Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 546 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Heaven forbid

However, the debate is hotting up as today´s press shows……………
    …over Heathrow

“Doubts raised over runway decision following referendum,” (Travel Weekly, 27-6-16)

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/62125/doubts-raised-over-runway-decision-following-referendum

“Brexit ‘cast doubts’ on Heathrow expansion decision,”( Buying Business Travel, 27-6-16)

https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/2725874-brexit-%E2%80%98cast-doubts%E2%80%99-heathrow-expansion-decision

………..and about Gatwick.

“Gatwick expansion offers certainty after Brexit vote, claims airport boss”,(Travel Weekly, 27-6-16)

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/62134/gatwick-expansion-offers-certainty-after-brexit-vote-claims-airport-boss

………..However, some critical comments have been made by IAG´s boss…….

“IAG’s Walsh Warns Over Heathrow Expansion Cost”, (Airwise/Reuters, 22-6-16)

http://news.airwise.com/story/iag-ceo-walsh-warns-over-heathrow-expansion-cost

…….which might have some relation to Stansted´s expansion policy….

“London Stansted launches final phase of infrastructure improvements” (Breaking Travel News, 14-6-16)

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/london-stansted-launches-final-phase-of-infrastructure-improvements/

…….and that is without mentioning the forecast reduction in passenger numbers at the airports and reduced profits at IAG, Easyjet and TUI.

Whatever happens BT sister publication, “Buying Business Travel”, estimates a decision to be made by the UK government by 7th or 8th July next.

JasPat1
    Participant

Get a terminal at Northolt whilst we wait for these inefficient politicians to make any sort of decisions. I hope our aircraft/aviation/travel industry doesn’t go the way of the coal/ship-building/steel-making industries…..

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ JohnHarper – 27/06/2016 15:23 BST

Exactly!

BigDog.
    Participant

As expected – no decision,
    guess even why the tory leadership is concluded, there will be another excuse or review shortly after.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36671328

JohnHarper
    Participant

Am I being uncharitable thinking that Cameron has created and left behind a mess of a scale previously unseen on all fronts?

JasPat1
    Participant

Oh well, aviation industry going same way as other industries that have gone bust: ship-building, coal, steel, etc.. I hope this is NOT the case but have no faith in blooming politicians short-term selfish goals

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@JohnHarper – 30/06/2016 09:37 BST

Actually, quite the reverse, you are being remarkably charitable.

As I have opined here before now, Cameron has consistently put party (and its narrow partisan interests) before country with all the results we are now witnessing,

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Now we know mad May could be the next PM (excellent at deporting dying elderly ladies being looked after by their families but, of course not at deporting criminals) can we look forward to her building a new bigger better version of Hadrian’s Wall when Scotland joins the EU?

Edski777
    Participant

If you are in need of a bigger, better, wall talk to the Donald. He may be interested, although I heard he always wants to let the Southern partner pay for the whole project.
    No EU funds available for this project anymore, I’m afraid. 😉

JasPat1
    Participant

Let’s get on with it:
    1. Open Northolt to domestic/European Flights.
    2. Open Manston airport again for Cargo flights.

Get it sorted politicians, stop worrying about if you want to get re-elected or not.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Edski777: Thought that the Donald was now in trouble as Canada is to give mexicans Visa free travel. So President Trump will have to build a second wall across the US-Canada border at the US’s expense.

Not so sure about no EU funds for a super-Hadrian though: they may want to stop remainers creeping in to the enlarged Schengen area

JasPat1: +1 all the more necessary now it has been decided to delay the London Airport decision again

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@JasPat1 – 30/06/2016 10:56 BST

As has been pointed out on no few occasions in the past, Northolt’s position and the alignment of its runway directly conflicts with LHR so there is NO chance whatsoever of any transfer of commercial flights there.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

JohnHarper – 30/06/2016 09:37 BST

Cameron has his fingerprints on it, yes, but is not the only culpable member on the conservative side.

IIRC, it all started to go wrong at the time of the Maastricht Treaty and the emergence (or re-emergance, depending on your perspective) of the Eurosceptic movement, for which Bill Cash was an early spokesman.

This movement casued a lot of trouble when it came to the relevant bill passing through parliament and John Major actually resigned and re-stood as PM in 1995, in order to try to lance the boil, but the truth is that the conservative party has been divided over the issue since then.

IMHO, Cameron’s decision to grant a referendum was (at least to some degree) motivated by the need to resolve the dichotomy, probably with the assumption that the electorate would vote to stay.

So yes, Cameron bears some responsibility, but the conservative party (as a whole) has also got dirty hands – I can understand Cameron telling his Brexit colleagues, you made the dinner, now you do the washing up.

Edited: for the avoidance of doubt, I am not politically aligned.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Now, back to the matter in hand.

We should build a new airport in the midlands, with easy access to rail (integrated with the mainlines) and motorways.

With the right setup, people from all over England would be able to get decent access in 1-2 hours (and South Wales, too), with some areas (e.g. Cornwall and North Wales having longer journeys.)

London naturally assumes that major airport development should be in that region – as we saw in the Brexit vote, the rest of the country does not necessarily take the same view and its about time that a sustainable, strategic and rational decision moves the nation’s air gateway to the hear of the nation.

The London airports could still operate as regional ports (as could Manchester and others.) Scotland and NI could have their own separate policies, in line with devolution.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FDOS_UK – 30/06/2016 11:13 BST

Entirely fair points.

The blame for this unfolding catastrophe lies with the entirety of the Tory party, not just Call Me Dave. Returning to their traditional modus operandi, they are now busily stabbing each other in the bag and fighting over the potential spoils of power and patronage. The utter cynicism of the campaign of lies behind the Vote Leave campaign continues to resonate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGow2rQRJU

Any suggestion that this is just going to be forgotten in a matter of a week or two is delusional because of a level of division and bitterness across this country that I have never before experienced. The motes have fallen away from eyes the length and breadth of the country. For many who have lived a comfortable life and delegated their civic duty and political involvement to others, this has been the rudest and most brutal wake up call from their complacency. I have derived no pleasure in being able to say “I told you so…” to quite a few friends and family.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls