Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 546 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Runways in London have fallen a long way down the agenda.

When 000s of finance jobs have migrated to Dublin, Frankfurt, etc and the locus of European finance is no longer London, those runways may be unecessary, anyway.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Big Dog,

What astonishing arrogance you have. How dare you. Interesting that, whilst pointing fingers, you repeatedly dodge the substance of arguments that contradict your viewpoint. Presumably because you prefer to seek the comfort of the Torygraph’s editorial pages.

Whatever the Leavers might like to assert, this issue is emphatically NOT over because just under one half of the country vehemently disagrees, we are witnessing “buyer’s remorse” all over the meedjah and we are simply not going to be told to shut up by hubristic Tory Brexiters drunk on the rewards of their bare-faced lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGow2rQRJU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03zjmdp

Even if the vote was 70:30, those of us in a minority would still be entitled to dissent. Do you understand that that is what democracy is about?

Have you tried opening your eyes and ears to the shock, horror, anger and disgust there is across much of the country – particularly the young. You might try to get out more – and that means moving beyond the certainties of the Torygraph’s opinion pages.

The expression is “you broke it, now own it!”

@Edski777 – 26/06/2016 09:47 BST
    @FDOS_UK – 26/06/2016 12:48 BST

+1

Edski777
    Participant

It also seems that every single political party is re-inventing itself right now. Nobody around anymore to take a decision.
    Tories a mess, Labour breaking apart, Lib-Dems nowhere to be seen, Farage drunk as ever and without a clou what next, Boris trying to play down the whole charade. No functioning PM.

Yes Prime Minister was a reality soap…..

Who cares about the economy and necessary infrastructure projects like LHR and runways?

BigDog.
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 26/06/2016 13:50 BST

I can understand now why being a civil servant and wannabe elite bureaucrat suited you, Maybe the analogy of a divorce will simplify things for you – the marriage begins to fail, attempts are made to reconcile however at the point of separation there are a host of heightened unfamiliar feelings – resentment, regret, doubt, angst/ trepidation – it is not pleasant but it passes.

You have a choice, continued resentment of the decision or embrace the future opportunity or move to a country whose populace is ruled by a politburo (your apparently preferred system) such as China, North Korea, Vietnam or another EU country temporarily as supranational leadership of its elites will hopefully soon crumble to dust.

Now back to your argumentum ad captandum.

SimonS1
    Participant

As far as runways in London are concerned politicians of all colours have weazeled out of their decision making responsibilities for some time and it doesn’t look like changing.

When the Lib Dems reverted to being an irrelevance and freed the Tories from the shackles of the coalition I though a pro-business government might make a move but sadly it wasn’t to be. Perhaps if the government had been a bit more dynamic on some of these issues we might not be in this position. Exactly the same as EU and Cameron’s feeble attempt at a renegotiation.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@BigDog. – 26/06/2016 14:09 BST

What is that expression we were taught in the playground about sticks and stones? Now run along and try and marshall a coherent argument rather than your stock response of issue avoidance and the personal “dig”.

FYI, I left the MoD in 1994 and spent years working in different parts of the private sector after business school.

To use the analogy of a divorce, point me one in which the two parties agree to be kinder, nicer and pleasanter to each other after the divorce? It just doesn’t happen and it is very unlikely to happen on this occasion either.

You could indeed do yourself a favour by understanding Agrippa’s trilemma.

BigDog.
    Participant

Anthony,

I guess ex-senator Cranston was your mentor, his repeated favoured quote was ” I don’t listen to the opinions of the voters. I’m in a better position to know what is best for them”.

I tried to be polite and rational, that didn’t work, so attempted to see things from your point of view but I can’t get my head that far up my a***.

canucklad
    Participant

Getting back on topic, so to speak

How can we expect a decision on the future of aviation in the south eastfrom a bunch of gutless half wits.
    Since Friday, the actions of our political elite reminds me why the majority,of our fellow citizens didn’t listen to their self serving rhetoric.

Edit….. What I meant to.add, all of them are acting like spolt brats because their guardians (electorate) have taken their allowance away.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

canucklad, another standout example of an abject failure in leadership at the highest level i.e. lawmakers in the H of C which mirrors the failings in leadership in the business world.

transtraxman
    Participant

Just as there is a petition to force a Commons debate on the having a second Brexit referendum (which at this moment is reaching 3.375 million signatures), there could also be a petition started to try to force the government and other politicians to make a decision on the runway.

It could be framed so as to include either Heathrow or Gatwick (or even both) to have the permission to build another runway at their own expense. The petitioners insist the government no longer postpones the decision and has it presented to the Commons for debate and decided upon before the summer recess.

It would need to be passed from forum to forum, agency, media publication, trade associations etc.etc. to achieve a wide distribution.
    Or would that be a step too far for the dithering politicians?

batterytraveller
    Participant

Possibly the debate should be as to whether Edinburgh or Glasgow gets an extra runway. They are likely to need it more after the finance industry flees London for a Scotland still in the EU.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Big Dog

Having had a re-read of your comments to date, your self-defined version of politeness and rationality is to refuse either to debate or discuss the points of contention, preferring instead your own take on ad hominems that you would, otherwise, deplore elsewhere. Try re-reading what you have directed at me. Every single contribution contains at least one personal jibe or sotto voce insult. It is a sure fire indicator that someone has lost the argument when, as with your postings, their standard resort is to play the man and not the ball. An ad hoc sprinkling of Latin is a mere diversionary tactic.

Time to remove mote from own eye perhaps?

In the meantime, it was interesting listening to the comments of one Philip Hammond (the Foreign Secretary) appearing on ITV’s “Peston on Sunday”.

“People were not told the facts about the tradeoff between immigration and [Single European Market] access…”

“The Leave campaign made contradictory promises. It has now got to explain how to balance the tradeoffs to the people in this country…”

You might also care to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGow2rQRJU

EDITED:

Being interviewed outside of the BBC EU referendum debate last week by roving BBC news journalist, it became clear that I was a Remain supporter. At which point, I was surrounded by a group of very aggressive and hostile Brexiters but the experience of Brent politics has taught me how to stand my ground. A “lively discussion” ensued with the hard-right Tory Brexiters, who were just so full of themselves, it really was a case study in hubris and arrogance. I responded point-for-point and there was, at least, a vaguely rational and logical discussion.

Then there were the UKippers. One of them, up close and personal, screamed in my face that back in 1944 a group of German industrialists had agreed to continue the struggle for German domination of Europe “by other means…”, resulting in the European Steel and Coal Community, the EEC and latterly the EU… When I laughed in his face, I was subject an outpouring of pure bile, venom and hate that had many around us looking on in horror. Thankfully, there was a substantial police presence in close proximity. The culmination of the UKipper position, when they realised that I had a response to every point and accusation that they were able to throw at me, was simply to turn round and say “you are a traitor…!” Actually, not the first time that I’ve had such an accusation thrown at me but never before in over forty years have I ever been subject to anything like this.

Oh, BTW, I took a view what was going to happen, shifted a pile out of GBP into the USD and am now sitting on a potentially massive profit so, whatever, I have coined it. Plenty of cash to fund substantial anti-Tory campaigns at any forthcoming General Election.

canucklad
    Participant

Actually batterytraveller EDI already has 2 runways and has factored in a 3rd parallel runway into their master plan for growth.

And will hopefully need it when the SNP get around to reducing APD and encouraging traffic away from the South east !

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@canucklad – 27/06/2016 12:49 BST

With the prospect of border controls springing up all around Fortress Little England (after all, that’s what Vote Leave promised), it makes complete sense for Scotland to pursue its own airports expansion on the basis that why on earth would you want to transit through London?

JohnHarper
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 27/06/2016 13:10 BST

Presumably Scots would need transit visas in Little England to transit LHR so given what they cost they will certainly go elsewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls