Concorde at Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 125 total)

• Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

In an effort to get this thread back on track…….

Having read all the comments I still believe there should be a place for Concorde at LHR. If CDG can do it surely we can? And better (undercariage up please).

Best memories of Concorde experience?

– 1992 Krug
    – Walking straight from the lounge into the aircraft parked just outside
    – First glimpse of the Connolly blue leather seats (I can’t remember feeling cramped as fuselage is only 3ft narrower than 737 and seating is 2/2 with 39″ pitch)
    – 1992 Krug
    – Ridiculous take off speed of 250mph and steep take off
    – Great staff, including Capt Mike Bannister, who were obviously proud of their aircraft
    – 1992 Krug
    – Nudge in the back when after burners re-lit over Bristol Channel
    – Shaking and rattling whilst bleeding off speed. This had to be done by pointing the nose up and was a very strange feeling
    – 1992 Krug

Flight BA001 LHR – JFK Seat 4A 04/07/2002 G-BOAF

esselle
    Participant

If you enjoyed the 1992 Krug, you should be sorry you missed the 1986 Pol CWC.

Vistaro
    Participant

I defy anyone to watch this and not have a sense of pride and a tear of nostalgia, for anyone that never flew in Concorde you don;t know what you missed, it was an era of innovation and change, an era that is unlikely to be repeated in my lifetime and one I’m proud to have lived through, for the naysayers enjoy the present and hope someone has your future and history in mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js3bsuwTYZU

TiredOldHack
    Participant

FX: moist-eyed

MatthewGibbs6
    Participant

Sadly back in my youth my income would not stretch to blasting across to NY on the Concorde.
    However, I do have strong memories of her from student days: Most mornings at about 1045 or so I would be awoken in my hall of residence in Reading by the knackered window frames shaking to the throaty rumble as she passed overhead. Never needed an alarm clock back then…!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Why dont they dump it at Cardiff at least there is more room and out of the way.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Why not put the Concorde on the roof at Heathrow and make it part of a major airport avation display.

I was in Amsterdam recently and with a couple of hours to spare noticed that they had a viewing gallery up top so took the opportunity to have a look.

Seem to remember that Heathrow had something similar many years ago but as for now don’t know.

Anyway Schipol is so well laid out and said gallery snakes its way around the top of the terminal for about half a mile with great observation opportunities and the usual hi viz telescopes, historical information, bars /restaurants and an aeroplane.

I noticed it earlier from ground level but thought my old eyes were deceiving me but sure enough there it was…. a KLM Cityhopper Fokker 100 sitting on the roof.

What a great idea and attraction…..if only.

Back to Concorde… from Bahrain to London in the late 70s (plumbers special) we used to be served up Don Perignom with single malt starters….definitely …yalla yalla

Took some pics at Schipol but found this to be better..

http://www.terminalu.com/travel-news/klm-plane-on-roof-of-amsterdam-schiphol-airport-becomes-latest-attraction/13349/

VintageKrug
    Participant

Apart from the obvious danger of plonking an aircraft on top of a building so close to a live runway at LHR (which could lead to confusion for those pilots less familiar with the airfield), I don’t believe the designs of the new terminals (sheds) would support a real aircraft (or even a model) either on top of or slung underneath the ceilings.

There used to be something on the roof at LGW.

epeek06
    Participant

They should just make a restaurant out of it…

Park it next to T5 with an air bridge linked to it so you can access once air side. Obviously re-arrange the seating inside, I’m sure that would interest some people.

I remember when I was young I used to love going to eat at a diner at Geneva airport where the diner was linked to a DC-8 (i’m not sure which plane it was). Sadly that plane is now gone at Geneva airport.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite a sensible plan, actually.

There is a mock-up Concorde restaurant in Hermeskeil, Germany of all places; I popped over after some meetings in Luxembourg a while ago:

http://www.concordesst.com/model4.html

Cakes tolerable, sandwiches to be avoided. Coffee undrinkable.

capetonianm
    Participant

BeckyBoop

Someone else suggested you wash your mouth out. It’s probably your brain that needs washing out. Before you post your semi-literate nonsensical ill-informed diatribes, why don’t you do a little research and apply some brainpower? Also show some respect for one of the finest pieces of engineering that ever existed.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite right, capetonian.

With due credit to Vistaro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js3bsuwTYZU

I remember my first flight on her vividly, down to the splendid egg sandwiches in the lounge. Superb.

epeek06
    Participant

Capetonianm,

Everyone has their own opinions, that’s what is so great about forums. It is all about sharing their own opinions regardless if they clash or are on the same wave length.

So why can’t people just agree to disagree? no need to ‘bash’ people about..

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t mind people having their own opinions, I’m all for it, when it leads to intelligent and informed debate. When those opinions are based on half truths and ignorance and expressed in semi-literate terms or ‘text-speak’ then it devalues both opinion and poster.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

cum n join d nu m2k capetonianm u may lkit wen u ariV , l8az m8

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 125 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls