Etihad A380 and B787-9

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

• esselle
    Participant

SimonS1

Do we have a new member on board, or have I been had?

mkcol74
    Participant

Esselle – it’s not the SM you perhaps thought it was 😀

SimonS1
    Participant

esselle – I sense a certain wind up taking place….

I know SM/VK is fiercely loyal to London Airways but surely he wouldn’t try to defend coffin class against this?

1nfrequent
    Participant

First looks incredible but the price tag is equivalent to a kidney for first class. I can imagine only the super rich really going for it and even then, you have to wonder why they wouldn’t do a private jet for that price.

I like the look of the business studios but again, not sure I could do the price.

1F

MarcusUK
    Participant

Innovative and impeccable design, clearly in line with Etihad’s philosophy of being a ” Hotel Guest” rather than a passenger, (and certainly not in a ” club”) .
    I had the pleasure of flying Etihad’s First class on 3/4 sectors LHR-SYD a few months ago, the whole experience being one of the best equal to SQ. But the ground services and ad ons, far exceeding this.
    Clearly, no other Airline has or will have anything near this.
    Many have said on here that a Suite was the way to go, with other versions left behind, but this surpasses event that.

A great opportunity to use new Aircraft for improved design, and prestige comforts, rather than packing them in. I thought Malaysia could have done far better with their A380’s but they pulled out of lounges a few weeks before, and installed cupboards instead, as one Purser told me.

Good to see wanting to keep ahead, innovation, and a completely different way of regarding travellers, in all the classes. Happy I have my Etihad Gold card, and next trip to Sydney would be fabulous in one of these Apartments or Studios!
    BA must be a budget bedsit based on a Travelodge model of welcome compared then, and how wonderful to be seen by and be able to see everyone all the time, no privacy or peaceful quiet time alone. Amazing what appeals to some!

MarcusUK
    Participant

Looking for LHR-SYD next Jan, i see the A380 on the LHR sectors.
    return in First currently £6,000, and Business around £3,300! This is on the Etihad website. Far less than some other Airlines!

Better sector for this luxury would be AUH-SYD, so be excellent once this is scheduled also. I am sure however, that they will not price themselves out for the Oceania routes, as stiff competition will remain.

nmh1204
    Participant

1frequent – normal first class (appartments) are just over £2,000 each way to AUH, quite reasonable.

The Residence however, is over £12,000 each way

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interesting concept by Etihad and probably/could be in direct competition with mid sized business jets…

One question about privacy. I presume there are no locks on the doors and will the butler/cabin crew be required to check in the private bedroom (or in fact anywhere within the “residence”) when / if the Captain switches on the seat belt signs during the flight….

mkcol74
    Participant

I did notice the price for The Residence was the same price irrespective of 1 or 2 pax.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just checked a few fares ex MXP in F and C. Not only is the cabin amazing but price wise it blows all the ME carriers out the water and leaves BA far behind. Couldn’t find any fares for the residence though!

The European carriers had better up their game if they want to compete.

SergentMajor
    Participant

Posters would be wise to note that you get what you pay for and BAs track record of flying since 1932 is far superior to new kid on the block Etihad, who have a short history, which is not to be trusted. The sound of a cool BA pilot informing the cabin that the left cowl flaps are gone or the aircraft just decapitated a building of little value is so reassuring,compared to some foreign accent.

There is something eminently unpleasant about these new suites, something of the night about them and they will no doubt be favoured by lounges lizards, union leaders and other scroungers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Etihad has now released an A380 seat plan.

It shows the improvements on the upper deck … but little change downstairs which is entirely devoted to Y class.

http://www.etihad.com/Documents/Experience-Etihad/flying-reimagined/Seatmap/A380-seatmap-1.jpg

SergentMajor
    Participant

At least Etihad have got the ‘beneath the stairs’ bit right.

rferguson
    Participant

What will be interesting to see is how this (amazing) Etihad offering will affect First Class throughout the airline industry.

Emirates has already announced it is to enhance it’s already fantastic First offering in response to the Etihad product launch.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303417104579541673159422600

I think it will make other airlines really question their First Class offerings and in many cases whether it is worthwhile continuing with it at all. Will be interesting to see if any other mid east or far east airlines step up to the new benchmark. I certainly can’t see it happening outside those regions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls