Emirates service deteriorating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

I suppose it depends how you define a ‘brothel’ as to whether “brothels are allowed or given free rein”.

On each of my two stays in DXB I stayed in international hotels, one was the Rotunda Towers in Shaikh Zayed Road and I can’t remember the other but seem to recall it was right at the other end of town. Both had bars that were packed with prostitutes and their prospective clients. You didn’t have to be in there long to see what was going on, unless of course you chose to turn a blind eye to it, as pairings took place and the happy couples went off to a room to appear separately or together later in the time it took me to finish a couple of beers (I am a slow drinker!)

As it happens I was working with a group of guys from Libya, Iran, and Syria who were on generous per diems, and who all took advantage of the opportunities offered. That I am not criticising, again I emphasize I am criticising the double standards of the authorities ….. unless of course they ‘don’t know’ that the bars of the hotels are full of hookers and clients, I suppose that’s possible. They could just be that stupid. Or not …………..

Or maybe they don’t even know about places like the Cyclone (I know it closed down a while ago but it was in full swing when I was there the first time), and I’m sure there are similar places currently operating.

I am fully aware that ‘that arrests are made, and deportations effected’, as and when it suits the authorities. For example when a poor innocent Emirati gentleman is dragged kicking and screaming into bed by a young female (non-Emirati) servant or maid and forced against his will to have sex with her, probably at knifepoint. Then of course the offending woman is deported or given lashes.

I know a young Romanian woman who went to Dubai to ‘work in a restaurant’ and she had the most horrendous experience. I accept that she was naive, stupid, and greedy, but the things that happened to her should not have been allowed in a civilised country, not that I am saying DXB is civilised. The treatment that she got from the police when she went to complain that she had been beaten and raped was barbaric, but she was lucky as she was deported after standing her ground. Brave girl.

Don’t even get me started about the slavery and the appalling conditions under which the imported slaves are forced to live and work, and I know that it’s not just in DXB, they are all tarred with the same brush.

It amazes me that 50 million or so people fly on Emirates every year, and that a few million spend their holidays in that place.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

If anyone at the CAA had the courage to do it then a simple directive “accept your responsibilities and pay customers what they are owed otherwise your air licence into the UK will be suspended” would probably bring about a rapid shift to pay. I guess Heathrow Airports don’t have to wait for their landing fees.

capetonianm
    Participant

ccCookie: Your response is predictable, but childish, emotional, inappropriate and shows a lack of understanding of English.

I stayed at Towers Rotana (thank you for the correction) for nearly three weeks. The Long’s Bar was pretty much packed with what appeared to be the same type of people every time I went in there, and I tended to pop in for a quick drink after work and then again for a nightcap after dinner. I can’t comment on how it is ‘these days’ as I’ve not been there for many years and cannot envisage a situation whereby I will have to set foot in that hellhole (DXB, not the hotel, which was excellent) again.

“(you could always Google ‘happy’ if I’ve lost you there.)”
    How very funny. I almost cracked a smile, but please don’t give up the day job.

“I’m sensing a certain frustration on your behalf.”
    No you’re not, your projecting what you wish to imagine. I hope you understand the difference.

“In a post of yours, you came out against drinking and prostitution”
    I most certainly did not, and this is where I suggest you learn to read what is in front of you, rather than interpret it as you want to. I made it perfectly clear that I have nothing against drinking, or prostitution, provided of course that the participants are doing it of their own free will and legally, which may not be the case in DXB but let’s not go off on that tack.

“You should have taken precautions. Maybe not have gotten so drunk. Did your room not have a safe? (I mean, to lock away your possessions/valuables) … or did you think that she was going to marry you? She laughed at your jokes, and you were so charming. Then, you awoke in the morning only to find that she had cleaned you out. Eh? (There can be few other explanations for your irrational harangue.)”
    That you make the above uninformed and childish comments proves your lack of ability to discuss anything rationally. You seem to think you’re funny. As I said, don’t give up your day job to become a comedian.

You can of course try to defend the indefensible as vociferously as you wish, but don’t resort to the type of imbecile tactics that your last sentence displays. You demean only yourself.

ccCookie
    Participant

Participant
    As the leading carrier of the Islamic UAE, they should adhere to the Muslim code and stop serving alcohol. Then as a next step perhaps they might do something about the prostitution and alcohol abuse which are so important to their tourist industry and the airline’s revenue.

But of course they will continue to turn a blind eye to it. Hypocrites.

“In a post of yours, you came out against drinking and prostitution”
    I most certainly did not, and this is where I suggest you learn to read what is in front of you, rather than interpret it as you want to. I made it perfectly clear that I have nothing against drinking, or prostitution, provided of course that the participants are doing it of their own free will and legally, which may not be the case in DXB but let’s not go off on that tack.

You’re not against drinking and prostitution.

do something about the prostitution and alcohol abuse

And so, it is not actually “abuse” if they are doing it of “their own free will and legally.”

At Long’s, did you see someone being forced to drink? Did you think of yourself as drinking illegally when you were in Long’s?

Sorry but, your first post is a duck quacking like you don’t like drinking and prostitution.

Don’t like drinking and prostitution.

Don’t like drinking and prostitution.

You can of course try to defend the indefensible as vociferously as you wish

LOL! What am I defending?? I’ve made some comparisons. Even conceded that there is prostitution in Dubai (or course, it is everywhere.)

vociferously

?? Show me the quote.

Allow me to quote you again:

I am fully aware that ‘that arrests are made, and deportations effected’, as and when it suits the authorities. For example when a poor innocent Emirati gentleman is dragged kicking and screaming into bed by a young female (non-Emirati) servant or maid and forced against his will to have sex with her, probably at knifepoint. Then of course the offending woman is deported or given lashes.

Sorry, this is simply nuts.

And … the last word comes from that bastion of logic and reason, capetonianm.

capetonianm
    Participant

My last word on this because
    a) it’s gone off topic, for which I accept some blame
    b) arguing with you is futile because you take phrases and quote them out of context to make it appear to suit your agenda
    c) your last post is pretty incoherent.

Try to read back to my first comments where you will see I’ve clearly stated that I have nothing against alcohol usage or prostitution. I am vehemently opposed to hypocrisy and double standards such as those that prevail in DXB.

I trust that’s clear to you, not that it really matters to me whether it is or not.

Do have a wonderful afternoon. Tot siens.

Harryhdl
    Participant

I agree that this post has gone off-topic and “Baie dankie capetonianm”

Suggestions are welcome on how to get the message across to the powers that be at Emirates and maybe even the Royal Court of Dubai.

Please share any contacts that would escalate the concerns as the Customer Service of Emirates are obviously covering these shortcomings.

capetonianm
    Participant

If EK (and others) are refusing to adhere to EU legislation, which I am sure is part of the agreement allowing them to operate to and from the EU, I would have thought that a case against them in court would result in either a default judgement against them, with the consequences that would bring, or ultimately and in an extreme case, a threat to suspend their traffic rights. Talking to the UAE authorities is likely to be pointless.

Does anyone know of a case where a UK passenger has taken any of these airlines to the County Court through the MCOL process? A friend of mine was going to do so but the carrier convinced him that he would lose the case and he didn’t go through with it. A form of bullying?

(Just for the record, it wasn’t I who reported post 823511 for ‘inappropriate content’. The fact that the poster and I disagree doesn’t mean that either of us is posting inappropriate content. I do wonder who and why!)

Edski777
    Participant

I don’t get the point here. If Emirates is breaching EU261 or any other EU legislation they can be held liable. Failing to execute a court decision can lead to further legal action against EK and more severe penalties. EK is in no way above the law. Exceptions to EU261 have not been made.
    In case of a legitimate claim: claim and follow the correct procedure.

But on service deterioration at EK: I haven’t noticed any in the last 2 years. But I have only made 6 flights with them, all on the A380 in C. I love the limo service. Lounges are OK. ICE is terrific as is the seat. Flight attendants are, as with most other airlines, somewhat unpredictable in their service. All in all they do a great job at an attractive price.

As far as standards are in Dubai: it seems at the same level as most western countries. So who am I to criticize them?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

In relation to the last two posts, Emirates have been taken to court and are (as we lawyers say) “vigorously defending” their position. These arose from two British cases, one involving a Miss Gahan and the other involving the Buckley family. There is quite a good article here summarising the position and arguments (which are a bit technical – I am happy to try to translate into plain English for any non-lawyers out there if you want). In short, the cases have gone to the European Court of Justice with various arguments, one being that EU261 doesn’t apply where a ticket is for connecting flights if the connection is outside the EU and the airline is a non-EU carrier. The reason two cases are being heard is that one is in relation to a situation where delay on the first sector (ex-EU and therefore clearly within the general scope of EU261) caused a missed connection, and the other where the delay was on the second sector and therefore related to a non-EU departure on a non-EU airline. I periodically do a google search to see if the ECJ has given judgment, as the case was supposed to be heard in July, but haven’t found anything yet. When I do I will be straight onto (a) this forum in order to give an update and (b) Malaysian who have used the pending judgment as a reason to refuse compensation (yet – in fairness they have clearly stated that this is pending the judgment and invited me to reapply if the judgment goes against Emirates on the relevant point) for two delayed connections.

To the point Edski makes in his first paragraph – it would be a brave regulator that terminated landing rights on the basis of its own finding that there was a breach of law, where the airline in question is challenging the application of the underlying law in the highest available appeal court.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Crikey, ‘ultra vires’ is a bit of a heroic argument, isn’t it?

I could see the Eurocrats taking serious offence to that, even if the CJEU accepts it.

JPNU
    Participant

Heading back to the original customer service theme of this thread – I am travelling from MCO to DXB on Emirates for the first time (so no status).

Check in was an absolute mess and I was shuffled from one queue to another. As I finally approached a desk I was told I wasn’t were I should have been and told to go to the back of the queue. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there wasn’t one. Fortunately, before I could respond fully to the idiot that said that, the woman that told me I was in the wrong place defused matters by offering to check me in anyway. It took less than a minute.

I have another flight with them in two days and am not looking forward to it.

That said, I have never experienced great customer service at MCO so perhaps it is the location rather than the airline. I hope I don’t have to add BA to my list of unflyables (BA and Delta).

K1ngston
    Participant

I was about to step in and strong arm the contestants apart, but luckily we seem to have descended back to where we started which was about the decline (or not) of EK.

I used to live in Jakarta and used them all the time to head home as they were the best, cheapest and easiest to get to LGW when travelling to the UK, I never had an issue, they were always busy but professional and I remember once someone describing them as the LCC of the sub continent which to be fair I found harsh.

Since then I have lived and worked in the Caribbean and now in SIN where the choice of point to point airlines means I have not flown them for a number of years. I have chosen to try them out this November when I am visiting the UK literally for the weekend as I have an event and the cost of a J seat to LGW is very good. I will update this track when I have done so..

As for the other arguments being offered, you do not need to go to DXB to see the “oldest profession in the world” being plied from the “in your face” variety to the more discreet. It is of course supply and demand and whilst never having partaken we all frequent the places and view it almost as a spectator sport forgetting the human lives and tragedy behind it.

At one point I thought it was a new service that EK were offering to its Premium customers now that would have flown in the face of “normal” 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

We know prostitution exists everywhere, and where it’s partaken of by both parties voluntarily I see nothing wrong with it. It’s the disgusting double standards and abuse in DXB that I object to.

K1ngston
    Participant

I get it capetonianm, I understood where you were coming from!

Harryhdl
    Participant

@K1ngston, Having not flown EK for a number of years, it will be interesting to hear your comparison of service levels from then to now. In my case, I have been loyal to them so the gradual deterioration is starting to become quite evident, especially when I fly other Airlines. I have flown AirAsia alot recently and even SouthWest in the US and have found that these budget airlines are offering better service than Emirates and their staff are better trained to serve passengers.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls