Did BA stop the on-board Gold welcome?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 181 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

The official requirement is for the CSD to greet all Golds but as I mentioned earlier this is not possible some of the time. Where the CSD cannot personally deliver the welcome message they should be delegating it to the crew working in the areas of the aircraft where the Golds are sat.

I ALWAYS get a welcome on Cathay – although this is not always by the FSM. Just the acknowledgement period is nice.

BA319131 totally agree. Thankfully, BA are increasing spend on catering:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA-catering-enhancements

cityprofessional
    Participant

@rferguson No difference. To be honest, I don’t mind if I’m not acknowledged. It’s a nice-to-have. But it is nice to be offered a second drink, say. Doesn’t matter who does it, and it almost feels nicer if a junior crew member does it as part of his/her rounds, rather than a CSD/CSM wielding an iPad and flitting from one seat to another – that can make me feel a bit self conscious – e.g. when I was travelling with the boss the other day… he’s only silver 😉

goldaviator
    Participant

Flying BA back from Philly in First a few weeks ago, I was greeted warmly by CSD at the door with a ‘Welcome onboard Mr.GoldAviator, we’ve been looking forward to having you onboard today’ was walked to seat 1A, got a super fast service and was asleep an hour after take off. My partner who is also Gold barely got a greeting grunt, a point in the direction of 2a and was getting table set up while I was being tucked into bed! lol.

never mind inconsistent on different flight, happens in the same cabin on same flight!

SenatorGold
    Participant

It’s been a while since I received any recognition whilst on any BA flight. I pointed this out to a CSM on a flight from Port of Spain to LGW and queried why it was that on Cathay and Malaysian I was recognised invariably as an Emerald card holder (albeit with BA) and addressed by name throughout a flight but that this was hit or miss with BA. Her response was to shrug her shoulders, raise her eyebrows and say “Well, we’ve got lots of Golds on board”. That might have been true and I might have been more understanding had she adopted a more empathetic approach. I’m in KL at the moment awaiting to board a Malaysian flight to LHR. I will see what recognition if any awaits but I do know from three Malaysian flights in one week that I’ve invariably been addressed by name by cabin crew. In the past I’ve been upgraded to first on Malaysian, I imagine on strength of being a BA Gold. I’m flying BA to Johannesburg on Wednesday and will see what happens then. Perhaps I shouldn’t expect too much as I’m sure it’s a “Gold heavy” route but like others I have a perception of greater recognition in the past from BA. That said I’ve never had any recognition as a Gold on BA short haul flights even where Ive been one of a handful of passengers in Club.

openfly
    Participant

On long haul the good CSDs will come round and say hello. Of course on short haul this died out when the boarding card check was stopped. Now you are lucky to have somebody welcome you as they are usually drinking their coffee in the galley with their back to the boarding passengers!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What I do think is false and unnecessary is the

‘may I add my PERSONAL welcome to exec card holders etc’ announcement by the CSD or who ever happens to be in charge.

As for an in seat welcome, when it happens it’s nice and I don’t miss it if it doesn’t happen.

MartinJ
    Participant

A personal welcome is so far down my list of priorities that it simply doesn’t matter whether I get it or not.

NTarrant
    Participant

I had actually forgotten about it until this thread. I can’t remember the last time I was spoken to at seat by CSD. Although when I travelled in F recently the stewardess who looked after myself and the guy opposite introduced herself etc etc.

Certainly on CX the other week it was another crew member who came and introduced herself and told me if there was anything I needed, blah, blah etc, which whilst BA gold thought was good.

QF First some years ago the QF equivalent of CSD came around after the flight and asked if everything was ok and if we enjoyed the flight and thanked us for choosing QF

Irons80
    Participant

I am a mere Silver, but have been Gold in the past. I couldn’t give two hoots about a personal welcome or not. I think for some of the posters here, it’s a generational / DYKWIA thing… In my humble (but likely to be invalid on this forum) opinion, in each class, each passenger should be treated equally as equates to the service for that class. BA don’t claim to have or offer any specific special treatment on board for status passengers AFAIK.

As an IHG Platinum Ambassador, it’s far more important to me that my status is acknowledged, as special treatment IS supposed to be delivered.

travelsforfun
    Participant

I know it’s not the most important thing but it’s a nice touch.

I’ve had it regularly on QR, both as QR Silver (Ruby) and QR Gold (Sapphire) – and in Economy includes a question about meal choice, which ensures I get my first preference set aside (handy when it occasionally runs out). It’s so regular on QR that I notice when it doesn’t happen (seemingly always the Doha-London flights).

On other oneworld carriers, I think it was only Finnair who gave me such a welcome, on their transatlantic route.

I was even more surprised to be welcomed flying Aeroflot a few times – though it could just as easily have been because I’ve flown them a few times recently as due to my (AF/KL) Flying Blue status.

As I say, I appreciate it – though of course, I can also live without it. I think, as is often discussed on here, it comes down to a question of consistency (and managing of expectations) – either do it all the time or not at all. When it’s seemingly random, it adds to the impression of the airline’s service being inconsistent.

stevescoots
    Participant

I dont actually like it, i feel a bit awkward, but then thats just me. from the past year I can recall.

BA Gold, not once, used to be regular
    CX, not even a member but always get a special welcome
    QR, platinum, usd to happen always. not happened at all in about 2 years
    CZ, Always, even tho I am KLM gold

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Actually, I think it’s not so much if we welcome the “good to see you” or not……… It means a great deal to some and nothing to others.

It’s about a perception of service / care, & your custom being valued.

As I recall, it’s BA themselves who state that it is “only the quality their service which sets them apart from the low cost carriers”
    I clearly remember trainee cabin crew being told this on the recent BA BBC2, documentary.

Removing the flower from the washrooms is one thing….. not bothering to welcome your best customers is something else completely in my opinion – and it doesn’t cost anything so the pen pushers will be happy at least…

Perhaps another sign of a disgruntled cabin crew?

Wasborntotravel
    Participant

As a QF Top tier they generally introduce themselves 90% of the time, which if travelling business or first is welcomed but has less impact than say in Economy or PE were it often means first choice of food and/or earlier / extra drink

In terms of other OneWorld carriers:
    – Never been welcomed by AA or Finnair
    – CX about 75% of the time by either the CSD or Cabin Purser
    – IB was surprised on my last flight that I was welcomed by the Purser and offered a free drink when standard economy is to pay

Will be interesting to see if I get welcomed on my next BA flight

stevescoots
    Participant

I am on Finnair out to HKG tomorrow, will see if there is any welcome with them

K1ngston
    Participant

Good thread, however for me I couldn’t give a monkey’s I want good service with a smile everything else is a bonus! Having said that I am flying BA from KL in First next Thursday so I will update you all and then back to Singapore in J 4 days later, I will look for nay demand a welcome 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 181 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls