FRA Opens 4th Runway

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Having to connect any time I am flying long haul, I regularly experience the European hubs. T5 by very far is the best experience. One terminal, efficient, never more a luggage problem, nice choice of shops and restaurants and security relatively smooth even when packed. FRA, you walked miles among a “metro at peak hour” crowd, having regularly to go through tiny underground gangways… An absolute disaster… Even CDG is better, and CDG is not a reference…

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

I agree, Swissdiver, that T5 on its own is a good experience; the trouble comes when you have to change terminals at LHR. My last London connection was LCY-LHR T5, and even that was a better experience than changing terminals at LHR.

In FRA last week I experienced some of the long walking you refer to, but it was OK. Also, I travelled through CDG’s T3 for the first time recently, and was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t need to change terminals (thank goodness!) but was very easily able to catch a bus into town.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Terminal 5 is a modern terminal, but so are others, Cairo T3 for example. One modern terminal does not an airport make.

Munich is probably the best European airport I use, as both terminals are within easy walking distance across a small square and one can easily connect.

Heathrow is one of the worst, because it is painful to connect landside between the terminals (not all airlines have interline agreements and one cannot always use the less painful flight connections service.)

Frankfurt is not one of my favourites, but I do prefer it to Heathrow, as it is more integrated and is connected by the Skyrail, rather than the schlep to the HEX and/or the Heathrow Connect train.

CDG is not better than FRA, in my opinion, especially if having to clear immigration. People regularly miss flight connections in peak hours.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Agree, DoS, MUC is quite good. So is AMS.

CDG: It depends on the terminal. 2E and 3S (not sure about the name) are relatively good. Others, not really. Never been to T3 (charter flights if I am not wrong).

LHR T1 is not really a pleasure, I agree. But flying BA, I don’t see it often… T5 most of the time, sometimes T3. And HEX is the best airport transfer in Europe (provided you are not using T4).

Bucksnet
    Participant

MUC is better than FRA in my experience, and I wonder how FRA will cope with transfers when they open their T3 on the other side of the airfield.

RichHI1
    Participant

Wha are views on MAD? Checking at MAD I did not like but found connecting from London to Latin America very pleasant. Particularly as many more day time flights than from London.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Hi Rich

MAD T4/T4s are modern and pretty user friendly (although you can walk a fair while and the train across takes a few mins.)

However, the rest of the airport lets the side down and isn’t great.

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls