Did BA stop the on-board Gold welcome?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Cheeryguy – 26/10/2015 09:02 GMT
    handbag – 26/10/2015 09:06 GMT

I was one of those stating that I was the only Gold Guest List on a recent flight. This was BA0001 LCY to JFK and there were just 26 people on board.

Simple answer is that I looked at the manifest which had been left on a chair next to me (didn’t realise at first, what it was and then I was being nosey).

Also, as a close friend is an ex BA Captain, I am familiar with CIV scores etc.

handbag – I take your point about current staffing levels and can easily see that it may very well be difficult to personally welcome all Golds given the changes to job specs & decreased staffing.

Does anyone actually know how many BA Golds & how many Guest Lists there are these days?

Edited to add – It’s really helpful to have BA crew members respond personally on this forum – definitely helps us to see things from a different perspective – Thank you Handbag & RFerguson.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

@handbag I think BA do a stellar job with the resources you have available. CX crew are still some of the luckiest in the industry in terms of pay and conditions.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

Ah, I see.
    Thank you.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

According to Cathay’s website (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/747-400/747-400-74k.html), there are 17 cabin crew on a 744, serving 9F, 46J, 26W and 278Y pax (total 359 pax, or a little over 21 pax per cabin crew).

However, the 747’s are old configuration (the coffin seats) and not used on premium routes, and being retired (I think the last leave the fleet next year). The proper comparator would be the B777 as CX’s primary long-haul aircraft. There you have either:
    (a) 13 cabin crew on a 3-class flight – 40J, 32W and 268Y, for a ratio of 26 pax per crew member
    (b) 14 cabin crew on a 4-class flight – 6F, 53J, 34W and 182Y, for 19.6 pax per crew

So as you can see CX crew ratios vary quite widely.

handbag
    Participant

seasonedtraveller – 26/10/2015 09:35 GMT
    As Crew I have no idea, we are only told for each fligh.t I do get the feeling, that the numbers are way higher than they ever used to be. I am not sure if this is because it is now a part of discussion before flights or if there is so many more.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

@ianfromhkg 747 short flight is operated by 17, longhaul was operated by 16 I’m not sure why the website doesn’t reflect that, it maybe because we don’t operate longhaul passenger 747 flights any more.

handbag
    Participant

Have got to dash, but as far as I remember, depending on 777, it is 10/11 or 12 on BA.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

After perhaps a dozen flights without an on-board Gold welcome, I decided to give my Golden Ticket award to the next flight attendant who did a welcome. That ticket has been in my wallet all year and I actually wish I’d given it to a FA who upgraded me a few months ago.
    I flew LHR-PRG 19:20 last Friday 18th Dec. The flight was originally on time, but when I arrived at the gate there had been an incident involving the air bridge. This resulted in over an hour delay and so I returned to the lounge.
    During the flight I was in one of the first rows of economy. A flight attendant came to visit and apologised for the delay and asked if she could get me anything. Well, the second lounge visit had already resulted in a few extra drinks, but I couldn’t resist a Glenlivet 15-yr from the business bar.
    When the FA returned with two bottles, I handed her my Golden Ticket – probably much to her surprise.
    I’d encourage anyone sitting on a Golden Ticket to try and give it away during the festive season – even if it just for an extra packet of mixed nuts!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Well just completed two long haul one semi long haul with both long haul on the A380 and the other a 777. Had a visit and a good chat with the CSD on 3 sectors and highlighted this thread.As I commented before if the CSD is working a cabin and there is a lot of ‘members’ then a visit is unlikely. For the A380 where the CSD generally doesn’t work a cabin, then a visit is more likely. Two of the chats were in excess of 15 minutes and were wide ranging and on both of these cases I was talking to two ‘in touch’ and dedicated CSD’s. The impression I was left with is they wished for the days when BA was pioneering and innovative and not run by accountants. The jury is out on the new CEO albeit coming in as to what he will do given his background.

trippleF
    Participant

I too find the personal welcome ugly inconsistent but today’s experience on a long-haul in Club left me truly stunned. My husband (He is Silver) and I decided to swap seats. When the CSM walked up she very politely greeted my husband but completely ignored me. Throughout the flight we were both amused to watch the cabin crew giving him the extra attention and calling him by name, whereas I was not called by name once (we have the same surname!). I don’t mind my husband made feel so welcome, but the stark difference to how I was treated seems absurd. If there is a married couple on board why can’t the spouse be included in the extra personal service as a matter of politeness?

JohnHarper
    Participant

trippleF – 30/12/2015 13:44 GMT

That is appalling service but perhaps not surprising given who you were flying with. I’ve seen this on BA lots of times and even watched crew with manifest lists address one person by name and address the person sitting next to them as sir or madam. It’s just tacky.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

In the last 18 months or so my wife has accompanied me on 4 occasion, 3 in Bus Class, 1 in PEY and 1 in Economy. All the flights were on CX. Each and every time the IFSM spoke to both of equally and called my wife by her married name not to mention popping off to get another drink. I think that says it all

trippleF
    Participant

Thanks. Tacky is a good word actually – might make it a NY resolution to fly CX more often

SenatorGold
    Participant

Four days ago my mother and I flew from Dubrovnik to London Gatwick in Club on BA. I’m Gold and my mother is Blue. The CSM who was excellent addressed both of us by name. I remarked to her that this courtesy wasn’t always extended and she acknowledged this.

NTarrant
    Participant

Just done 3 J and 1 F on CX, called by name on all occasions, great service as usual from CX

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls