Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 546 total)

• WillieWelsh
    Participant

Surely there will be no need for additional runways until there is clarity of the situation regarding inter-European traffic. If we revert to the days of reciprocal traffic rights it will no doubt see a huge reduction of traffic in the south east as Easyjet and Ryanair are effectively closed down freeing up STN and LTN. Regional airports will lose almost everything except charter operations provided of course that people remember to apply for their Schengen visa for their fortnight in Benidorm.

Just imagine getting back to a situation where your options for London – Frankfurt are four services offered by BA or four offered by LH, all eight from LHR and a significant reduction on current capacity.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@WillieWelsh.

Cameron is gone. We are no longer living under Project Fear.

So I’m giving you permission to ditch the paranoia induced by all that negative messaging.

Sensible people in the countries which are not leaving the EU realise the harm it would do to their own economies by starting a trade war with UK.

For example, Markus Kerber (the head of the German CBI) said that Trade curbs ‘foolish’ if UK votes Leave, says German industry. So I think wise heads will prevail.

That unfortunately means that Ryanair are going to be with us for a while yet 😉

transtraxman
    Participant

@WillieWelsh
    Are you living in cloud cuckoo land?Your voting posture has clouded your judgement.

The best example of the future after Brexit is what already happens with Norway and Switzerland.

The travel concerns of this forum (about which we are talking) will reveal that nothing will change in that department. Easyjet and Ryanair will continue to dominate the European air transport markets as Norwegian has learnt how to do, despite being outside the Union.
    Pragmatism will prevail, unless UKIP and its Fifth Column decide to raise the drawbridge – in that case may reason and enlightenment save us all.

canucklad
    Participant

Evening WW
    Going to put a counter argument into your theory of reduced traffic, particularly the LCC’s….
    I’m going to hypothesize that once Michael O’Leary had opened the Pandora box that is the FR juggernaut there is no going back .That same juggernaut has shaped and moulded how ordinary people across Europe travel far more than the EU ever could. In other words, induced market forces rather than political dogma rules the roost when it comes to encouraging free movement of people.

EruditeSheep
    Participant

I found it somewhat amusing to receive this mail shot from Ruinair timed at 1:46 this morning:

“Celebrate Europe
    As the UK’s largest airline, we hope the UK will vote to Remain in the EU. To celebrate what we pray will be a big Remain majority, we’re launching a 1 million seat sale with fares to Europe starting from just £9.99 – less than the UK’s £13 travel tax – for travel in October and November, just after midnight tonight until midnight (GMT) Friday.”

Hoist by his own petard…….

WillieWelsh
    Participant

transtraxman – 24/06/2016 22:04 BST

Thank you for your insults.

You clearly think you know what will happen in the coming months, I don’t and there is no certainty about anything that will be settled in the future. As I’ve posted elsewhere, we as a family are now working to secure our future in Germany as we are not willing to take a gamble on our future security and prosperity. We’ll watch with interest.

SimonS1
    Participant

@WillieWelsh If you don’t know what is going to happen then your post of 21.38 is complete nonsense and total (pointless) conjecture.

Good luck in Germany though. The grass always looks greener but rarely is.

transtraxman
    Participant

@WillieWelsh – 25/06/2016 07:57 BST

I am sorry you perceive my comments to be insults. That was certainly not my intention.

I note your comments and wish you well n Germany. I also live abroad and have done so for some time. Your life is where you make it.

Alex
    Participant

Re the comment by Canucklad – I think you got it the wrong way around – the low cost airlines grew because the EU removed the protectionist restrictions which National Governments had in place and introduced the Open Skies Policy. Will the UK now withdraw from this – that is what is worrying Ryanair and Easyjet.
    The thing which will affect the Low Cost airlines is the downturn in the UK economy and the weakness of the pound which means people will not be able to afford to travel and the likelihood of expensive visas being introduced to control immigration into the EU once the UK is no longer a signatory to the European Arrest Warrant. Changing everyone’s passports to a UK passport will cost us £80.25 each unless as some commentators think – we will remain carrying an EU passport. That does not sound right to me – perhaps they will issue stickers to cover up the EU with a UK?
    Never mind – once Ireland and Scotland rejoin the EU we will all be able to go to Dublin and Edinburgh to get our cheap flights – assuming we will be allowed to cross the boarders!!!
    I travel all over Europe mainly for leisure but I think that will stop n the future. Why people think that tariffs will not be introduced amazes me – of course there will be tariffs – there have to be between sovereign nations and that will affect the transfer of all goods and services, and it is not only air travel that will be affected.
    The whole thing is going to be an absolute and very costly disaster!!

canucklad
    Participant

Valid points Alex…Particularly around deregulation
    I still believe that market forces will prevail over a potential vindictive reaction by the EU . After all FR has created bases out with the EU,as does EZ. And then you have a non EU company, basically Norwegian setting up shop in the EU.
    Supply and demand will force the politicians hand !

Edski777
    Participant

Canucklad, sweet dreams!

Listening to politicians from the EU and various member countries the UK is in for something special and they will make sure the UK won’t like it.
    The first victims have fallen already. The British EU commissioner has resigned today and Britain has thereby lost its vote and influence.
    Next Tuesday there is a formal EU-summit where British PM is attending. The very next day an informal EU-summit will be held by 27 EU-countries where Britain is not welcome, but where it is expected that real decisions will be taken.
    Despite the claims of Boris and Farage that Britain should take its time the EU has already appointed a diplomat to oversee the speedy divorce.
    The noise several high ranking ministers from EU-countries are making is that the divorce will be made as hurtfull as possible for Britain.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@Edski777 – 25/06/2016 23:55 BST

Everyone reading this thread can now completely forget ANY decision being taken on additional runways because HMG’s almost the entire focus has shifted. Vote Leave’s Panglossian “believe us, it will all be alright…” is now being brought into sharp focus and we are now in the realm of Project Reality. The UK cannot be forced into the Article 50 divorce proceedings immediately and the process will only begin once HMG formally submits a notification of its intent to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty. However, before it can do this, it needs a policy.

As Vote Leave essentially boiled down to a slogan and a collection of bare-faced lies and fantasies worthy of Dr Goebbels (see below), there is now a frantic scramble to put together something approximating to a policy and a negotiating position. Even with the highly competent British Civil Service having made (I would hope!) some contingency plans, it will probably take several months to put a formal position together because no two Brexiters have the same view of what they want to do. So just where do any of you really think that HMG’s focus is now going to be concentrated: runways or ripping up some 40 years of British involvement in the EU?

As an indication of the level of mendacity, deception and duplicity behind the Vote Leave campaign and why those behind it are going to reap a bitter harvest from one-half of the population, please see this from BBC TV Newsnight of Friday 24 June 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jTRoySFfo

and this from ITV’s “Good Morning Britain” of 24 June 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ktojE6WQA

It took less than 24 hours for the Brexit position on immigration, the UK’s budget contribution and additional NHS funding to start unravelling, or is that, “to be clarified”?

In the meantime, there is, apparently, a bad dose of “buyer’s remorse” taking place amongst many of those who cannot now believe just what they have done because they thought that they could just register “a protest vote…” with impunity.

As I will continue reminding people, the American essayist H L Mencken’s view of democracy:

“Democracy is the theory that the common know what is good for them and [they] deserve to get it good and hard”.

Edski777
    Participant

Anthony, indeed you can’t force them to invoke Article 50 immediately, but it looks as if the major powers, the six founding members, will do everything to give the UK a hard time. They won’t settle for a bunch of nitwits that won a referendum and now have no clue what to do next. A classic example of moving yourself into a position between a cliff an the deep blue sea. The UK just jumped off that cliff and now hopes the rest will lend them a hand to get the best deal out of it. The bunch that now has to negotiate with the EU has made the process extremely hard.
    What’s the catch phrase here: you get what you deserve? At least 2.5 million people have already signed up to think about the whole process again.
    First of all I would suggest the people in the UK have a good look at their present and future leaders. I won’t go as far as you do to connect them to sympathies from the past, but the methods used are similar: misinformation and outright lies. Manipulation of the masses to further your personal ambitions.
    MPs were elected to serve in the best public interest. The future will prove if they did. My feeling is that the future will pass a very harsh judgment.
    The world has come a long way since the Great British Empire. Britain has become, compared to countries like China, India, Germany, USA, etc., a midsized power. In a globalized world of today with all the increased mobility the economic issues, migration, security, financial stability, etc. depend heavily on cooperation, not isolationism. Islands don’t exist anymore if only in physical terms (when you close the Channel tunnel).
    In my view Britain has lost powerful allies in almost all of these fields. To remain at the level that you have now requires more than you ever contributed to the EU.
    It’s not often that you see a country waste 40 years of investment on feelings from the underbelly.
    Interesting times ahead as long as your job doesn’t depend on the relationship with the EU.

In the mean time a lot of money, effort and time will be wasted on a messy divorce in stead of fixing the real problems.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I was of the view that most of the posters on this forum over the years are by and large pragmatic and level headed who occasionally take exception to the odd confrontational post. Unfortunately the above comments seem to dispel that view. The referendum is over a decision taken. For the UK the EU this is, as has been said, unchartered waters. It will require sound leadership that has never existed in the EU and currently there is a vacuum in the UK. The comments I look for are the wise heads and one such comment via Phillip Hart quotes Markus Kerber from the German equivalent of the CBI. The EU elite might well be vindictive at a country that had the temerity to vigorously “rattle the undemocratic, unelected and unaccountable cage” of the EU.(very poor leadership) which only serves to support why we have decided to leave. Make no mistake the EU is in deep trouble with Anti EU sentiment on the rise all over Europe. It’s times like this that shape a country and I am confident the UK will prosper after some initial head winds.

BigDog.
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 26/06/2016 03:38 BST

You are better than that Anthony. Time to move on.

CathayLoyalist2 – 26/06/2016 10:44 BST
    +1

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 546 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls