Flybe's days numbered?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Currently in Derby and glad I didn’t take the Flybe option when I booked last week. Looking forward to my Loganair flight instead.
    Incidentally a great wee flight down , including a complimentary drinks and snacks service.

[quote quote=992551]Other Airlines such as KLM could step in and start to take people to their own network in Amsterdam for International travel[/quote]

I actually considered flying KLM from Cardiff back to EDI when I was last down there working as the Flybe times didn’t suit and where shockingly expensive.
    Even flying between CWL and EDI via AMS was cheaper and quicker than jumping on a train. Totally bonkers !!

MarcusGB
    Participant

Generally, booking in advance , KLM fly from £79 or £99 return to Amsterdam from various regional airports around the UK.
    Equally, they sell tickets ex NL’s for Euros 99.
    Better if you book your two returns one ex UK the other Ex AMS.

Open Jaw tickets say ex LCY into EDI, cost no more with KLM.

Jenni Reid
    Keymaster

Anyone got a better ode to Flybe than Loganair’s CEO? https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6641140943238103040/

“Long-time friend (though once a foe…),
    We’re truly saddened to see Flybe go;

With true professionals we’ve shared the air,
    And it’s for you guys that we all now must care;

And so to our friends and compatriots at Flybe,
    We hope back in the air soon you all to see.”

Loganair to take over 16 Flybe routes

pheighdough
    Participant

It’s great news to see that both Loganair and Eastern are picking up some of the Flybe routes. I would imagine that these are the more profitable routes?

What I’m not seeing is the Belfast City base routes being picked up, for example I know BHD-SOU is always full so I would think that would be an attractive one to restart?

Belfast was a big base for them along with Manchester, Birmingham and Southampton. Whilst there are alternatives from mainland airports, with Belfast you’ve either got a plane or boat.

Gatwick has easyJet to Aldergrove and Heathrow to Belfast City, but for me Heathrow isn’t ideal, especially as Southampton is a useful regional airport for me.

canucklad
    Participant

The astonishingly quick interventions of both Eastern and even more so Loganair would suggest that they’ve had a plan all ready for the inevitable day that they could implement it .

I’d love to think that the Loganair management have had the intellect to dive deep into Flybe’s business model and identify the pinch points that have led to this very sad day for aviation in the UK, especially for the former employees let down by poor management decisions. And by extension the infrastructure that supported them at Exeter , Southampton and critically Belfast

Incidentally , my first flight ever on Loganair was on Tuesday, I’m now waiting for my return at EMA , and if its half as good as the first leg they’ll have a loyal customer on their hands

1 user thanked author for this post.

PhilipHart
    Participant

If Loganair – and all other UK operators – hadn’t been “war-gaming” different FlyMaybe scenarios, I would be immensely surprised.

capetonianm
    Participant

I would imagine that they met amongst themselves and agreed on a fair carving up of the Flybe routes, to match each carrier’s market and geographical profile.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=992707][/postquote]

Gosh!! How very cynical:-)

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=992754]Gosh!! How very cynical:-)[/quote]

And potentially illegal. It was quite interesting listening to the Loganair CEO Johnathon Hinkes on Radio Scotland today.
    The Business correspondent challenged him about placing the airline at risk by expanding , particularly during the current “crisis” by over expansion too quickly.

His answer was very sensible and measured. The routes they’ve decided to take over fit nicely into their model , focussing on the Scottish hubs and including the honorary Scottish hub at Newcastle. He mentioned that the MAN -SOU route was the most profitable /prized route that FlyBe operated but they were not interested simply because Manchester was not a hub.

Then he was asked about pricing policy, and why if Loganair was more expensive than FlyBe it would be more viable. His answer was a classic….”That’s why they went bust” and intimated that the higher fares reflect Loganair as a Full fares airline

Oh. And by the way, my flight home was as good if not better than my flight down. With the exception of being parked up as far away from the terminal as possible and ironically ended up in amongst the grounded FlyBe fleet

TominScotland
    Participant

Further to my earlier note on using Chargeback to get a refund for a Flybe ticket, congratulations to my bank (OK, I will name them, Barclays) for organising this and posting the money to my account within just over 24 hours after I lodged the claim.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=992668][/postquote]

Unfortunately flights being full and flights being profitable are two different things…..

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls