FRA Opens 4th Runway

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Spot on.

As regards the EU it’s “Better to be inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in” as Lyndon B. Johnson said.

I still believe we shouldn’t adopt the Euro, and also believe we should retain our strong links to North America and the Caribbean, but also look to the East (particularly India, moreso than China) and ensure we have the transport infrastructure to do so.

I am less concerned about London’s links with China as that is primarily around manufacturing, of which we do little, Germany does a lot, whereas we maintain good links with the knowledge and services based Indian economy, which is a better for the UK to do business with on many levels.

I do believe the Boris Island plan hasn’t yet had its day in court; but if it is to happen it has to have the support of business leaders and be largely privately driven, even if with some state support.

Perhaps we can get the EU to pay for it 😉

RichHI1
    Participant

As previously posted I would prefer to discuss aviation in this forum. I believe fervently in free trade and have seen the Eu sacrifice this to a political agenda but I do not hink this forum is the best place to address this.
    The only way my views on Europe are relevant here is that seeing the Uk as a free trade state on a global basis we need an aviation infrastructure that supports trade with all parts of the globe including Asia, the Americas and Africa as well as not focussed on Europe.
    So if we agree on the need for uk to be more proactive in aviation and plan a new airport for London that also meets the needs of other regions, how do we get this on the political agenda?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Henkel.Trocken, LPPSKrisflyer and VK – guys you have all been well and truly brainwashed about the EU, which is a long term strategic deception operation. We will never get world class infrastructure until we retake control of our own country. Please read: –

http://worldreports.org/edwardharle/the_european_union_collective

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

BucksnetL I don’t think I’ve been brainwashed about anything thank you. I am aware of how important the EU is to my business and it’s not difficult to see where we would be with out it. We’ll be staying in so get used to the idea and work with it rather than whinging about it.

Bucksnet
    Participant

You don’t think you have, but the EU spends billions on propaganda.

If you’re talking about a large European market being important to your business that’s fine, but we don’t need the EU to have free trade. And you’re right, it’s not difficult to see where we would be with out it – a collection of democratic nation states, instead of what we have now.

If you actually looked into the EU, specifically its origins and strategic objectives, then you would realise it’s far more important than a whinge.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet, I am afraid you are wasting your time. The EU propaganda machine has been pushing the fear and half truths for too long. I am afraid it is like dealing with teenagers, you can tell them something is stupid and they will regret it but there are times that they have to learn by their mistakes. Even the most die hard euro fanatic has begun to see the Euro was a mistake and it will take probably another 3-4 years before the whole sham becomes obviously a disaster to everyone. They do not understand about the interdependence of trade, sovereignty and fiscal policy and the establishment will continue to push the conspiracy for their advantage. What we must so is ensure an infrastructure is built that will support business when the truth dawns.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I hear you Rich, but sometimes I just have to try and clue people up.

Waddsey1
    Participant

Having landed on the new runway at Frankfurt earlier this evening I can say that the journey into FRA was great – no stacking – but it did take a rather long time to reach the terminal after landing.

However, efficient as ever, the passport queue was dealt with efficiently. I enjoy FRA even though in places you have to walk for what appears to be like ‘for ever’ but the upside is the transport hub with trains to many destinations all a short walk from terminal one.

On arrival in Mainz I was brought up to speed on the additional noise people must now suffer for living close to FRA. The opening of the new runway has brought a number issue to the fore.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I was through FRA earlier in the week. It was never as bad as LHR for stacking but this week there was no hold at all. I was out of the airport within 20 minutes complete with a checked bag. Certainly for me I see FRA as the hub of travel for Europe, London has been left way behind by shortsightedness on the part of successive governments and BA.

To the doubters, Britain is in Europe and staying there, it’s the right thing to do so get over your doubts and conspiracy theories and start being positive about the great future we could have at the heart of Europe.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Great future?

Ever since we joined what we thought was just a ‘Common Market’ the UK has gone downhill.

Enough is enough, time to let the people decide.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Bucksnet: the people did decide. I’m old enough to remember and to have voted. It was and remains the right decision. People need to get on with it. Put your energy in to working for a great future rather than mewling and puking on the sidelines.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The people were lied to when the ‘Common Market’ vote was put to them, and most voters have never had a vote on the issue.

There is not going to be a great future, only more and more facist control. Maybe you should research the original Nazi plan that was published in Berlin in 1942 (Europaische Wirtshaftgemeinschaft (EEC)), before you comment on something you seem to know little about.

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

Frankfurt works as a hub because it is basically one huge interconnected building. Heathrow doesn’t because you have to take buses and trains to change terminals. It is more like three separate airports: LHR Ts1&3, LHR T4 and LHR T5.

RichHI1
    Participant

I find the experiences of FRA, how the new runway helps delays but has caused more noise etc interesting. Please can we stop the euro politicking! We know there are those who believe In a Euro Super state and there are those who believe that itis fatally flawed as is and will develop into another structure without some of the current members. The views are strongly held and the constant stream of propoganda will not change either side. Let’s stick to what this forum is about, transport. Does sound like FrA has taken a very positive step.

Bucksnet
    Participant

FRA has taken a positive step – no stacking and basically a single terminal arrangement, but this will not be allowed to happen at LHR because it will improve things for the UK.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls