Emirates service deteriorating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

• Harryhdl
    Participant

I have been a regular flyer on Emirates for over 15 years achieving priority status (Gold) for most of that time. Of course, by keeping exclusivity on one airline, I am able to manage my frequent flier miles to the best advantage of me and my family.
    I know that Emirates has started loading extra charges for services like seat selection but this has not affected me as I easily reach the priority status where these charges are waived, but I must say that the in-flight service levels have deteriorated to a shadow of what Emirates had offered earlier.
    I have had staff being rude and offensive to me and my family on a number of recent flights and despite complaints to the Airline, I am always met with the standard response of “thank you for your feedback and we will address the matter”. Recently I even had to complain of a Flight Attendant that had been rifling through our personal belongings and there is no response from Emirates despite me clearly naming the staff member.

While I may miss the convenience of the connections offered by Emirates and the time that I spend in Dubai (either transit or in the city), I have taken a decision to take my business to an Airline that respects their loyal clientele or trains their staff to recognise frequent fliers. I can’t imagine what the service is like to first time fliers if the service afforded me as a priority guest is worse than any budget airline I have flown.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

So which airline do you believe meets the criteria? Most suffer inconsistency at best.

Harryhdl
    Participant

Dear G&T

Emirates ranking has been dropping on the League Tables, so perhaps try the services of the Airlines that are better rated. I must add that I have used some of the Middle Eastern and Asian budget airlines and the service and respect is exceeding that offered by Emirates.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Harryhdl – most of the contents of your post could be attributed to most carriers at one time or another, except for one part….

“Recently I even had to complain of a Flight Attendant that had been rifling through our personal belongings”

Could you elaborate a little please….

Harryhdl
    Participant

My wife, who was asleep felt someone rifling through seat pocket. It seems that another passenger was upset at being woken for meals, and the Attendant decided to provide him with the Do not Disturb sticker and since he saw my wife was not using the headphones, he was looking to take the sticker from her pack. When I complained, his response was that that the seats belong to Emirates and thus he had every right to do what he did.

I have yet to hear back from Emirates after almost a year with even an apology.

capetonianm
    Participant

“Recently I even had to complain of a Flight Attendant that had been rifling through our personal belongings”
    That sounds like SAA where crews were at one time believed to have been stealing from sleeping business class passengers.

Friends of mine have travelled 6-8 round trips a year on EK for the 12 years I’ve known them. Each time they say it gets worse and they will never travel EK again, but they always do because EK offer the lowest fares and a hefty baggage allowance, and they are very ‘price conscious’ (far be it from me to say tight!).

Their main complaints are about the packed flights (hardly a reason to complain), horrendous transit conditions at DXB, and the unhelpful staff. I’ve told them many times to go with another carrier but they are locked into the EK loyalty scheme and low prices, which is how third rate airlines keep their passengers.

Swissdiver
    Participant

EK is only now realising the concept of profitability without heavy subsidising. So they are saving money. In addition, they need to fill in these horrendous lorries of the air (read A380) and can only do that by pricing competitively economy class tickets.
    Their business class product is also average in my view, and I don’t think I am the only one to think that way. And we have to endure packed Dubai airport.
    So, yes, service is going down the drain…

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=822719]My wife, who was asleep felt someone rifling through seat pocket. It seems that another passenger was upset at being woken for meals, and the Attendant decided to provide him with the Do not Disturb sticker and since he saw my wife was not using the headphones, he was looking to take the sticker from her pack. When I complained, his response was that that the seats belong to Emirates and thus he had every right to do what he did.

I have yet to hear back from Emirates after almost a year with even an apology.

[/quote]

Well that is hardly rifling through your personal belongings.

But I agree there has been slippage. Irritating but minor delays, disorganization on the ground etc etc.

Things aren’t great for the ME3 at present – big losses at Etihad, sanctions hurting at Qatar and the squeeze being felt at Emirates.

Harryhdl
    Participant

@SimonS1 – The headphones was together with our personal belongings such as jewellery, mobile phones and medication. So I disagree that that this is rifling and the basic courtesy of asking was completely ignored and justified.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve used Emirates for a long time (10 years +) and should also declare that it is not one of my favourite airlines (because no-one is at home when things go wrong, as the OP experienced).

Emirates is excellent for IFE (the best I’ve seen), economy F&B and the seat comfort in Y on the A380 is good, whilst on the 777 its poor (10 abreast). EK also has a very comprehensive route network. The chauffeur service is aexcellent.

On the downside, the FF programme Skywards is one of the meaner ones and the J seats are not class leading, though F is excellent when suites are fitted.

I thought the deterioration in in flight service started more than a few years ago, when EK started to take on loads of A380s and I got the feeling they could not train cabin crew fast enough to maintain the impeccable standards of the mid 2000s, but that is only my opinion.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=822755] @SimonS1 – The headphones was together with our personal belongings such as jewellery, mobile phones and medication. So I disagree that that this is rifling and the basic courtesy of asking was completely ignored and justified.

[/quote]

I’m not suggesting it was right, and clearly it was discourteous. However the term ‘rifling’ is also associated with theft and I’m not convinced that was the case here.

Did you report the matter to the Purser? What did he/she say?

Harryhdl
    Participant

Reported to Purser and to Emirates Customer Service. Purser promised to get back, Emirates not even the courtesy of a response or acknowledgment that they had looked at my complaint.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’m not suggesting it was right, and clearly it was discourteous. However the term ‘rifling’ is also associated with theft and I’m not convinced that was the case here.

I understand your point, Simon, but I’ve seen police detain someone on circumstantial, behavioural, evidence (not on an airliner).

A cabin crew member who chooses to start physically exploring a place, whilst the pax are sleeping, where it is entirely likely and reasonable for a passenger to store their personal effects is, IMHO, putting themselves under suspicion, especially when the airline would have spare headsets in storage.

I’m not saying the crew member was stealing, but neither do I think the OP’s description of ‘rifling’ is hyperbole, even if the crew member was acting honestly.

Xavierq
    Participant

Im far from a frequent EK traveler but I use them twice a year through from LGW to SGN or KUL + other destinations. Im quite suprised from all comments that so many people are having problem. I genuinely dont find to have such a bad time with them. Maybe I didn’t fly them when they were at their pinnacle of fine service (only started using them 5 years ago) etc. I usually fly both Y & J and never really have any problems (sometimes older planes have seat issues). Last time I was on J, it was so quiet the manager took me and showed me around first class and let me sit down etc. The chauffeur service works out well for me too and never really have a problem in transit through DXB.

They are also well priced for most routes when you factor in chauffeur service and especially out of Cairo at the moment.

Hold you all have better trips next time

🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

G&T, I think Swiss and Lufthansa give consistently good service.

Capetonian, as a matter of interest, if flying Kalula and onwards (or inbound) with EK, they will allow you to check in two bags for free corresponding to your allowed EK baggage allowance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls