Head in the Sand or Wise Thailand Lockdown?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Hi K1ngston/TerryMcManus24.
    Thanks for the on-site update. I need to make a decision on this by first week in November.
    If you or any other Forum contributor are in central Bangkok it would be very helpful to have continued updates on the state of things like the Public boats/Skytrain/Malls/Restaurants/Airport/Security etc etc (ie getting around).
    Emirates have changed my flight shedule twice recently due to cancellations, I am rather hoping that they cancel all flights into BKK as it will eliminate any ‘cancellation or change’ fees.
    Thanks
    BPP

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008725][/postquote]

BPP I am in Phuket but I know that the city ie Bangkok is suffering also from the effects of the COVID situation and most hotels are applying to become Official Quarantine Hotels to supplement their income. As for how the city is I cannot comment maybe Terry can, here in Phuket things are dire with restaurants and tourist establishments closing everyday, there is no clear sign of COVID ( I mean mask wearing) as there is I believe a sense that its eradicated from Phuket in particular, but as already stated with the bizarre change of visa requirements and timings staying here will be difficult, getting back nigh on impossible!

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Lack of visitors means seven Thai airlines seek state support.

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-airlines-loans/seven-thai-airlines-seek-770-mln-in-state-support-idUSL4N2FU3JC

BPP

BPP
    Participant

I rang Emirates yesterday – must say they were very helpful. I can either cancel or re-shedule to 2021, both FoC which is good.
    BPP

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

I was supposed to head back to London in May with Etihad for but all shut down although Eti contacted me immediately and made some suggestions including…Let us know when you want to go.(mai ko jai).Looking at maybe Oct-Nov-Dec..whatever.They also told me I was now a Gold Card member…about time..

Not all doom and gloom on the domestic side..Just for info…Might need to go down to Bangers for a couple of days so again JFI…one way…RT works out cheaper.

Chiang Mai (CNX) – Bangkok (Any)
    1 adult Economy
    Tue, 1 Sep.Stops -Direct.Best £24
    Flexible tickets
    Only show airlines with flexible tickets
    Departure Times
    Outbound…00:00 – 23:59
    Airlines
    AirAsia…£49
    Bangkok Airways.£32
    Nok Air………£26
    Thai AirAsia….£32
    Thai Airways….£72
    Thai Lion Air…£25
    Thai Smile……£28
    Thai VietJet Air.£24

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Great headline in the Thaivisa.com today, which really does sum up Thailand… currently

“Another day, another ‘plan’ flown up the pole to see if it will catch some wind. This time……”

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1008972][/postquote]

I used to do a lot of deals for Thai companies and kept a close eye on the Thai financial services regulatory situation and developments. It became apparent to me very early on that the Thai government approach was to throw ideas out there (usually in somewhat general terms), see if people were generally supportive or opposed, and then decide what to do. It seems as though things haven’t changed!

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1009276][/postquote]

Apparently in the press today a German tourist who has been here in relative safety as the COVID numbers are zero, sent an open email to the Prime Minister asking why are the Thai authorities putting peoples lives at risk by forcing people out of the country and apparently the Prime Minister wants to speak with said German… Folk lore I have no idea but in the land of smiles nothing will ever surprise me thats for sure 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

DerekVH
    Participant

[postquote quote=1010094][/postquote]

Page Not Found

AMcWhirter
    Participant

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-bali/new-virus-cases-knock-hopes-of-reviving-southeast-asias-holiday-hotspots-idUSKBN25Z0C6

If the above link does not work then search for the piece under

“New virus cases knock hopes of reviving Southeast Asia’s holiday sunspots.”

K1ngston
    Participant

New coming out of Singapore today is that Phuket will not open its International airport in 2020 and will only do so early 2021, that is horrendous news for the local population and the varying news articles that are coming out across Asia! For the tourist industry here this will mean another 50K people losing their jobs on top of the 50K already furloughed or out of work… Not Good!!!

cwoodward
    Participant

Ah, the Thai Flip-flop Flip-flop again. Rather suspected it would happen-unlikely to be the last time ether methinks.

Reported in Hong Kong today that the HK government has opened negotiations with 9 countries to open ‘bubble’ arrangements that will freely allow travellers into and out of those countries. It could take some time………….. but it’s a start.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

When it seems that Chinese whispers might be fo real…take a step back and wait for the smoke and ghosts to appear…update…
    BUSINESS
    Govt to finalise entry plan for foreign visitors by Oct 31
    PUBLISHED : 9 SEP 2020 AT 14:40

WRITER: REUTERS

Visitors take pictures in front of sculptures made of white sand imitating ice in the
    Visitors take pictures in front of sculptures made of white sand imitating ice in the “Frost Magical Ice of Siam” park outside Pattaya on Sept 2, 2020. (AFP photo)
    The government’s plan to reopen to long-term foreign visitors should be finalised before the end of October, a senior official said on Wednesday.

The plan is intended to help revive the ailing Tourism sector and save Millions of jobs. It seeks to allow visitors to enter Thailand through international airports provided they do a mandatory 14-day Quarantine. They would then be Allowed to travel freely….
    https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1982487/govt-to-finalise-entry-plan-for-foreign-visitors-by-oct-31

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls