Head in the Sand or Wise Thailand Lockdown?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

Is Thailand wise to continue with its band on international flights until January? Will it not bring this county’s economy to its knees?

Senator
    Participant

Do you have a source for this information? I can only find that Thailand has reopened some routes already, but nothing about a blanket ban extending into January 2021: http://www.panorama-destination.com/thailand-news/thai-airways-to-resume-international-flights-from-1st-july/

anyonebutba
    Participant

incorrect, thailand has now approved reopening of phuket as a trail to restart the tourism economy. details here :

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1971923/safe-and-sealed-gears-up-to-greet-phuket-visitors

there is a minimum stay for now of 30 days, 14 of which will be in quarantine, the scheme will be the test bed for the rest of Thailand. there are other restrictions like tests etc but its a start im sure. the scheme is due to start from early october.

norbert2008
    Participant

I do as a close friend lives and works in Bangkok. This was the message from the government last week. It may change but no international arrivals as yet or date planned.

anyonebutba
    Participant

for Bangkok no, the trial starts in Phuket only for now, from 1st october

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1008440]Is Thailand wise to continue with its band on international flights until January? Will it not bring this county’s economy to its knees?[/quote]

If this were to happen what would happen to Thai Airways ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1008459]Is Thailand wise to continue with its band on international flights until January? Will it not bring this county’s economy to its knees?

If this were to happen what would happen to Thai Airways ?[/quote]

I wonder what will happen to the majority of hotels and their staff that have less than 15% occupancy currently.

Anyone know the numbers allowed in currently as some hotels are benefiting from the 14 day compulsory quarantine.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008445][/postquote]

This is total madness and I mentioned it in another thread. How many people do you know that can come away on holiday for 30 days and spend 14 of them in isolation … this is a sham idea to appease the Tourist industry on its knees here. I live in Phuket the locals are starving and what is even worse the Thai Government are making visa restrictions and renewals even harder whereby after 2 amnesties they are insisting people now have to leave the country to renew visas which is fine but getting back is a lottery only won by very few!

So in answer to the OPs question the airports will remain closed for the majority until 21 and Phuket and the other holiday islands will at that point be on their knees!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tramor01
    Participant

There are several forums in The Nation (see links below) discussing the issue
    https://www.thaivisa.com

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1179123-thailand-seeks-safe-way-of-reopening-borders-to-boost-economy/
    https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1179175-thais-hope-2-million-foreign-tourists-will-visit-from-year-end-to-march-despite-all-the-restrictions/

The consensus from many of the forum posters suggest that without a radical re-think the Thai government’s proposals for allowing tourists back into the country are a non starter, unless that is, visitors plan on staying for at least a month, or indeed several months

cwoodward
    Participant

The Thai government has ‘flip-flopped’ on this issue several times already and almost certainly will do so again. My suspicion,and it is only that, is that they will change again and that we will see some further change of policy prior end September.
    My thoughts about Alex’s question is that the Thai government would never let Thai Airways fail-pride alone would prevent this given the government is not short of funds.

I was told yesterday by someone who knows about these things that the HK government is in advanced talks with Singapore,Japan and Thailand for the resumption of flights between the four destinations prior to end September. To me this seems possible but not likely until perhaps October.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008549][/postquote]

What is clear is that there is a clear majority of Thais when asked that dont want the borders opened that could and may bring back COVID which the Thai Authorities have done so well to eradicate… The announcement the other day is to appease the holiday islands which are being decimated as interestingly enough tourism throughout Thailand makes up about 26% GDP which goes up to about 60-70% in places like Phuket… so there is a clear divide within the Government here, and this is shown with the 30 day minimum stay inc 14 day quarantine suggesting the type of visitor Thailand wants as opposed to what it gets!

1 user thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

The ‘Bangkok Post’ today is worth reading. What the Thai PM is intimating will not encourage visitors at all. I quote:

“There will be forms to fill in. Flights must be traceable. When they reach their destinations their whereabouts will have to be confirmed and they will be isolated from others,” the prime minister said.

My next trip scheduled for end of November has already been blighted by significant schedule changes. If this sort of thing is at all likely then I for one will not go.

I note that the Thai currency has depreciated quite a bit over the last week or so, I wonder why.

BPP

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know the OP highlights the position in Thailand, a country where I also need to travel for work and am keen to return. The reality is though, Thailand is not alone, virtually the whole of Asia is either closed or with 14 day STRICT quarantine.

I could possibly substitute BKK with HKG for work, but am not willing to undertake 14 days of strict quarantine and probably multiple covid tests. I am surviving on video conferencing which is great for keeping clients happy, but not so good for winning new business.

I just find it strange how different countries are dealing with what intrinsically is the same problem and trying to reach the same objectives. As others have suggested, it’s a pity countries are not working together more…

As for Thailand – I feel confident that whatever happens, the land of smiles will smile again someday soon…

2 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008608][/postquote]

Thats not the half of it BPP. We are actually here in Thailand have benefited from 2 amnesties as the borders have remained closed but now the final amnesty is coming to an end on the 26th Sept and everyone with a tourist visa will have to “leave the country” to get their visa renewed… if only! Martyn is right every country here in Asia is becoming more strict than the other, for instance, as a business owner in Singapore and married to a Singaporean (albeit not recognised within Singapore) it is a arduous process made up of many documents many tests (acceptable) buying your own thermometer so that you can take your own temp when back in Singapore (at $2K to stay in a Government facility you would have thought they would throw in a daily temperature check?) and as we are a married couple not recognized in Singapore the likelihood is we will be quarantined in separate facilities also to make things worse!

It is almost impossible to get around Asia at present and for those saying that it wont be long before you can get back to the “land of smiles” my retort is dont hold your breath, it seems the Junta (sorry I mean the Government) is doing everything in its power to make it as difficult as possible for everyone inc those legitimately allowed to be here, work permit holders, property owners, those married to Thai Nationals to get into the country, those who want to visit without 6-8 weeks on your hands just forget!

3 users thanked author for this post.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Might be yet another Amnesty coming…BANGKOK, Thailand will Extend the country’s state of emergency until the End of September its fifth extension citing the COVID-19 situation across the globe as a remaining concern.Nothing in the Royal Gazette as far as I can see so ..maybe.mai ko jai for certain.

The Current State of Emergency will end on August 31st…September 26 being of course rge cut off date for the grace period but will try and find out if any update for anxious visa tourists.
    As an extra…just got my New 1 year extension this week at CM Immigration.. who were very polite,efficient,helpful and professional….so happy about that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls