom Otley visited last year on my recommendation and wrote a review which you can read here

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I certainly did – good recommendation!

I also have visited the Centurion Lounge which is good too, though perhaps less impressive than some of the ones I’ve visited in the U.S.

2 users thanked author for this post.

JDTraveller
    Participant

Looks like I may have to do some lounge hopping! Will have to see what the additional charges are for the Plaza Premium First lounge as looks like a relaxing environment before the flight back! I have heard mixed reviews about the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge, is it worth the effort before heading into the city?

HongKongLady
    Participant

I wouldn’t bother lounge hopping, head for either of the main CX lounges ( First is preferable) relax and enjoy.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=924533]…..Or should I stick with one of the CX ones?[/quote]

I’ve been a frequent user of the very good CX lounges at HKG for years, and have been in all of them more than once. They’re all good and I would definitely stick with them. BUT more recently I’ve found them getting crowded sometimes – e.g. I entered the business lounge by Gate 4 once and there was not a single seat free: I had to stand for a while till someone vacated just one seat. I think it may be a bit better at the time of either BA flight to London, though, I hope so, good luck.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MS
    Participant

I always lounge hop in Hong Kong…The Centurion Lounge there is small but excellent. If you don’t have Priority Pass, don’t bother with the Plaza Premium but if you do, it doesn’t hurt to try out their food!

JDTraveller
    Participant

Thought that the Centurion lounge in LAS was fantastic, so keen to try the one at HKG too.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=924598]I have heard mixed reviews about the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge, is it worth the effort before heading into the city?[/quote]

It’s alright, but can get very crowded and the queue for showers can get very long. If you want to have a shower and/or breakfast, and particularly if you get free access, it is probably worth going there and asking about the shower queue before signing yourself in. It is more or less under the Airport Express Line so not a huge detour. I will confess that I have only gone in there in order to collect Arrture Points (using my Priority Pass card for access) and walked straight out again so can’t comment on the food or showers! My knowledge of the shower queue is only from people in front of me in the queue.

Alternatively, if the shower is your only priority and you aren’t worried about food, the airport actually provides complimentary shower facilities. These I also haven’t tried! I have no idea if they provide towels or toiletries. Another alternative, depending on where you are staying, is that if you arrive at your hotel before your room is ready and it has fitness facilities it will normally allow you to change and shower there – just needs a little thought about easy access to your toiletries and next change of clothes so you don’t have to take your suitcase into the fitness centre.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

Of the CX lounges The Pier First Class is my favourite and nicer than the Bridge in my view. Loads of room and great service. Of course a lot depends on which end of the airport you are flying from.

esselle
    Participant

Do be mindful, though, that if you are travelling in J and don’t have OWE, you will not get intro the Pier.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Agree with Tom a visit to the CL is worth it. They serve ACTUAL champagne! Their dim sum spread is good too. It lacks privacy, but amazing tarmac views. Try the QF Lounge too! Heard this lounge is worth a look too. It’s just past security/immigration.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=924546]The Plaza Premium First Lounge is great – if you have normal PP access you can get in for (at my last time of trying) an extra HK$200 which was money damn well spent in my opinion.[/quote]

The charge for Priority Pass members to get access to the Plaza Premium First lounge has now increased to HK$300.

JDTraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=925303]

The Plaza Premium First Lounge is great – if you have normal PP access you can get in for (at my last time of trying) an extra HK$200 which was money damn well spent in my opinion.

The charge for Priority Pass members to get access to the Plaza Premium First lounge has now increased to HK$300.[/quote]

Thanks Chris, how recent was this as contacting Plaza Premium they told me that a supplement was not possible and I would have to book as usual.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=925416]Thanks Chris, how recent was this as contacting Plaza Premium they told me that a supplement was not possible and I would have to book as usual.[/quote]

They wanted the higher amount when I was there on March 7 2019. They said the increase had taken effect earlier in the year.

I declined to use the lounge at that price, and went to the Amex Centurion lounge instead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls