Has anybody seen the new KLM business class already??

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

• MarcusUK
    Participant

A very interesting article, and offers a great insight into how KLM do the things they do, and so much behind their efforts.

The seat looks rather ordinary in the sketch?

I am sure that tomorrow’s unveiling will shows the overall design more. It is really quite an important step for KLM their future, and how they will be seen in the European market for business travel. Resources are limited in these tough times, so it represents a huge investment, and one that has to go right.

Such an opportunity to refresh and be innovative, and for The Dutch Airline to share with its loyal customers, as well as potentially new ones, how innovation comes through its Company.

Vertrek
    Participant

Fantastic!! Can’t wait to see their new Business class seat and cabin ambiance! Less than 24 hours to go!

Interestingly, they are redesigning Economy seat as well, hopefully they’ll put in Premium Economy! =)

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m flying over there tomorrow to be at the launch so I will post something asap.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I can t wait either to see the new product and sample it .I just hope it will give an impression of spaciousness unlike many others ,! KLM has always offered the most spacious business cabins among European carriers and I hope they keep the trend …fingers crossed !

Vertrek
    Participant

Looking forward to your report BT, and if you got the chance do ask if they have any plan to add Premium Economy, as well. =)

KSHaggag,

From the picture posted by SIte Administrator, it looks like KLM is adopting the Diamond Seat like LX. However, they will play on the design of the product, to minimised the “plastic” and change it with other material like leather. Let’s see how it goes tomorrow. =)

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi Vertrek,
    I just hope the seat pitch will be different or anything to give a feeling of spaciousness even if seat pitch is irrelevant here ,I just wanna see something roomier than all other European carriers .Come on big blue ,don’t disappoint me please!

We’ve just posted some more images here – Tom is at the unveiling and will add details to the piece as and when he is able to.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/klm-unveils-fully-flat-business-class-seat

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I love the colour scheme, very KLM. This looks comparable to LX, OS and a few more, excellent product.

Well done KLM. I look forward to trying it.

MarcusUK
    Participant

The story behind the development makes great reading. The cabin looks very spacious and co-ordinated, though I am not sure how warm it feels to the eye.

The seat whilst staggered, looks nothing special or innovative on its own. Flat it may be, the materials and colours. But the quality still looks like 3 cushions, with gaps in the middle.
    the use of some duvet or blankets would have given it a warmer look…?

No news on Dutch TV of the launch, not seem to have been well publicised either, great pity…
    Hope BT can give us a greater insight…?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello, I’ll write some more on it tonight and tomorrow morning – just got back.

As far as coverage is concerned, I think the press that were there were hampered by some pretty poor coordination – the presentation started late, international press had flights booked to get home, there was no wifi provided in the venue for press to file, most international press missed the press conference, either because they were unaware it was taking place, or were told they should get on the bus to get back to the airport etc etc… all of which affects getting the story out…

As far as the seat is concerned, I’ve posted a bit more on the new piece – but I didn’t (even) get a chance to sit in it, only observing it from afar !

DutchinSwitzerland
    Participant

Although it might not be the CX style seat I still like it a lot. Especially the fact that you now have some special single seats in the nose of the 747 is pretty cool for us single travellers. As Marcus pointed out nothing on Dutch news end even KLM’s own website isn’t full about it towards its clients, they should be proud about it….

Vertrek
    Participant

It is a shame that they didn’t do the event properly.
    And it hasn’t even published in their webpage yet. However, they do publish some picture in their Facebook and Pinterest page.

However, product-wise, I have to say it looks comfortable, 207CM, 25CM longer then me! Sounds good to me! It is also looks nicer than LH’s seat.

Just checked a flight to HKG at the end of the year, ex AMS on Tuesday and Ex HKG (to AMS) on Friday, both flights seem to have the new seating arrangement, with 1A as the only seat on the left side.

Links:
    http://pinterest.com/KLM/wbc/
    http://goo.gl/9qCtd

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi Vertrek,

Well, I’m seeing it from a journalist’s point of view – I’m sure for most people at the party it was a very different experience. AFter all, they don’t have to write the story.

I’ve posted some links to the short videos I took at the event – and the visualisation of the passenger’s journey in the seat from Amsterdam to New York was brilliantly done, very imaginative.

It also impresses me how KLM is making the best of what it has – great designers, good tableware, interesting food etc…. It is very much a Dutch brand and though international, it celebrates Dutch culture in an unmistakable way.

JordanD
    Participant

Just a thought (and this is based only on looking at the photos): the top criticism of BA’s Club World product is the lack of direct aisle access, and looking at the photos of the business class in the nose of the 747, it appears that passengers in the window seats have no direct access to the aisle.

So is it really that much of a step up when this “top criticism” remains?

Edski777
    Participant

From what it looks like in the media KLM is certainly making a huge step up. They selected what is regarded to be the best business seat available at the moment, specially designed tableware and included food by one of the best Dutch chefs with a 3 and a 2 Michelin star restaurant.
    Combine that with their environmentally friendly approach to materials selected and put all this in the hands of a well known designer.
    By reducing the amount of seats from 42 to 35 I also expect an increase in the seat pitch. This will probably allow for direct aisle access while seated. That is sufficient for most of us I asume.
    I’m very happy that KLM still only offers forward looking seats. Having flown backwards a few times on BA CW I must admit that that was not my preferred mode of travel.

Combine all this with the improved service on board over the last couple of years and the other European carriers have a strong competitor for the best J product at their doorstep.

From the looks of it KLM will, with this product, be right up there with LX and, from a different continent, CX. Let’s see if they make their promisses come true in the near future.
    I am definitely looking forward to trying out this product soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls