Flybe's days numbered?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=933785]Services to places like Wick can’t be a gold mine – cheaper to fly to the Middle East at times![/quote]

You’ll probably find that this will be one of their more profitable routes. Likely subsidised by ta Scottish Government grant, thus creating a guaranteed income stream

Whatever cuts are made I’d like to hope its for the greater cause, although do feel sorry for the smaller airports and the consequences attached to the decision

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=933785]From ABZ they currently fly to Belfast–City, Birmingham, Durham Tees Valley, Humberside, London–Heathrow, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich and Wick year round with
    seasonal services to Jersey and Newquay.[/quote]

Worth noting that three of the above routes (Durham/Humberside/Norwich) are operated by Eastern Airways.

Flybe merely sells the tickets.

Eastern’s future is unclear.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airnorth-and-eastern-could-be-sold-under-bristow-res-457851/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today Flybe announced that CEO Christine Ourmieres is stepping down on July 15.

She joined Flybe as CEO less than three years ago.

The news follows the sale to Flybe to the Connect Airways consortium about which Business Traveller has already reported.

capetonianm
    Participant

She won’t be missed.

No doubt there will be a cushy well-paid state-sponsored job for her back at Air France or another overstaffed and inefficient French parastatal. If not, there’s always ‘chômage’.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m surprised she is still there. I would have thought the new owners would have brought in a fresh CEO earlier than this.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=936370]She won’t be missed.

No doubt there will be a cushy well-paid state-sponsored job for her back at Air France or another overstaffed and inefficient French parastatal. If not, there’s always ‘chômage’.[/quote]

I also have dictionaries.

Not sure why she is blamed for current financial problems as they seem to stem back to previous management selecting wrong business model and fleet type. The writing appeared on the wall some time back, and credit card companies started holding back funds for longer in case they were faced with the fallout from Flybe financial failure.

It really needs someone of the calibre of Michael O’Leary, Alex Cruz or Willie Walsh, but they are reaping the rewards of their success, and investing in their respective businesses. Not sure if a combination of Virgin, Stobart and a VC will find a long term solution.

transtraxman
    Participant

Referring to the title of this thread Flybe is certainly going to disappear. The substitution of the CEO is just part of that process. From the very start of the takeover by Connect it was said that Flybe would operate under the Virgin Atlantic name, as its feeder airline. This seems rather a misnomer since flying the North Sea and Irish Sea, in my books, does not really qualify as the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe Connect should think of using the name, for its British isles operations, of Virgin European (despite the failed Belgian experience) or even Virgin Flybe, which is much more logical. In that case Flybe would not disappear totally.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=936385]Referring to the title of this thread Flybe is certainly going to disappear. The substitution of the CEO is just part of that process. From the very start of the takeover by Connect it was said that Flybe would operate under the Virgin Atlantic name, as its feeder airline. This seems rather a misnomer since flying the North Sea and Irish Sea, in my books, does not really qualify as the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe Connect should think of using the name, for its British isles operations, of Virgin European (despite the failed Belgian experience) or even Virgin Flybe, which is much more logical. In that case Flybe would not disappear totally.[/quote]

Combine Flybe and Virgin European names and you have FlyVE, rather than FlyBE (Fly British European, formerly Jersey European)

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=936385]Referring to the title of this thread Flybe is certainly going to disappear. The substitution of the CEO is just part of that process. From the very start of the takeover by Connect it was said that Flybe would operate under the Virgin Atlantic name, as its feeder airline. This seems rather a misnomer since flying the North Sea and Irish Sea, in my books, does not really qualify as the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe Connect should think of using the name, for its British isles operations, of Virgin European (despite the failed Belgian experience) or even Virgin Flybe, which is much more logical. In that case Flybe would not disappear totally.[/quote]

On that basis why would Virgin Atlantic still have ‘Atlantic’ at all?

Maybe the new owners want to ditch FlyBe? Hasn’t it been a bit of a joke for a while (FlyMayBe etc) and perhaps part of building some shareholder value/brand equity is getting shot of the old connotations?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=936399]On that basis why would Virgin Atlantic still have ‘Atlantic’ at all?[/quote]

Exactly. We would see Virgin Atlantic operating routes like London City to Exeter, Southampton to Manchester or Birmingham to Glasgow.

transtraxman
    Participant

As Business Traveller itself published on 11 Jan. 2019.

The relevant quotes from the piece are………………..

“It spells the beginning of the end for the Flybe brand, as the agreement said that “In due course Flybe will be rebranded to Virgin Atlantic””.

“Utilise the strength of the Virgin Atlantic brand, and the offer of an enhanced customer experience in keeping with Virgin Atlantic’s heritage”.

“Flybe will continue as an independent operating carrier with a separate Air Operator Certificate, under the Virgin Atlantic brand.”

Flybe brand to disappear as Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group agree takeover

I agree, however, that there is no logic in maintaining the brand……Atlantic, at all.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=936404]

On that basis why would Virgin Atlantic still have ‘Atlantic’ at all?

Exactly. We would see Virgin Atlantic operating routes like London City to Exeter, Southampton to Manchester or Birmingham to Glasgow.[/quote]

My point was why even before FlyBe did VA use the ‘Atlantic’ brand?

After all London City to Exeter has the same relevance as Heathrow to Delhi or HK.

I’m sure there are plenty of nonsensical examples down the years….British Midland didn’t fly only to the Midlands.

canucklad
    Participant

It will be fascinating to find out how the new owners of FlyBe will walk the fine line between existing customer brand loyalty and the perceived appeal of the Virgin Brand.

IMO, Virgin Atlantic has a weaker brand reach than BA outside of the Home counties and possibly Manchester. I’d also speculate that the strongest part of their name outside of the home counties is “Atlantic” .

It separates the airline name from the arguably tainted other brands that us oop north associate Virgin more strongly with.

And from a a purely Scottish perspective their Little Red effort is an insult to the story of the our hero below…..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=little+red+engine&qpvt=little+red+engine&view=detail&mid=25DBC538E10A27254DAC25DBC538E10A27254DAC&&FORM=VDRVRV

Not so much I think I can, as why bother at all !!!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=936537]
    IMO, Virgin Atlantic has a weaker brand reach than BA outside of the Home counties and possibly Manchester.
    [/quote]

Would you really find that surprising?

SimonS1
    Participant

More woes for FlyBe then, BBC reporting they are mistreating customers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48838938

How long before this sad excuse for an airline finally goes off the runway.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls