Flybe's days numbered?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

The Channel Islands’ unreliable airline may not be around in its present form for much longer, they are only a hair’s breadth away from bankruptcy and looking for a buyer. A pity in a way as they serve a number of unique routes many of which are important to businessmen, but I don’t think it’s ever really identified its market. The other unfortunate aspect is that whatever happens people will lose their jobs and the Islands may lose important links, although no doubt someone will step in.

I travel to and from the CI a few times a year and invariably go by sea, even Condor are more reliable than Flybe and a much more pleasant experience than the often rude and snappy staff of Flybe.

Any bets on which Irishman might put in a bid?

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have family that retired to Cornwall. Flybe only run flights from Newquay to STN, that ended in summer.
    They planned to run flights to “London Southend!”
    The people in Cornwall have no proper links to a European Hub, unless someone like KLM would go in, and actually they would have great demand awaiting to be met.
    It can be over £300 for a return 5.20hrs train to London, and 2 days to add on (to stayover), to even start a flight outside of the UK.

Perhaps KLM would have a solid market to connect to their hub in Amsterdam, which would enable many to travel directly from their own isolated County in Cornwall, internationally. A couple of flights a day would be a good tester of the market…?
    The Dutch would also love to fly to Newquay, due to the beach and surfing, and already drive over that way with a high % of Dutch travellers in Summer months.

But FLYBE have made no effort to meet the needs of the people of Cornwall, which for them means no useful connections to major European cities, London airports, but LGW. They cut many flights when Air SouthWest was taken over, promising not to drop them, the reality being that they failed to protect many routes such as flights into LCY.

transtraxman
    Participant

Since when has Flybe been a Channel Islands airline?
    Since 1985 it has been registered at Exeter airport in England.

https://www.flybe.com/corporate/about-flybe

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s just about the main link between the CI and mainland. I know as well as you do that it’s not registered there, more so as I have done some work for them in EXT.

As an aside, plenty of companies are registered in jurisdictions that are not their main operating base.

Try making a contribution that has some value perhaps?

iflypremium
    Participant

I personally think that bmi regional,Loganair and flybe all merge to rebrand as British Midland.

Not only will the British Midland brand return, but with new bases at Glasgow ( for remote Scottish destinations,UK and Europe), Manchester and Birmingham as Regional hubs and Exeter as a head office, jobs will be kept and the UK will not suffer a new blow to it’s skies.

I always wonder when major airlines go under,why none of the ME3 ever step in “to help” ? Qatar Airways could easily buy flybe and create a 5 star airline in the UK….wishing well to all flybe employees.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=904886]Since when has Flybe been a Channel Islands airline?

Since 1985 it has been registered at Exeter airport in England.

https://www.flybe.com/corporate/about-flybe[/quote]

Jersey International? 1979.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Hoping that FlyBE come out of this stronger ……

Personally I think FlyBe have found a niche, but not enough people appreciate what they have to offer.
    And since I gave up on the whole chasing points and status ages ago, FlyBe is my airline of choice between EDI & LHR . The smaller aircraft(2×2) and generally friendlier , more personable service makes up for the slightly longer flight duration. Add in, that they’re generally cheaper and it’s a win/win. Plus BA’s on board BOB offering is poor in comparison !!

I can’t speak for other airports, but it does seem that whenever I depart EDI, the FlyBe gates always seem to be busy. Having said that I’ve been on a few flights that I’d guesstamate are below 75% full.

I use them reasonably frequently on flights to and from EDI to CWL, BHX, EMA, MAN, SOU, BHD and LHR. Only on the LHR route is there an alternative, so hope there is a positive resolution to this story.

norbert2008
    Participant

Sadly they dropped the most important route from Norwich to Paris. No idea why they could not make it pay? Please advise much better than KLM stranglehold on international routes. I am going on the 25 min flight tomorrow in economy for £305!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=904837]which for them means no useful connections to major European cities, London airports, but LGW.[/quote]

And the Newquay-London Gatwick route is funded by taxpayers … otherwise chances are it wouldn’t exist.

In September the subsidy was extended.

Flybe keeps its Newquay-Gatwick route, as Cornwall Council strikes subsidy deal with Whitehall

capetonianm
    Participant

I have flown BE to and from the Channel Islands, IOM, and LGW to PGF in the last few years, maybe a total of 10-12 sectors. Without exception, there was a delay or problem of some kind on each flight. I rate them as a very third rate operator with diabolical customer service.

The only trouble free BE flight I’ve taken recently was an early morning NQY-LGW last May. As far as Flybe’s delivery was concerned, the flight was faultless, but the airport experience at NQY was ghastly. It’s a small airport but there were 3 or 4 flights leaving at the same time and the security queue was slow and badly controlled, the staff weren’t particularly polite, but then nor were some of the pax, and they were under pressure. Boarding was chaotic too. It was more expensive than first class rail would have been, but more convenient and obviously faster, as we were going to Brighton.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Sadly, although needed by many, including those above, the airline hasn’t found a profitable niche.
    Probably be bought for slots – its share value is only equivalent to one LHR slot!
    Who needs them most BA,easyjet? Who wants LHR slots more than anyone at the moment, JetBlue does for a planned NYC-LON connection. Any more guesses?

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=904901]Sadly they dropped the most important route from Norwich to Paris. No idea why they could not make it pay? Please advise much better than KLM stranglehold on international routes. I am going on the 25 min flight tomorrow in economy for £305![/quote]

I used KLM out of NWI onto HKG many times, great rates for about 3 years then they went crazy with the pricing just on the NWI-AMS legs, have not been back in 3 years.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=905085]Who wants LHR slots more than anyone at the moment, JetBlue does for a planned NYC-LON connection. Any more guesses?[/quote]

Flybe never paid for its LHR slots. These are called “remedy slots” which became available when Bmi ceased. The slots were originally used for a while by Virgin’s Little Red.

Meanwhile the Welsh government, which owns Cardiff airport, is being urged to protect key routes which are currently being operated by Flybe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46225146

traveldoc1
    Participant

Its closure would also be devastating for BHD – it is THE main operator there. Flights are usually fairly full, but their prices are not at all competitive, despite the “cheap” Q400 aircraft operated, and their service only average.

capetonianm
    Participant

If BE folds, and some industry opinions are that they will survive, someone else will step in to take up the slack on most of the routes. The question is, who. I am not sure that BA or EZY would find it a fit with their current networks, least of all BA who don’t seem to have much interest in anything other than LHR/LGW. FR perhaps just to stop anyone else from getting in on the act?

These articles are reasonably positive.

Why you shouldn’t be concerned about booking with Flybe

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/flybe-sale-takeover-airline-financial-losses-passengers-flights-update-a8635186.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls