FRA Opens 4th Runway

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)

• Anonymous

Bucksnet
    Participant

Frankfurt Airport has opened its 4th runway.

The new runway is much shorter than the other 3, and will be used for landings only.

We need this at LHR to reduce stacking, which can take as long as 30-45 minutes at peak times, but alas our useless government won’t act in the best interests of the country and we fall further behind the other major European hubs.

RichHI1
    Participant

Not just European Hubs. Bussing again at T3 on BA Friday night, IRIS broken, circled and circled. It is positively third world (no that is disrespectful to third world countries where their governments are at least trying to fix the mess.) No transport infrstructures plan, no referendum on Europe, no growth in the economy but lots of advise for the Euro countries and Libya. Makes you proud!

flier74
    Participant

Sadly BA will always have to bus at T3, as the Airport keeps the jettys there for longhaul flights and other carriers. BA I believe tried to solve this issue but got nowehere with the Airport operator, only the 747s and 777s there are granted on terminal poisitons. Luckily BA has organised premuim coaching for CE Passengers on the majority of routes into T3 and MAD and BCN services move to T5 at the endo of the month so hopefully that will ease things. Yes there wil lalways be coaching even at T5 but lets face it, this happens at other Airports too, i.e. LH in FRA, AMS, CDG etc, even though many people seem to think it is only LHR for some reason.
    Don’t start me on IRIS, it drives me mad that they hardly work and now that UK Border Control propose closing them all together I do not lok forward to the queues as they are bad enogh as they are now and I love it when there are 2 staff on EU Passports and about 20 on non EU with hardly anyone queuing there….rant over, but wish they would sort Immigration out in the Airports

Bucksnet
    Participant

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all the gates at T3 are capable of handling wide body planes. I’ve said this before, but I think BA should move more long haul flights to T3, like the routes AA flies as well (DFW, JFK, MIA, ORD etc), and move all narrow body flights to T5. Far less bussing would result.

Also of note is that SK is at T3 and all their flights are on narrow bodies, but they get better treatment than BA for some reason. Time for them to move to T1 me thinks.

watersz
    Participant

Having landed at Frankfurt many times it seems to have one of the longest coach journies I encounter from plane to terminal and vice versa . another Runway seems to take away alot beneifit of reduced stacking as more planes have to use the apron rather than a gate to park

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet as previously posted I would move all US flights to T3 and install US CBP (A la Dublin and Shannon). BA, AA, NZ, UA, DL, VS, KU but focus has changed form destination and adding pax value to meeting airline needs hence division by aliance except 1W. FOr me the major problem with UK airports is they see Airlines as their customers not pax. Pax are just revenue opportunities just as people are just votes particularly if they live in Conservative constituencies under flight path to LHR.

Do not fly to Europe much so cannot comment on bussing there. I know that bussing in US is very very rare. IAD and MEX T1 use these strange Star Wars like transports that JFK used to have.

Easiest prize is longest taxi (distance goes to AMS, time is either LHR or JFK).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whislt I am all in favour of US CBP (A la Dublin and Shannon) at Heathrow, I have to say, that thought of the stars and stripes on show in such a prime position makes me positively sick. Not becasue I dislike Americans but becasue of the smugness on the faces of all Americans passing through Heathrow. !

RichHI1
    Participant

Once the UK follows up on its undertaking to work on Global Iniative for Border security, maybe we could see a Union Jack flying at JFK and LAX? Or is that too progressive for the UKBA? After all the USA is not in the EU so it cannot matter.
    I would rather see a Stars and Stripes than one of those EU flags. I am so glad BA do not put it on their planes. (but having read BA do not regard UK as in EU this will continue)

Bucksnet
    Participant

CBP at Heathrow is a bad idea for the likes of BA, as connecting passengers would have to reclaim their luggage and check it in again. Not doing this is a major advantage for BA and other hub carriers.

RichHI1
    Participant

However it would be a major advantage for UK originating passengers, so on balance BA could turn it to their advantage with some creativity. Particuarly linking into AA domestic network and Mexcian and Cnetral America Connections

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I’m with MartynSinclair on this one, the idea of a US CBP at LHR is quite nauseating. What we really need to to sign the Schengen agreement and have free flow within Europe, that would be progress.

RichHI1
    Participant

Krisflyer guess we go different ways on this.The idea of signing the Schengen agreement and having total free flow of Europeans with no control to me is truly revolting. Having Stars and Stripes at LHR does not bother me in the slightest, nor would Maple Leaf or the Flags of our Commonwealth cousins. Just not the EU.
    I guess personal beliefs go deep and there is no reason why everyone should hold the same views, that is what Democracy is all about.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Yes let’s join Schengen and let anyone just enter the country with no checks whatsoever. The EU’s borders are not secure, and once in you can just go where you want. No thanks.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Bucksnet, that is hilarious.

As a Schengen resident I am literally rolling on the floor.

Your country is the country that checks people in, but not out, like the Hotel California.

Your government cannot even confirm the number of people in the country and the courts seem to let nearly anyone stay, under the auspices of human rights.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls