Flybe's days numbered?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)

• openfly
    Participant

FlyBe uses the same handlers as BA, Aviapartners. It looks as though this situation was brought about by the handlers rather than FlyBe directly. Aviapartner staff are so up themselves and can do no wrong. If they don’t like you then you get bumped. Believe me…it happened to me. I was totally innocent, but their managers protect their staff. Never ever have any communication with the staff as it might be misconstrued and you get bumped and left to your own devices.
    A friend of mine is European manager of a large airline. He was looking at new handlers at AMS, but dismissed Aviapartners for just this reason.
    The situation that these girls found themselves in is not unusual. Very sad.

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I agree Flybe is a ‘sad excuse for an airline’. I stopped using them a few years ago after several incidents badly handled by their unprofessional staff. I say this to make it clear I have no reason to trying to defend Flybe.

In this case, it appears that the passengers came into conflict with Flybe’s handling agent staff, not the airline itself.

Four young girls, returning from a weekend ‘festival’ in NL, have thrown out the ‘race card’, i.e. the loser’s card, and said they were “treated like terrorists” by the airline.

Flybe says the women were refused boarding because its third-party ground service agents felt “threatened by the aggressive behaviour and language used towards them by this group of passengers”.

In this case, my sympathies are entirely with the ground staff.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=947023]n this case, my sympathies are entirely with the ground staff.[/quote]

As soon as the aggrieved party chose to splash out their displeasure all over social media, knowing full well it would be picked up , in exactly the manner they wanted it too, they lost all of my sympathies.

Millennials, are fast becoming difficult to manage because they know how to manipulate social media to their advantage. Using its bullying powers as an immediate levering tool to any dispute they can’t resolve to their satisfaction through normal complaints processes.

If it turns out that the agents were in the right, I’d love to see their employers suing the girls funder the rights of privacy! legislation

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Millennials, are fast becoming difficult to manage because they know how to manipulate social media to their advantage

Anti-social media can be evil. A couple of years ago I intervened in a dispute between a friend of mine and a young woman who had knowingly sold him a seriously duff car. He was naive and trusting, she was evil and manipulative. Her immediate reaction, before even entering into a discussion, to my intervention and threat of legal action was : “I’m going to plaster you all over Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.”
    No idea if she ever did. For a start she’d never have found me on social media.

capetonianm
    Participant

I hear that Condor Ferries (the CI operator) are to be taken over by Brittany Ferries. Their current services are about as unreliable as FlyBe’s, and their vessels are scruffy and tatty. If Brittany Ferries can make them even half as good as their own services, they will present serious competition to FlyBe on CI routes.

This is something I will look forward to, as for each trip to the Channel Islands I have the unenviable choice of Condor Ferries, FlyMayBe, or BA. The only good thing I can say about Condor is that their staff are usually delightful and they do everything, often under difficult conditions, to help passengers.

capetonianm
    Participant

https://news.sky.com/story/regional-airline-flybe-in-frantic-bid-to-stave-off-collapse-11907407

Regional airline Flybe in frantic bid to stave off collapse
    The government is assessing whether it can help to prevent the collapse of one of the UK’s biggest airlines, Sky News learns.

Seen this movie before?

canucklad
    Participant

And the FlyBe soap opera continues.
    Not surprising when you dig a wee bit deeper and understand the capabilities of it’s most important financial backer
    And yet another example of when a saviour becomes the financial villain, simply because they over stretch themselves.
    I’m always weary when you hear that an investment fund is going to play the major role in a rescue package , especially when their involvement is in the retail and aviation industry.
    Interestingly, On the Cyrus website, there’s no mention of FlyBe ?
    Hopefully the government will flex their muscles and demonstrate a non-London centric approach when they realize how important this airline is to communities throughout the UK.
    Really hope there is a positive outcome and I’ll see little red planes overhead sooner rather than later

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Surely, if Flybe was that important to “communities throughout the UK” people in those communities would be willing to pay an extra 10% > 20% for flight tickets? Or, do they expect to be subsidised by other taxpayers?

Cyrus bought 40% and Virgin & Stobart 30% each so not just vulture capitalists. The CEO came from Virgin so has airline experience.

The obvious company to bail out Flybe is IAG / BA but then they would be accused of having a monopoly and of ramping up prices. Both statements would be largely true, but those in the “communities” would have the access that they seek, at a realistic price, and the UK taxpayer would reap more tax on BA profits. Win, win, win.

pheighdough
    Participant

One angle on this news today would be that Connect Air will allow Flybe to fold, this could clear some of the debt but like a Phoenix from the Flames, Virgin Connect rises with a new operating cost base, no debt and flying regional services…

But there is a gap between the demise of Flybe and the rise of Virgin Connect

capetonianm
    Participant

In some countries ‘essential air services’ benefit from government subsidies and certain tax exemptions. This should be the case with those that service communities that have no other viable links, and should be for the benefit of residents, not tourists.

TominScotland
    Participant

[postquote quote=986576][/postquote]

FaroFlyer, maybe paying more is an answer but Flybe are certainly not cheap compared to other carriers… Another take is that, given the level of subsidy that the rest of us are paying for transport in the Home Counties (Cross Rail, for example), maybe it is Londoners who should be providing the subsidy to the regions through taxation?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=986615]Another take is that, given the level of subsidy that the rest of us are paying for transport in the Home Counties (Cross Rail, for example), maybe it is Londoners who should be providing the subsidy to the regions through taxation?[/quote]

A very valid point, although it makes me shudder when I see how much season tickets are in the South east !
    Knowing how important some of these Flybe links are , I wonder if the government wouldn’t consider a variation of how they’ve managed the East Coast Mainline fiasco ?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

SimonS1
    Participant

Not a great start to the year. Both FlyBe and a couple of rail franchises teetering on the brink.

I’m not sure why the government would step in though. Cyrus, Virgin and Stobart all have money, why don’t they fund it?

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Breaking news

Flybe has secured survival as shareholders agree injection of more money, while Government will review APD.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls