Disappeared thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

Maybe that is because one is perceived as working for the company (and rightly or wrongly) is perceived as having credibility and the other has made a point on several occasions of denying any links to the company.

Therefore the posters (reasonably, IMHO) wanted a reference from the person who has no links to the company.

That is why, IMHO, the traffic flows in one direction.

Personally, I don’t like asserted ‘facts’ that are not referenced, it may be (to be clear I am talking generally here) that this is a way of providing disinformation.

Agree on rferguson and let’s also have an honourable mention for HonestCrew.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I still dont understand what the issue is about where a poster works or obtains his information from.

If I am told on this forum to expect a sale with any airline and I am about to book flights, I really dont give 2 hoots how or where this information was derived.

I do find it quite boring that the same poster is continually targeted, probably more out of curiosity than anything else.

Another poster, who had her handle questioned when her style changed, has, as another poster put it, bought some fresh air into the forum. Who is she? Does it really matter? Absolutely not – but she did email me recently, which I appreciated.

I also find it unbelievable that so called mature adults delete themselves from the forum, make a song and dance of telling everyone BEFORE the event, only to reappear under another handle.

The sooner NF (thats new forum appears) the better.

Are we allowed to discuss and debate under Chatham House rules??

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

IMHO, if anyone asserts that a business made or did not make a decision because of ‘x’, that is very different to saying a sale is coming.

The latter will be self verifying, the former cannot be verified.

I can’t speak for others, but let me make it clear that (a) I am not interested in posters identities, but (b) I don’t wish to be the victim of disinformation.

I agree wholeheartedly about NF.

Have a relaxing, semi-retired, weekend 🙂

pomerol
    Participant

JohnPhelanAustralia

I totally agree with your comments, also dispair with the depth’s to which this forum has sunk.

V.K. has over the last few years, consistantly posted very very usefull information, which is almost always backed up by documented irrefutable conformation, whilst his detractors resort to playing the man instead of the ball, and almost never provide any documented evidence to substanciate their claims. ( I dispair)

As I have previously stated, for personal reasons, I have not contributed to this forum (for the record the only forum I do contribute to) for over a year now, I find the usual suspects are still ‘At it’ only under another ‘nom de plume’ (I dispair).

As John Phelan say’s, DO NOT ATTACK THE POSTER, address the arguement, surely that is not to much to ask.

Martyn I am in Bangkok from the 30th. August to the 10th. September if you are anywhere abouts, would like to meet up.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Pomerol – thanks for the invite. I am about to go to the States for a shortish 2 month holiday which ends around the first week of Sept. My plan is to go to BKK mid September.

There does appear to be a very strong BT Forum presence in BKK. It would be great to arrange a BT Forum get together, although I guess the logistics of getting us all in the same place at the same time would be challenging.

If there is a way for those who want to post travel plans to be created, i would gladly add my plans.

I also know that certain posters living in sunnier climbs have offered to meet up when people have mentioned possible visits.

I wonder how this could be developed? A weekend in Malta, I would certainly be up for that, but perhaps it is best to wait to see how NF is going to be developed.

When I am in BKK, I can generally be found in the Westin in the 24th floor lounge. Regular table always has a computer sat on it.

With regards to the comments in the above, I still dont undersand why people feel the forum has “sunk” to new depths.

If you think a thread is unsuitable, ignore it.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi Martyn/pomerol,

With respect to your earlier posts – I am firm believer in “play the ball, not the player”

I do think in this case, the ball was genuinely being played, before the conversation deteriorated.

I also agree with DoS – Fact should be referenced and backed up, otherwise its opinion. My sense is that the frustration occurs when opinion is passed of as fact to suit a specific argument.

I”m actually in BKK at the moment – enjoying breakfast at the St. Regis!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“A weekend in Malta

I’d be up for that, too 🙂

My travel journal (required for tax purposes) tells me that in 2012 to date, I have spent the following days as below

UK/Other places/Malta

15/110/51

RichHI1
    Participant

BT, this one of many threads which have been removed after certain posters cynically use the system whether by inserting swear words Or making overt political statements. I think you would be less Open to being charged with manipulation if you deleted posts and Not threads. It is obvious some will never behave in a courteous manner and some will refuse to let reason or facts colour their judgement. Being so easily manipulated to delete entire threads does not serve us best. Maybe the brave new world will incorporate a less shotgun approach.

JulianCucumberpatch
    Participant

Whatever the reason for deleting the thread I started, the fact is that BA are extremely sensitive about the new Mixed Fleet. A few management careers are riding on its success.

The crucible on which the prospects of MF are based will be the LAX route. It is a very high risk strategy putting MF exclusively on this route regardless of the rest pattern. My prediction is that BA will weather the storm this time, and will not acquiesce to demands to have them removed for reasons of poor service.

Keep an eye on schedule reliability to LAX from the beginning of July. If there are flight cancellations it will be interesting to see the excuses trotted out.

I_Was_Tete
    Participant

Goodbye – my ID Tete_De_Cuvee has been banned.

Am not going to reappear under a new handle. (except this one time explanation)

Reasons – First warning resulted from me saying Krug was ly.ng as I knew what he was writing was untrue. Boris can call Ken Livingstone a l..r on radio and TV news but it is not allowed here. Clearly the truth and integrity plays second fiddle content.

Exclusion resulted from a play on words.

Krug had written that he had been diving, purchased key diving equipment and was going again. However as FDos had correctly pointed out the name given by Krug (flippers) is not used in diving circles, they are fins.

To help Krug I added the post in good humour.

Krug as you become more au fait with diving terms, if you see a sign Diving with Padi , don’t expect to hook up with an Irishman – sorry to disappoint.
    (Padi is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors)

Further clarification on words included..
    – AGA, not a cooker but a full face mask
    – Clear – not a keyboard key but a term for depressuring/equalizing ears
    – BT – Not this forum/magazine but bottom time (calculated from depth of dive, air left in tank and rate of consumption)

There either appears to have been a humour bypass or lack of understanding by the moderator.

No doubt a few will be happy about this. I would like to repeat I am not and never have been a member of a union (except the obligatory NUS as a student), an employee or ex-employee of any airline, just a business traveller and someone who cared for the future of BA.

To many others it has been a pleasure communicating with you. I believe an explanation was due. It is now time for me to move on.

Best regards for the future.

RichHI1
    Participant

BT, may I suggest some reasoned consideration is overdue here? As previously posted I find this wite is being compromised by manipulation by some whatever their motivations may be.
    I welcome attempts to improve behaviour however I am dissatisfied in its implementation. It is unacceptable for posters to posit dishonesty and or falsehood on other posters but to me it is also unacceptable for posters to posit mental health problems on other posters due to their views. Offense and insults should be treated equally. Particularly as certain posters do demonstrate symptoms of stress, fatigue and possibly more serious conditions.
    My views for the little they are worth. As a lawyer I am often accused of wordsmithing but being Accurate in what you say to me is a good thing and it is normally possible to air one’s views in a way that do not cause
    Express offense.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Tete: I will miss your contributions, they are sound and at times amusing. I also think you provide good balance to counter certain views. I will miss you.

More and more, I come to the conclusion that we are not on a level playing field on this board. Posters are insulted and as RichHI1 says above have their mental health questioned in the most insulting manner. The last time I witnessed this the poster who was insulted quite rightly objected and has ceased to post. His contributions were valuable, balanced and I miss them. Some posts in that thread were deleted but the person who did the posting remains and continues in the same vein as before, belittling and insulting people when views contradict his own. When he was absent from the board earlier in the year, it was a far more pleasant place to be.

So, we see one set of rules for most of the posters and another that seems to apply to VintageKrug – maybe I will be banned for naming him and if so, let it be. His posts are in the main veiled antagonism of others – look at recent comments on Air Malta or adverts for BA, note the recent number of threads for the taste London event. Sweeping statements are posted as facts but as we have seen this week they are not sustained by reputable sources and yet he continues.

As a poster says above, if Business Traveller want to clean up this board, deal with the cause, not the symptoms.

lloydah
    Participant

Bye Tete, ride safely wherever you may be.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

For what its worth, I think this Forum would be a far better place if other travel companies/airlines/hotels groups had contributors who posted in the style of VintageKrug and rferguson.

I may be a BA supporter, but I also am an SPG supporter, Thailand supporter, Private Jet travel supporter, cross Europe by Train supporter and a BIG BIG supporter of having fun whilst on business trips.

VintageKrug and rferguson provide in depth info on BA, the good and bad.

This forum needs similar folk to provide info and support for the other travel companies, especially Virgin Atlantic, whom I wish I could support more but will not until their service levels improve.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Martyn: there is a huge difference between the credibility of rferguson who we know to be BA cabin crew and who posts solid information supporting that and VintageKrug who posts in a pompous and authoratitive style dismissing some and being antagonistic to others while consistently failing to support his position on anything. When he absented himself last Christmas/New Year the board was a very pleasant place to post. He returned, the antagonism started again immediately.

One we need and one we don’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls