FRA Opens 4th Runway

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)

• Bucksnet
    Participant

You’ve got me wrong VK. It depends what you think the problem is, and its construction would cause little disruption. The plan is not good, but it is better than nothing.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t think anyone is proposing doing nothing.

Adopting the six point plan I set out earlier in this thread would add about what, maybe 10% capacity (?) to LHR without any construction cost whatsoever.

There’s absolutely a need for increased capacity in the short term, but even a Third Runway wouldn’t come online until 2020, and the additional capacity is needed now.

It is barking mad to suggest demolishing two villages, reorganising the taxiways at LHR, building a new sixth terminal with road and rail links and demolishing several hotels and offices on the Bath Road, not to mention resiting the car parks alongside the one of the busiest live runways on the panet would constitute “little disruption”. More barking than Crufts on finals day.

If on top of that you moved one of the existing runways at LGW to make it a true two runway airport, add another runway at Stansted and use larger aircraft at LHR, you would add far more capacity to the south east than a short runway at LHR, and without the massive disruption both during and after its construction.

Beyond that, build Boris Island and slap in some decent rail links while you’re at it.

RichHI1
    Participant

Why is it whatever the topic we seem to gravitate to EU, lack of UK government transport plan and European Airbus commercial?
    let’ s get back post. Why did FRA choose land only? Are Germany going to replace any airports with new sites? I know many Greeks much preferred the old Athens airport.

Bucksnet
    Participant

VK, I never mentioned anything about a 6th terminal. What would that be for? A hub airport needs to be uncongested.

The Labour government’s plan is, as you say, barking. I do not agree with it as it would make LHR even more of a mess than it already is.

Level the whole site and start again!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, the EU has a direct or indirect bearing on almost every issue and it’s time to leave. Shame our spineless politicians won’t give us a vote on it.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet I think only the ignorant or stupid would disagree on our immediate need to exit the EU. My thoughts are simply that given the Uk has a government which is one of the most pro Eu since Edward Heath, can we focus on some less depressing things.
    My hope is that come the next election people will remember. The two problems are that Cameron will do a U turn the day before he calls the election and say he has always opposed EU integration and the Tory faithful will swallow it and problem two only the Ukip and the dup are pro Uk And dup only stand in Ireland and Ukip cannot currently be taken seriously. So… What are those crazy Germans up to?

Bucksnet
    Participant

What they are up to is economic domination of Europe. The so called Euro debt crisis has been created on purpose, and is a pretext to grab more power by imposing a single EU treasury and taxes direct to Brussels etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_House_Report

VintageKrug
    Participant

*Flash Gordon enters stage left*

RichHI1
    Participant

I have never heard Gordon called that before but we have him to thank for not being in Euro. Judging by what we have seen the Cameron attempts to get us into Euro would have succeeded.
    I think it is not right to be anti German though. It was obvious that the Euro required fiscal union and he who pays the piper calls the tune. I do not see Osbourne’s single policy approach as that different to the Germans though.
    I was referring more to German civil aviation activities. Lufthansa
    got my vote when they ordered 748i’s.

VintageKrug
    Participant

David Cameron has never attempted to “get us into the Euro”.

And as for Gordon Brown (and it wasn’t him to whom I was referring by “Flash Gordon” but the eponymous superhero) being responsible for keeping us out of the euro – laughable!

I believe the true hero was someone with considerable more style and presence than either of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tetk_ayO1x4

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Bucksnet

“Disgusted, to be fair to VK I cannot see a post from you asking about northerly stacks.”

It was on another thread, months ago. [21/07/2011 14:32 GMT]

Bucksnet
    Participant

RichHI1
    Participant

It is unfortunate that some posters use facts when it suits their case and spin when it doesn’t. Or have we conveniently forgotten the Erm fiasco?

As Gordon Brown was undoubtedly not one of best Prime Ministers it suits Many toforget the stand he took onthe Euro for the very reasons that have come to pass. The reason why the europeanization of the British establishment has happened is because many feel more comfortable with the political spin of the parties rather than cold fact.

For the sake of political balance, I feel that Cameron’s rivaling Brown for least successful premier of recent years is partially due to his political skills and majorly due to this dreadful coalition which is giving none of the electorate, left right or centre what they voted for. At least they are managing to control the deficit, shame it is not accompanied by a pro business growth agenda.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I thought the UK was part of the EU and IMO long may it remain so with tighter integration on all fronts so that along with Germany and France we take our place leading direction and policy. For too many years we have sat on the sidelines sniping and whinging about it when we should have been taking advantage of the great strengths the EU brings. The Euro is one of them, badly managed in allowing the PIGS in under the circumstances they were but as we stayed out we can hardly complain, you can’t change the past only the future. Schengen is an essential part of free trade, how come you can move objects freely across borders but not people, it’s nonsense. The idea that the UK should be clinging to the special relationship with the US which was only ever to their advantage is nonsense and the sooner people wake up and realise that the only future we have is at the heart of Europe the better.

To the point, there are not than many major cities in Europe, London, Paris, Frankfurt being the main ones as centres of commerce. There are more secondary cities which include some of the capitals such as Madrid, Rome and then other cities like Milan and Munich. Then there are places which are relatively minor in terms of commerce though they may still be viewed as important like Oslo, Barcelona and Prague.

Cities need airports in line with their importance to Europe and the links to go with them It’s clear that Paris and Frankfurt are light years ahead of London on the air travel score. LH have been visionary followed by AF with BA coming in last continuing to hanker after links to the US when links to China would be more important for business today.

LHR is a disaster area, a third runway is not worth building, it will improve nothing. The six points outlined by VK above are the only sensible way forward together with a wake up call to BA to start serving markets to the east. There needs to be planning on a grand scale to build a new airport for London with all the links and infrastructure it demands.

The only place for it is the Thames Estuary and the sooner it starts the better otherwise London will drop to a second class city in terms of business and commerce as it will not be accessible either by air from emerging markets and Europeans will stop coming to London to do business as it turns in to a back water protected as ever by our paranoid immigration officers. Who will be happy then?

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Henkel.Trocken well said, I couldn’t have put the points any better.

People who spout nonsense about leaving the EU must have no sense of the business we generate simply be being part of it. Leaving the EU or even thinking about it is the absolute height of ignorance and stupidity.

Can we focus on building Boris Island?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls