Concorde at Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 125 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

At the Sinsheim museum in Germany, there is a Concorde and a Concordski on display, both of which can be visitqed inside. They’ve been there some time now and when last visited were in pretty good nick.

If the will is there, I’m sure a suitable spot could be found at Heathrow and it would be a great tourist attraction bringing good publicity to both BA and BAA (and the latter could really do with it) as well as some loot from viewing fees to help maintain it.

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

I’m a bit confused by some of these posts.

The Concorde at LHR has, as correctly stated, been shunted around for years which is a disgrace.

I am confused over some of the comments about maintenance required. Surely this would be minimal as the engines have been removed and all the hydraulics have been stripped out. It would just need cleaning and a lick of paint every few years.

I stay at CDG Hilton regularly and have never seen anything being done to the Concorde on display there (I think this aircraft looks dreadful as she is no thing of beauty with the gear down).

The Concorde I was lucky enough to fly on when operating BA001 to JFK, G-BOAF, is happily entertaining visitors at Bristol and, I am told, maintenance is minimal as the aircraft is never going to fly again.

There used to be scale model of Concorde at the roundabout at LHR but that is now repaced by a model Emirates A380 and I’m sure somewhere could be found for the full size version.

I don’t think it matters where it is put, or which terminal BA operates from, but it must be somewhere at LHR where the link is strongest.

Surely a good candidate for some lottery funding?

excessbaggage
    Participant

Actually that’s a good point – what happened to the scale model of Concorde when it was replaced by the Emirates A380?

epeek06
    Participant

The link below will explain what happened to the concorde model…

http://www.concordesst.com/modelmove.html

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Concorde will never fly again so its pointless having it. Donate it to plane museum otherwise just cut it up and sell it for scrap.

Lottery funding is there for charity and people in need not for maintaing old junk!

epeek06
    Participant

concorde = old junk… :S

its like saying might as well get rid of all the ancient pyramids around the world or the great wall of china… to you they must be just stones stacked together.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

YES Concorde = OLD JUNK!!

The pyramids and great wall go back to the dawn of civilisation and are still in used daily by visitors. Concorde sits and rots in the corner of LHR and probably at a cost to BA

BA already have one at Filton, Brooklands, NYC and one in the Bahamas do we really need any more??

edited

epeek06
    Participant

So? one should cherish and celebrate great engineering of the 70’s, there are about 16 of those birds, it should be sent to a different part of the world…

On the other hand, totally unrealistic but I would love to see the Concorde hanging above our heads at the check in section at T5

BeckyBoop
    Participant

You can celebrate the great engineering of the 70’s by visiting the Concorde at one of the above loactions that I mentioned in my last post. What fool would spend the money to send one of the 16 birds remaing birds around the world. I cant really see it sitting in ~Dubai… can you? Like I said before SCRAP IT!! they will probably get more for it!

epeek06
    Participant

lol well people were thinking about it…

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/concorde-wanted-as-dubai-tourist-attraction-report-13931.html

Yes I understand for instance you or me can easily go visit the plane at those locations. Unfortunately, some people are less fortunate than us, and its harder for them to do so.

For example, why not bring it to Johannesburg in SA? it would get a great deal of attention there. Okay the cost to get it there is an issue, but haven’t they already done so transporting the other planes? I don’t think it would be a major problem for them transporting one more plane.

🙂

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

BeckyBoop

Is Cutty Sark junk? Or HMS Victory? The Royal Yatch Britannia? SS Great Britain perhaps?

As for your comment ‘lottery funding is there for charity and people in need’ I can’t believe anyone is that naive

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

BeckyBoop

‘I cant really see it sitting in ~Dubai… can you?’

What next to that other piece of ‘scrap’ the QE2?

Priceless!!

esselle
    Participant

Becky

Get your facts straight.

BA do not have one at Filton, Brooklands, NYC or the Bahamas(except in is not the Bahamas, it is Barbados). Nor do they have one in Manchester. The aircraft you refer to remain in BA livery, but are not part of BA. The LHR example, however, remains part of BA.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Goldcardsaplenty

All the boats you mentioned are one off’s and from my knowledge are all paid for attractions if they need lotto funding then they should all be scraped as well. If this is the case (that those boats) it goes to show how bad Camelot are at running the lottery if they are not giving it to people in serious need.

The QE2 was bought by some investment arm connected with the Dubai World who intern are developing into a hotel!

esselle

Filton

http://concordeatfilton.org.uk/

Brooklands – ok this is an old one

http://www.brooklandsconcorde.com/

Barbods – ok i got this slightly wrong and said Bahamas

http://www.barbadosconcorde.com

NYC

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/The-Intrepid-Experience/Exhibits/Concorde.aspx

All in BA colours!!! :p

I am not sure why BA should keep one for themselves but maybe sponsor/endorse some of these places that do keep them!

ImissConcorde
    Participant

BeckyBoop – did you fly on the Concorde?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 125 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls