Etihad A380 and B787-9

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

RF – the same message/thoughts came through after Singapore started to offer suites. I believe, the Singapore suites also caused a new booking class.

I don’t think many airlines, apart from the middles east carriers will follow suit. In the US, those that want that sort of space/comfort, generally hire Private jets…

On the basis that very few passengers pay for F class, I doubt very much that any European legacy carrier would introduce this kind of space offering…. Its a gimmick to me, well suited for the oil rich middle east…..

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

This obviously brings premium comfort to a whole new level. And i frankly can’t wait to see what Emirates will offer next.

It makes me wonder if there isn’t a market for such few suites on a route like LHR/FRA to North America, and why the likes of LH are permanently whining about reducing the number of F in their planes.

And the mile-high club will be welcoming new members in December….

1nfrequent
    Participant

“1frequent – normal first class (appartments) are just over £2,000 each way to AUH, quite reasonable.”

Thanks, nmh. You’re right – just been looking at Emirates and BA prices and it’s cheaper than them.

Certainly very tempting. 🙂

1F

nmh1204
    Participant

No worries

The prices in January 2015 from LHR to NRT in first class are roughly £2,500 each way for Freedom tickets, though only the flight to AUH is in the new first, the remaining three flights are in their current offering.

Flights to SYD, first class from LHR are roughly £3,000-3,700 for Freedom tickets as well.

Lufthansa LHR to NRT is roughly £5400 each way for First Flex tickets, and no flights to SYD or MEL were showing for January 2015.

I’d rather pay less, and the new first looks great, not tried the current first, so can’t say if the seat or service etc is good.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Funnily, I can’t recall Etihad ever losing their cowl flaps or colliding with a building! Perhaps that’s why BA’s tickets cost so much more as they have to feed and house inconvenienced passengers, not to mention paying for repairs!

SergentMajor
    Participant

I don’t recall British Airway’s passengers ever trying to set their aircraft on fire, either.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/20/passengers-terrified-fires-lit-etihad-airways-flight-australia

rferguson
    Participant

It in interesting to read Mr Al Bakar of Qatar Airways view on First Class and its future.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-sees-no-profit-in-boeing-787-first-class?

Although he doesnt mention his gulf neighbours it would seem he views First as little more than a loss making vanity project.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes. Funnily enough his comments were in response to a question I asked – I wanted his comments because we are running a feature on the future of first class in a forthcoming issue.

What he was actually saying was that First worked for BA because of its large point to point traffic, but for a carrier like Qatar, it would only work on very select routes (presumably the ones he is going to put the A380 on, which is going to be his only aircraft with First class on). Without business travellers paying for first, he doesn’t believe an airline can make a profit on first.

UrbaneGent
    Participant

The “Residence” is brilliant concept because it is going after those who may fly privately. Although still the hassle of having to deal with your fellow human beings at the airport and gate, and you have to leave when the airline wants you to, the cost difference is tremendous.

I called NetJets to get an idea: LHR-AUH Non-stop: CITATION X 4hr30min USD$74,000 (about); one-stop on smaller plane like Hawker 900XP and it goes down to $60,000 6hr30min. So, one may forgo the private flight and do this option, I would in a heartbeat. Regardless, you have to give it to Etihad for thinking outside the box – really brilliant. I assume the price is for one person?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Net Jets would probably have factored in a few hours of positioning. London – AUH direct, on a G4 work horse, should cost in the region of 50-60K USD..

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The Residence shows as “P” Class on GDS (which other airlines such as SQ/EK use or have used for there First Class Suites – Emirates have gone back to F and now use P as a Business Class code). Fare is marginally more for 2 people as extra tax to pay to but that is the only difference when looking at a One Way to Abu Dhabi.

Etihad still using F,A & R for First Class on the A380.

rferguson
    Participant

I think it’s difficult to compare Etihad’s uber luxurious offering to the likes of a private jet.

From what I have been told by friends that work as flight and cabin crew for netjets luxury is pretty thin on the ground on their aircraft and their passengers never query it. What they want more than a three bedroom apartment is the ability to say ‘I want to fly from this airport to that airport at this time on this day’. ‘And I want you to bring me back at this time of that day’.

I guess it’s a little like Concorde when it was flying – probably one of the most uncomfortable aircraft out there from a passenger perspective. Yet, that’s not what it was marketing – it was speed. And able to charge a premium for it.

I think the most common passengers that will be seen in a three room apartment on Etihad will be the same wealthy middle eastern families travelling on leisure that will be getting off in london and transferring to a three bedroom apartment at the Dorchester.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Secret to buying time on private jets is to only pay for what you fly and not to pay for what you don’t fly. Netjet is fractional ownership… if you get quotes without being involved in “ownership” or “timeshare” programmes, you will pay for empty legs and positioning flights.

As far as luxury is concerned, how much luxury can you get inside a small or medium sized business jet? Its the longhaul/heavy private jets that have the luxurious settee/beds/living rooms. Most of netjets aircraft are small, shorthaul, suitable for 2-3 hour hops.

I’ve flown 15 – 20 year old pj’s that would make these new 380/787 offerings look dated..

JohnHarper
    Participant

Mrs JH has costed The Residence for a trip to Abu Dhabi, compared to first it’s outrageous but do you know, we might just try it – once!

Tim, I think SQ suites book in to R class if you are paying the full fare, I think P is discounted F on either the A380 or 77W.

P seems to be being used for a range of different things in the *A at the moment, anything from F to deeply discounted C. Are there not enough letters in the alphabet to stop this happening?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi JohnHarper

You are right – SQ use R,P,F,A for the First Class Suite on the A380 but only F,P,A (in that order) for the 77W. On Thai P Class is the cheapest F Class offering so as you say – no consistency at all. Emirates when from having it as a Full Fare First Class on A380 / 77W to cheapest Promo Business Class seat. Think P on BA is Premium Economy using Avios – so every carrier has different codes for the various letters. Some airlines so use almost every single letter as a booking code – Aegean show 25 when you bring up availability!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls